• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:09 PM

New to all of this, but not new to horticulture... I was curious as to best temperatures for incubation... general says 70 to 80 degrees but I have also read that 85 to 90 degrees is best for warm traopical mushrooms? Will running higher temps reduce colonization times? I had planned on limiting top temps to 90 to 95 if its ok and positive on results.

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hi Wolf, welcome!

Higher temperatatures will increase the ability for mycelium to grow fast, but:
Higher incubation temperatures equals higher risk of contamination! Keep it on the lower end of the spectrum to be safe. That's why most people do not 'incubate' in the sense of cranking up the heat.

Also, the substrate will eventually be a few degrees hotter than environmental temperatures, you don't want to cook things..

Cheers

Edited by RutgerHauer, 18 February 2019 - 05:59 PM.

• CatsAndBats and deemesis like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

Incubation should only be practiced by seasoned growers IMHO, and even then, I'm against it unless in very specific circumstances (some agar/lab work, if one lives in Iceland, etc). Assuming that you're talking about cubensis, I've grown cubes in the 60's all the way up to the 90's, the warmer the temps, the more critical execution of clean work becomes, and newer growers typically don't excel at clean work.

One should also keep in mind that all fungi that we grow generates their own heat. When I pick up a 6qt shoe box, I can feel that it's warmer than the ambient temp.

Oh, and HI!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 18 February 2019 - 06:11 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#4 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

I read in the “bible” for growers that you should keep them between 77 and 81 degrees. Over 81 increases chances for bacteria to grow. Temps too low can lead to your substrate to dry out before colonization can be completed.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

Toss that bible. That info is wrong. Cubensis does fine from mid 60s up. Higher than 75 promotes trichoderma. Lower than that won't necessarily prevent it, but does help deter it. Bacteria can flourish from refrigerator temps on up, depending on the type. Some bacteria survive freezing, some survive boiling.

Safest temperature range for newer growers is 65 to 75.

Incubation used to always be reccomended, it seldom is now, unless you're following an old tek.

None of this is a 100 percent rule. Its designed to be best practice for new users.
  • roc and RutgerHauer like this

#6 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

Toss that bible. That info is wrong. Cubensis does fine from mid 60s up. Higher than 75 promotes trichoderma. Lower than that won't necessarily prevent it, but does help deter it. Bacteria can flourish from refrigerator temps on up, depending on the type. Some bacteria survive freezing, some survive boiling.

Safest temperature range for newer growers is 65 to 75.

Incubation used to always be reccomended, it seldom is now, unless you're following an old tek.

None of this is a 100 percent rule. Its designed to be best practice for new users.

It's weird you say this because the "bible" I'm referring to came from this site specifically.  That was the first thing I was given.

#7 Musher365

Musher365

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

I’ve been incubating cubes(spawn jars and spawned substrate) at 82F for years and never had a problem.77-82F and you’ll be fine. Non actives like Reishi and Lions Mane, I incubate in the mid 70’s
  • Turtlegirl and deemesis like this

#8 deemesis

deemesis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

The cupboard above my fridge stays around 76 to 78. It works great, but if I didn't have that, I would not use any heat source to bring temps up.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!