7 replies to this topic

#1 Psil0cybin

Psil0cybin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

Howdy folks,

I have recently begun my first grow using the PF tek and things are going better than I would have expected for my first grow, but still not perfect. Here's the story:

I made 2 jars, which took about 6 weeks to colonize (possibly my fault for not providing a consistent temperature). This was 2-3 weeks longer than I would have expected, but they eventually made it without contamination. After birthing/dunking/rolling/double end casing they began to pin like crazy within a few days. Each morning there was more pins than the night before, so I was quite excited. This excitement quickly wore off after the pins showed little to no progress after a week. One or two pins would grow to about 1/4 inch long, then just sit there. After over a week of waiting for the pins to grow I decided that they were all aborts, so I scraped the cakes clean to remove them before they started to rot. The cakes were feeling a bit light, so I re-dunked them.

It has now been almost 2 weeks since I re-dunked and re-double end cased and the cakes are repeating what they did the first time: lots of pins with a few that grow to 1/4 inch then quit. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Humidity in my fruiting chamber is consistently between 95-100%, temperatures are about 72 degrees F, I fan at least 4 times a day, and give them 12-14 hours of light from a 6500K "daylight" compact florescent bulb.

The "strain" is Puerto Rican, which (according to my research) is supposed to be a tough pinner. I seem to have no issues getting them to pin. I just can't get them to grow. The spores were from a vendor that gets pretty poor reviews (I should've researched them first...). Could this be the underlying issue here?

Thanks,

#2 Psil0cybin

Psil0cybin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

Alright, so an update to close out this thread:

Two of my cakes just finished their first flush. The third cake will be ready for harvesting in 12-24 hours and the fourth will be ready in a few days. The moral here is patience. It may take several weeks, but they'll do something eventually.

The cakes produced one or two medium-ish fruits and a ton of extremely tiny fruits. The tiny fruits are a bit disappointing, but they're better than nothing. Hopefully later flushes will produce larger fruits.

#3 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:31 AM

I do get better weight off a cake if I get a ton of tiny fruit, a pain to pick than just two or three big mushrooms, but way more weight..

Can't really tell if that is the case for you, no pics but that's my experience.
  • Psil0cybin likes this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

Really tiny, unacceptable tiny, I've seen with some random bad genetics. A beautiful colonizer, half the cakes never pinned, the ones that did were just too little.

In more reasonable size, I have had them produce similar weights though some cakes had 20 to 30 gram monsters and some had smaller clusters.
  • Psil0cybin likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:51 AM

Just genetics IMHO. Maybe clone from or print from the best fruit/cluster next time.

• Psil0cybin likes this

#6 PalatableAmbrosias

PalatableAmbrosias

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

Reminds me of a proverb including a tortoise and a hare. Glad to hear it worked out for you!

#7 Psil0cybin

Psil0cybin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

I do get better weight off a cake if I get a ton of tiny fruit, a pain to pick than just two or three big mushrooms, but way more weight..

Can't really tell if that is the case for you, no pics but that's my experience.

I got about 73 wet grams from my first flush. I'm happy since this is our first attempt. They certainly were a pain to pick. Some of the smaller ones required tweezers to avoid disturbing the ones that needed a bit more time.

I'll get pics if my second flush is similar.

Really tiny, unacceptable tiny, I've seen with some random bad genetics. A beautiful colonizer, half the cakes never pinned, the ones that did were just too little.

In more reasonable size, I have had them produce similar weights though some cakes had 20 to 30 gram monsters and some had smaller clusters.

Just genetics IMHO. Maybe clone from or print from the best fruit/cluster next time.

Genetics seems plausible to me. My friend just harvested some good sized mushrooms from his first flush from a different syringe. We're both using the same tek, same type of fruiting chamber, similar misting/fanning schedules, etc, so it's not our technique causing them.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Edited by Psil0cybin, 23 February 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

Sometimes bad genetics happen to the best of our efforts.

FailedCrosses.jpg

• Psil0cybin likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!