• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nitrqm3

Nitrqm3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hello people im a new member i been lurking for a year and decided to join. I decided to try growing for the first time using everything that i been reading in this website so far everything is good, but I decided to do a little experiment I inoculated a couple jars like 5 days ago everything with vermiculite and brf my experiment is a did a bag without sterilization to see how fast it get contaminated and learn from contamination and my own experience but as far I can tell is the bag is doing better than the jar that have been sterilized it’s weird cause everything looks good on both size.

Do anybody ever try to grow by just mixing verm + brf tossed them in a bag shooting with some spores and grow it without problems?

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

Hmm I was just commenting on all the unnecessary stuff we do for our hobby. Wouldn't that be crazy if you are the first person to try home cultivation without sterile techinque and succeeded with repeatable results? People try it all the time with the mindset "It happens in nature so I can just do it too" all the time. The OMC would have crashed before it started if it were that easy. I did see a post with someone that had an actual fresh cow turd from an area that is does now have psilocybe mushrooms incubating in his home waiting for mushrooms to grow and it did grow something, but not what he was hoping for.
I wish you much success on your science project! Be sure to take lots of pic and document everything so you can prove that we are all doing way more than we need and can sell our pressure cookers.

Edited by coorsmikey, 17 February 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• roc, Devu and deemesis like this

#3 Nitrqm3

Nitrqm3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

So far the one without sterilization is colonizing pretty nice with no problem no weird smell and no sign of contamination...

#4 Nitrqm3

Nitrqm3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:42 PM

The one with no sterilization started pinning with no contamination sign...

#5 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

I think the more important question is: Will I have consistently GOOD results.  Yes, you can grow mushrooms without worrying about sterilizing substrate and keeping sanitary conditions.  However, I've noticed that the people who want a "low maintenance" grow, usually do it outdoors.  And I don't know how many posts I've seen about the nice cluster that was harvested from the outdoor "dump pile" where the contaminated cakes got dumped weeks earlier.

The thing is, if you are going to grow indoors, or in any controlled environment, you are typically trying to create the ideal grow conditions.  Those conditions also happen to be favorable to a lot of other microorganisms that could just end up ruining your grow, or could have a negative impact on your health if left unchecked and introduced into your normal living environment (or consumed).  In addition, scientific studies have indicated that many indoor air quality is much worse than that outdoors, due to multiple factors.  This means that once you introduce a contaminant, it's much more likely to stay around for a prolonged period and if biological in nature rather than chemical, proliferate.  Outdoors you have certain things that help keep things balanced like full-spectrum sunlight, rainfall (yes, chemical properties different than tap water), more free ions, air currents, etc.  Outdoors is not free from its own pitfalls, as any gardener or farmer will tell you, but you get the idea.

That being said, results can vary so widely based on so many factors, everything from how clean you are in daily living, your geological location and environment, whether you own pets....  So, don't feel like you can't simplify things to your liking, but there are reasons why people go to the lengths they do.   For many it's more an issue of potentially lost time and revenue, than the risk of failure.

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:01 AM

Non sterile grow, pinning in less than two weeks. Nope. Not happening.
  • roc, coorsmikey and deemesis like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Non sterile grow, pinning in less than two weeks. Nope. Not happening.

At least no twice or with repeatable results. I have seen many strange things work once. I remember back in the day, I thought I would skip the spawn step and revolutionize cultivation. I inoculated a 6qt shoebox full of a straw-based substrate with 30 cc of liquid culture. It worked wonderfully! So then I decided to do 24 of them the same way. Taking pictures documenting everything so I come on the forum and post that ya'll don't don't need grain spawn. Well, that post never happened as 23 of 24 tubs failed miserably. I kept trying, thinking I must have messed up with my pasteurization or something. Boy was that a huge waste of time and effort. If I had just use spawn as normal, I would have many tubs colonized and fruiting before I had a few one-off successes. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!