Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hello, I am a new member Interested in cultivation advice.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

Hello, I am Tabby, I've just started my first spawn bag. 

I will make my setup clear to give a good idea of the advice i am requesting, And most likely need. This IS my first time growing.

I've inoculated a 5 LB mycobag that consists of 2 LB of rye grain and 3 LB of substrate. 

I keep it in clean cardboard box inside a wicker chest. Inside the chest is a small heater that keeps the chest at 79 degrees. 

For my first week or so i touched and played with it way too much. This led to a delay, But mycelium is growing, And the grain is almost 20% colonized. 

I plan to bulk case it when fruiting, despite claims that first timers usually fruit in the bag. I have an 18 by 13 tub and a tray that fits smooth, And a spectrum growing light. 

Please correct me on any statements i made in regard to my process that seemed like not the right thing to do. As i said i am a first timer and am in need of advice. These are my questions:

When the bag is fully colonized, How should i go about placing the spawn into the FC? 

Is it a good idea to put a layer of vermiculite under the spawn and the casing mix on top? (I have read that PE does not fruit well without casing)

Should i keep the temp higher than 79 while colonizing?

Thank you to anyone who bears the long read to help answer my questions. Criticism is welcome, as i am still learning.

• wharfrat and SkeleDan like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,275 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

Hello, I am Tabby, I've just started my first spawn bag. 

I will make my setup clear to give a good idea of the advice i am requesting, And most likely need. This IS my first time growing.

I've inoculated a 5 LB mycobag that consists of 2 LB of rye grain and 3 LB of substrate. 

I keep it in clean cardboard box inside a wicker chest. Inside the chest is a small heater that keeps the chest at 79 degrees. 

For my first week or so i touched and played with it way too much. This led to a delay, But mycelium is growing, And the grain is almost 20% colonized. 

I plan to bulk case it when fruiting, despite claims that first timers usually fruit in the bag. I have an 18 by 13 tub and a tray that fits smooth, And a spectrum growing light. 

Please correct me on any statements i made in regard to my process that seemed like not the right thing to do. As i said i am a first timer and am in need of advice. These are my questions:

When the bag is fully colonized, How should i go about placing the spawn into the FC? 

Is it a good idea to put a layer of vermiculite under the spawn and the casing mix on top? (I have read that PE does not fruit well without casing)

Should i keep the temp higher than 79 while colonizing?

Thank you to anyone who bears the long read to help answer my questions. Criticism is welcome, as i am still learning.

I usually just cut the bag down to the sub surface, put it in a fruiting chamber for the first flush, cut the bag off for remainder of flushes.

a layer of perlite on the bottom of tub, to retain moisture and proper relative humidity (RH)

79 will be ok, do not go any higher, the mycelium creates its own heat, so 80 in the tub is 85 inside the substrate.. 75 is good to shoot for

no criticism, sounds like you are on the right path, welcome to topia  :biggrin:

• onediadem, SkeleDan and WolfWhiz like this

#3 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:39 PM

Going with a bag straight out the gate? Love it! I was too chickenshit to do a bag first, but I'm on my first couple bags also.

Welcome to the forum! Cheers!

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,453 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:25 AM

Welcome to 'topia!

#5 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:53 AM

Thank you all so much for the welcoming response. I am grateful to have my questions answered, And will definitely use the tips i have been given.

#6 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

I usually just cut the bag down to the sub surface, put it in a fruiting chamber for the first flush, cut the bag off for remainder of flushes.

a layer of perlite on the bottom of tub, to retain moisture and proper relative humidity (RH)

79 will be ok, do not go any higher, the mycelium creates its own heat, so 80 in the tub is 85 inside the substrate.. 75 is good to shoot for

no criticism, sounds like you are on the right path, welcome to topia  :biggrin:

Thank you very much for your informative response. I have read your mycobag guide multiple times, It has educated me well. As for keeping it in the bag, Resources inform me that fruiting in the bag with PE can result in a low yield due to their results when growing on cakes.  still i will not assume correctness in these statements since you seem to have success in your cultivation and i am yet to. 

I have the ability to lower the temp on the heater, But resources also tell me that 84 is a good temp for PE. This is why i chose 79. Still i will lower it to test out if it will colonize faster. 

I will use perilite instead of vermiculite on the bottom, thank you for that.

Do you believe my bulk casing will be successful, even if i do not fruit in the bag first? And do you think it will have a higher yield since i'm bulk casing?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!