104 replies to this topic

#21 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

Amazon has decent hygrometer, have one one all my fc.

Yea that's where Igot mine, it's cigar oasis analog hydrometer. Seems to be fairly accurate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I grabbed this one, only real reason was price and the sensors that can be mounted wherever you want. 41665f9c04bf4f52ebcda8505d159843.jpg

#22 NotFadeAway

NotFadeAway

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Keep it simple stupid--KISS

SGFC are one of the easiest animals to tame. My first PF grow was probably my best bc I just followed the Tek and didn't "tweak" anything. Our minds can be our own worst enemy sometimes. Mush Love and good luck!
  • roc, MycoAnt81 and Billcoz like this

#23 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Amazon has decent hygrometer, have one one all my fc.

Yea that's where Igot mine, it's cigar oasis analog hydrometer. Seems to be fairly accurate.

I grabbed this one, only real reason was price and the sensors that can be mounted wherever you want. 41665f9c04bf4f52ebcda8505d159843.jpg
How is the accuracy and do you leave it mounted inside. I tried to avoid anything digital, per reading that is waa better to stay with analog.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#24 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

It reads very accurately. I have a growing system that I originally bought, now it’s been severely expanded to a much bigger capacity, called a mushroom cube. When I did the expansion, I wanted to be able to monitor conditions in each fc so I got that unit previously mentioned. Haven’t had a problem with them yet, almost a year old now.

#25 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

If things are drying out too fast, just cover half the holes with a single layer of micropore tape.

If it's still drying out too fast, cover the rest of them with a single layer.

If it's still happening after that, you can double the layers but that shouldn't be necessary except in situations where you put way too many holes, but that's not the case here.

#26 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:34 AM

It reads very accurately. I have a growing system that I originally bought, now it’s been severely expanded to a much bigger capacity, called a mushroom cube. When I did the expansion, I wanted to be able to monitor conditions in each fc so I got that unit previously mentioned. Haven’t had a problem with them yet, almost a year old now.

Cool man I would love to see your setup. Sounds like everything is dailed in correctly, and picture(for me) are extremely beneficial in being able to see problems and knowing what to look for. Thanks for the insight!

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#27 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:38 AM

If things are drying out too fast, just cover half the holes with a single layer of micropore tape.

If it's still happening after that, you can double the layers but that shouldn't be necessary except in situations where you put way too many holes, but that's not the case here.

Thanks for the reply!I did try that, covered in 50%of holes with, no change. Covered them again with second layer, still no change, duct tape over the micropore holes, at this point my sgfc have been cut my half on the sides. Humidity still wouldn't go over90 % or hold water on walls. I ended up replacing the entire lid for one without holes and the humidity is seeming to be improving, when I put guage in for an hour it usually read between 95 and 100%. And it gets checked every few days for accuracy so it *Should* be accurate. Thanks so much for the advice, super helpful!

#28 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

Didnt have a chance to take pictures will I will after work today, while misting qnd fanning yesterday I seen some, what I think are knots, starting to appear. Hopefully it's just not my.mind playing impatient tricks on me. I will post pictures later for reference and I greatly appriciate all the insight given thus far, keep it coming! Thanks everyone!!

#29 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the reply!I did try that, covered in 50%of holes with, no change. Covered them again with second layer, still no change, duct tape over the micropore holes, at this point my sgfc have been cut my half on the sides. Humidity still wouldn't go over90 % or hold water on walls. I ended up replacing the entire lid for one without holes and the humidity is seeming to be improving, when I put guage in for an hour it usually read between 95 and 100%. And it gets checked every few days for accuracy so it *Should* be accurate. Thanks so much for the advice, super helpful!

Ohhh...you had holes all over the lid, too?

No wonder you had trouble keeping up the RH. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but pretty much all FCs made from totes leave the lids unmodified.

Sounds like you're doing much better with a normal lid. Let us know how things turn out =)

#30 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ohhh...you had holes all over the lid, too?

No wonder you had trouble keeping up the RH. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but pretty much all FCs made from totes leave the lids unmodified.

Sounds like you're doing much better with a normal lid. Let us know how things turn out =)
When I was reading and watching videos on how to do BRF tek I ran across the Lets Grow Mushrooms video, with Paul Stamets(prob spelt wrong lol) but he said 1/4 holes every 2 in on all 6 sides. The 6th side meaning the lid I assumed and fan mist 3x a day. Since though I have read countless threads, several hours a day over the last month or 2 and see much more problems with sgfc then anything else. Specifically balancing FAE and Humidity. I think I got it okay now but we will see. Woke up to q bit low humidity it looked like like overnight it got about 68 in grow room and there were no lights on so the air could of dried a bit. Not sure, but all seems well for now. Will deff post more pics when I get home as I think I have some knots forming and want everyone's opinion on them. :):)

#31 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

If you got it, you got it. Lot of folks moved away from that classic SGFC because many folks had trouble dialing them in. I used to use one, did great, but mine was in a pretty humid place, and always full of stuff. I'd fruit both cakes and tubs in it. That mass of substrate was important.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#32 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,203 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

Don't concentrate on the amount of water droplets on the side of the FC too much.

Rather pay more attention to the surface of the cakes/casing or uncased sub and the fruit is always my advice.

I grow in a partial open air style and I only pay attention to those 2 things. I mist when needed (the surface and the sides of the FC). Las I always say, knowing what to look for will come with practice and messing up a lot lol. But we are here to help. Good vibes.

