• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hi! I started my adventure with growing magic mushrooms exactly 2 weeks ago (14 days). 3 days ago first pins were visable and they are growing sooo fast right now (like few cm per day). I started reading articles about how to dry them, when to harvest etc. But maybe i can get few more tips, cause in different sites i found different informations. One says that i can dry them in dehydrator/food dryer in low temperature, in second one i should pre-dry them and then dry with dessecant. In one they are saying that i have to harvest before caps will be opened in another they are saying it doesnt matter and i can wait as long as i want to harvest if i dont want to grow next wave in the same grow box (i dont even know how to do it second time in the same grow box, couldnt find this info). If You know something that can help me, i will appreciate that :D Here im posting pictures from 1st day and from today (14th day).  Im changing air every day at 3pm, and spraying some fresh water on top of box.

89bad9a5dee14.jpg

• Myc likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,407 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

Welcome!  Looks like you're on the right track. 

After your first harvest, you can flood or "dunk" the substrate to replace moisture which was lost to fruiting. 

Drain off the water and the colony will fruit again. 

You may be able to do this a great number of times - I've seen up to 5 and 6 flushes. 

• CatsAndBats and Tygrysek like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

HI MYC!

OP, I dry mine on a presto (?) dehydrator with no temp control, they turn out fine. I also have a little 6qt shoe box sterilite with holes in it inside of another 6qt where I put desiccant, I use this set up to finish stubborn fruits (read large).

Welcome aboard :biggrin: 

• Myc and Tygrysek like this

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

WELCOME !

• Tygrysek likes this

#5 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

After your first harvest, you can flood or "dunk" the substrate to replace moisture which was lost to fruiting. 

Drain off the water and the colony will fruit again. 

Thanks for help! :D So if I understand You correctly (eng is not my native language), after harvest i should pour water inside and then pour it out and start everything like in 1st day? :D thanks again

• Myc likes this

#6 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Welcome! Fruits lookin good
  • Tygrysek likes this

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

Welcome to 'topia!

14 days and 3 days ago pins!
Wow!
Did you get a colonized kit?

• Tygrysek likes this

#8 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

in the description it says "mature mycelium" (google translate, not sure if its right xd). I bought this kit (pic below):

grow-kit-mckennaii.jpg

• roc and PalatableAmbrosias like this

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,407 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for help! :D So if I understand You correctly (eng is not my native language), after harvest i should pour water inside and then pour it out and start everything like in 1st day? :D thanks again

You are correct. Submerge the substrate in clean water for several hours. It will float so you'll have to devise a scheme as to how to keep it submerged. There are several ideas floating around here. Here's one I found interesting:

https://mycotopia.ne...-for-2nd-flush/

You're a Free Member now so I'll move this out to the Magic forums for more views and feedback. 

Edited by Myc, 19 February 2019 - 05:33 PM.

• Tygrysek likes this

#10 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

You are correct. Submerge the substrate in clean water for several hours. It will float so you'll have to devise a scheme as to how to keep it submerged. There are several ideas floating around here. Here's one I found interesting:

https://mycotopia.ne...-for-2nd-flush/

Thanks! I think i will use Your advice :) I have one more question... should i clean mushrooms after harvest before drying? i think its logical to do it but some sources are saying "dont do this" etc :) thanks again!

#11 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

You can just kinda brush the sub off the butts with your finger, or a soft brush. If you twist and pull there shouldn't be much on there. Other than that I don't do much.
  • Tygrysek likes this

#12 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

What do You think about this? Can i do it and do not lose potency? :) it would be great cause i wouldnt have to buy dehydrator or desiccant. Thanks

ef185fa32990e.png

#13 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

I kind of rub with my finger a bit. Small amounts come off easier after drying.
  • JustAnEyedea likes this

#14 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 628 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

I just stick them on some newspaper in front of a fan for the day. Not sure about drying in the oven. Never done that before.
  • Tygrysek likes this

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Fan drying is better than oven. Oven is the only method I've see accelerate potency loss. If you do it, prop it open and point a fan at it.

Without getting them cracker dry, dosing will be inaccurate. I'd weigh and record before and after.
  • roc likes this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

I would not use an oven.

• roc and Microbe like this

#17 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

I would not use an oven.

I absolutely agree

• roc and CatsAndBats like this

#18 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:10 AM

I just stick them on some newspaper in front of a fan for the day. Not sure about drying in the oven. Never done that before.

So can i just grab some paper towels, put shrooms on it and then point my fan on them? :P normal fan? like this one im using to cool myself in summer? :D thanks for advice.

• roc and coorsmikey like this

#19 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:10 AM

So can i just grab some paper towels, put shrooms on it and then point my fan on them? :P normal fan? like this one im using to cool myself in summer? :D thanks for advice.

It does not take much air flow to dry them. Just enough to move moisture as evaporation occurs.
I have even used a dehydrator tray and set it above a floor heat/ac vent.
A/C really dries them out fast!

100_0143.JPG
100_0112.JPG
100_0211.JPG

Edited by roc, 20 February 2019 - 02:01 PM.

• coorsmikey, DreamingRaven and WolfWhiz like this

#20 Tygrysek

Tygrysek

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

Update. Here is how it looks right now. Few questions... I will get food dryer tommorow (probably) that i will use to dry my shrooms. Secondly 1 of them have bruise but its probably because he touched a little wet foil (i read already about it and everybody were saying "its ok, doesnt really matter" but is it true? :D). And finally - should i harvest them already (they started bend, and one broke his cap [cause he is big and just bend to wall of foil]) or should i wait.Thank You all! :D

693a81390bba8.jpg50a0d70dd2683.jpg

• roc and PalatableAmbrosias like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!