• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

My first time I really smoked some good stuff (not the ditch weed I grew up with in high school) and listened to "Turned on Bach" - yeah, totally psychedelic.  I took a 27 year hiatus, and still have never had that experience again.

I hate to say this, but it may very well be that with time and experience, the brain acclimates - which is to say, you are not the same person who had those psychedelic experiences.  Now the ground you walk on is "known" and "ordinary" - your brain doesn't recognize it as "novel" anymore.

That is not to say you couldn't, with mediation and mindfulness still notice those things, they are just not "new" anymore, so you don't think of it as "WOW" like you did the first time.

Just a possible explanation here, nothing to back it up. 

I would have to agree that there is surely a familiarity aspect going on but maybe it also has something to do with the fact that most of us have our first marijuana experience during development or puberty?

• Myc and SteampunkScientist like this

#22 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

The process of tolerance development is reversible (e.g., through a drug holiday[6]) and can involve both physiological factors and psychological factors

https://en.wikipedia.../Drug_tolerance

Both seem to be responsible, familiarity(psychological) and physical tolerance(physiological).

For the tourist such as I was, that has been traveling for days has not slept or eaten properly for those days. Has not been able to smoke anything for some time so tolerance is gone, can seek out a strain like that and have those experiences. Whereas an Indica will not do the same thing, in the words of Sannie the breeder of Shackzilla that is very popular in Amsterdam regarding the strain;

The Sativa effects and effect is unparalleled by any Indica dominate plant and there is a reason that there are so many Sativa lovers, including Sannie himself.

https://www.sanniess...minized-en.html

• SteampunkScientist and DaveyJonez like this

#23 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

It seems like the psychological familiarity is irreversible because even if you wait 30 years to smoke again, when you do smoke you're likely to be like "oh yeeeaaah weed, I remember this" similar to a old friend reminding you of a forgotten memory.
  • SteampunkScientist, OldBear and PistolPete13 like this

#24 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

My first time I really smoked some good stuff (not the ditch weed I grew up with in high school) and listened to "Turned on Bach" - yeah, totally psychedelic. I took a 27 year hiatus, and still have never had that experience again.

I hate to say this, but it may very well be that with time and experience, the brain acclimates - which is to say, you are not the same person who had those psychedelic experiences. Now the ground you walk on is "known" and "ordinary" - your brain doesn't recognize it as "novel" anymore.

That is not to say you couldn't, with mediation and mindfulness still notice those things, they are just not "new" anymore, so you don't think of it as "WOW" like you did the first time.

Just a possible explanation here, nothing to back it up.

I think this a likely explanation. People are expecting the same experience they had as wide eyed, carefree teenagers.
I suspect there might even be a specific point in the neurological development or some other bio chemical change in some people where thc and related compounds act differently on them. Seems a lot of people "go off" weed in their early/mid twenties.
Certainly the idea of getting sizzlingly high doesn't really appeal to me these days. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe I'm just turning into an old fart.
  • SteampunkScientist and DaveyJonez like this

#25 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

I've only had two psychadelic experiences with weed, the first time I got stoned (in the late '70's) and one time in the early '90s when a buddy and I smoked 6 grams of hash one night. I vividly remember laying under a ceiling fan, watching it in what seemed slow motion, with square tooth designs slowly pulsing along the edges of the fan blades while it rotated. The whole time I was laughing my ass off! It was great, but I've never gotten any open eyed visuals from thc since then. 

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#26 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,031 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

For me, I use the green anymore for when I want to get creative musically, or with the sacraments as they help a lot with stomach issues. The two work well together.
  • Myc and joeya like this

#27 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Vaping shatter at 420F is quite psychedelic for me..

#28 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,738 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

Look for extremely long flowering Hazes and Haze crosses. Neville's Haze, Original Haze, Lemon Haze, Black Widow, Hell I had a fairly psychedelic experience with some Dutch Berry the wife brought home a while back, but I rarely smoke anymore. Neville's haze flowered out to 140 days made me literally unable to speak and understand English man for an hour or so anyhow. I was floored, and that was when I had the tolerance of an elephant. 

Edited by Coopdog, 21 April 2019 - 08:43 PM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#29 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

Southern African (Zimbabwe and Malawi) and South Indian (kerala?) weed I smoked in the early-mid 90s was very "sparkly", but then I was smoking butoads at a time.
I had some himalayan chakras in the late 90s that gave me pronounced aural hallucinations, but only the one time.

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,800 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

I've had fairly intense experiences with some weeds.  Especially when I was younger, I could get ahold of some Afghani Kush that would make me unable to function with other humans, and it would distort my perceptions of reality around me.  I just don't know if I ever thought of that experience as psychedelic, at least  not at the time anyway.  At the time we just referred to that as stoned out of your fucking mind, lol.

IME for me, strong Indicas taken in heavy doses seem to be more in the realm of psychedelic.  Though for the most part, at least by my own definitions, they fall short of what I call a psychedelic experience.  But that may just be me playing with semantics.

• Myc likes this

#31 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,897 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

I understand where you're coming from Juthro and from my own personal experience, I can make the distinction for sure. 

The psychadelic weed from my own past experience caused me to have Open-Eye Visuals and hallucinations of an animal which was not factually present at the time. The fellows with whom I had consumed said cannabis used this opportunity (and my confusion) to give me a good-natured ribbing over the whole thing. All of these gentlemen were older and none of them had the hallucinatory experience which I had.

Maybe this is telling in and of itself. 

The gentlemen to whom I refer were easily in their 40's while I was only 19. 

They had a lifetime of experience with cannabis where I was young and still very inexperienced having only been smoking for just over a year.

Something to consider for sure. 

• Juthro likes this

#32 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,800 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for that clarification Myc.   I would say by your definition, I have not crossed that line.

As stoned as I have ever gotten,  I don't think I've ever had actually open eyed visuals, or hallucinations off of just weed.

• Myc likes this

#33 Trich

Trich

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

You can be a heavy smoker and still achieve hallucinations by simply eating decarbed edibles...it's scary to think about eating one after a 30 day hiatus as Myc mentioned. Anyone done it?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!