#33 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

When I was reading and watching videos on how to do BRF tek I ran across the Lets Grow Mushrooms video, with Paul Stamets(prob spelt wrong lol) but he said 1/4 holes every 2 in on all 6 sides. The 6th side meaning the lid I assumed and fan mist 3x a day. Since though I have read countless threads, several hours a day over the last month or 2 and see much more problems with sgfc then anything else. Specifically balancing FAE and Humidity. I think I got it okay now but we will see. Woke up to q bit low humidity it looked like like overnight it got about 68 in grow room and there were no lights on so the air could of dried a bit. Not sure, but all seems well for now. Will deff post more pics when I get home as I think I have some knots forming and want everyone's opinion on them. :):)

Do you happen to have a link to this video with Paul Stamets? I seem to have missed it and can't find it in a search.

#34 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

https://youtu.be/Upe_Czq24Gg. That is a YouTube link to a portion of the video. When I found it it was 3 hours long. But they pulled it down and it took me forever to find it again, aswell. That link is the 30min portion but it covers the basic brf tek and how to setup sgfc. If for whatever reason the link does not work, just go to YouTube and try typing in something like "let's grow mushrooms paul stamets" that is exactly what I typed in and it ended up being the 4th or 5th video from the top, there is several parts. Its PS and RR I think. Not sure if it's the same videos you can but for 9.99 or not but either way I hope this helps! :):)

#35 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:57 PM

https://youtu.be/Upe_Czq24Gg. That is a YouTube link to a portion of the video. When I found it it was 3 hours long. But they pulled it down and it took me forever to find it again, aswell. That link is the 30min portion but it covers the basic brf tek and how to setup sgfc. If for whatever reason the link does not work, just go to YouTube and try typing in something like "let's grow mushrooms paul stamets" that is exactly what I typed in and it ended up being the 4th or 5th video from the top, there is several parts. Its PS and RR I think. Not sure if it's the same videos you can but for 9.99 or not but either way I hope this helps! :):)

Edit:I didnt type in pauls name. Only let's grow mushrooms qnd I got a bunch of RR videos. Which is the paul video.

#36 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Link is broken! I think maybe you have another bearded guy mixed up with Stamets, I don't think Paul would do any video on growing psilocybes and SGFC's. I do watch a lot of Pauls videos but Not RR's. Maybe Mark Keith?

#37 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

I remember watching the video not paying attention to names and then watching an interview with paul stamets and they looked relatively the same, maybe I was toking at the time and confused the faces. I know Jim Read was one of the names mentioned in the video and was posted by Marc Keith on YouTube so I believe you are correct and I did in fact confuse the two. Good catch and thank you for clearing that up for me. Apologies for the confusion to anyone who has read through this thread thus far. :)056f6bd9a4d62171f6deaf22f8c55f2e.jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#38 Kola

Kola

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

Got home and checked my cakes and I think things are heading in the right direction! I'm posting some pictures and I'd love to hear what you all see. I circled a few things which I *think* are primordia/ knots. Im gonna note just a few things and hopefully you guys see them aswell(and I'm not wrong) I'd absolutely love feedback on what I did not mark or just missed. There was just a few things I wasnt sure about and well, I didnt want to just circle all 4 cakes. :)

On cake 1.1 it looks like its starting to pin on the top and has little white specks, is that the first signs of primordia? knotting? Any difference? 1.3 is the same and I just posted 1.4 to see what yall think, is that starting to show signs or is that aerial mycelium?
Cake 2 didnt look like it had a whole lot to me, it does deff have some specks though. Is there anything that stick out to any of you?
Cake 3 is covered is my sparkly specks, unfortunately light was still behind the FC in picture 3.1 so it's kind of dark. Curious as to what that is and is it healthy? Is the clustering in one spot good or bad and what does it say about the genetics? I skimmed past something a few weeks ago that mentioned something about clustering like that but I dont recall if it was good, bad, or just irrelevant.
Cake 4 was hard to get a picture of cause it's in the FC and not a chronic, but looked like it's some specks aswell. And maybe the forming of a small knot. A little bruising aswell but I'm not sure exactly why, could be overhead mist or possibly fanning to hard. Other ones in FC dont seem bruised but they were dunk and rolled(rolling kinda failed so I DEC aswell) as opposed to just dunking. Anything I can do to help heal this beat up little fella?
I greatly appreciate all the input and suggestions so far. Keep them coming! 048bcbba3ddae0e443dabca78e31e7ef.jpg212011d6806b44d3eb47482ad0c04fc5.jpgdd4a2b0fafc1b4a8d4a1f5b64f109ccd.jpgc80c900c0aea6a6409d7e5fcea818892.jpg02a4576ca92e7a531a9b4f93404f80f0.jpg18a1ff4d5464edd01c5c5e8c3907ddeb.jpg001cd08ec90d81a0243aee3abe9f4343.jpg3ab8abac8f5f0c2af9182862652e231f.jpg2560a7ab24735d4bf4352374865027be.jpg1c43571be489691d9bc3691b89eacee1.jpg

#39 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

Cool man I would love to see your setup. Sounds like everything is dailed in correctly, and picture(for me) are extremely beneficial in being able to see problems and knowing what to look for. Thanks for the insight!

The fully modified/expanded mushroom cube. The bottom fc is being used for spawn incubation, all the black boxes have a heating element underneath them to maintain constant temp.
e90d19d6f4e99d024408fe99bb226c86.jpg

Edited by MycoAnt81, 21 February 2019 - 09:19 PM.

• Billcoz and DanceOfBliss like this

#40 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

Hell's yeah! Those cakes are gonna pin soon, nice.

Edited by Billcoz, 21 February 2019 - 09:41 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!