• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

I've been waiting to see when i should mix up this mycelium, And now that i'm out of my probationary period i can finally ask! 

Is this ready to break up?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190222_173929.jpg
  • 20190222_173942.jpg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

If it were my bag, I would massage just the grain around to mix it more uniformly. Then let it colonize the grain a lil longer before mixing with sub. You definitely want all the grain colonized if you plan on opening it up. But the nice thing about bags is if you don't open you could possibly get away with mixing it all up right now. Then let it turn white and fruit from the bag or break it up into a tub or tray. Uncolonized grain in open air though, that's asking for trouble.

On a side note if you don't mind, How long has it been with that single inoculation point has it been? Also how much and what did you use to inoculate?

• Billcoz likes this

#3 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

If it were my bag, I would massage just the grain around to mix it more uniformly. Then let it colonize the grain a lil longer before mixing with sub. You definitely want all the grain colonized if you plan on opening it up. But the nice thing about bags is if you don't open you could possibly get away with mixing it all up right now. Then let it turn white and fruit from the bag or break it up into a tub or tray. Uncolonized grain in open air though, that's asking for trouble.

On a side note if you don't mind, How long has it been with that single inoculation point has it been? Also how much and what did you use to inoculate?

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I innoculated Jan 29th with a whole syringe of PE. There was a delay because i stupidly kept checking on it every day to see if it was colonizing, Since i was afraid it wouldn't at all. Ever since i saw it actually was, I've left it alone. I used the whole syringe because people said it would make it go faster, But now that i am reading more apparently it can make them soggy. Do you believe they will be soggy when fully colonized?

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:04 PM

10-20 cc will not make much of a difference in a bag that size. Faster and soggy is better than slow and soggy. Now adding 10 cc to a half pint PF cake or a cup of grain it can make it too wet depending on the starting content of water so it is not advised to add that much to those. Unfortunately, that is what a majority of folks post about and that info just gets read the regurgitated without considering the different applications. I would totally advise a whole syringe in your situation. looks like it has done well for you too! Ideally, you want a bag that size to colonize in 30 days. You can massage the grain around to help speed that up once the grain is at about 40% colo.

Thank for sharing your timeline. I am trying to decide if the bags that have that single SHIP on it is any better than the ones without. I happen to like doing multiple injections in different spots and taping the hole up. I just wonder how others would like that idea, plus it lowers the cost of the bags if I were selling them.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#5 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

10-20 cc will not make much of a difference in a bag that size. Faster and soggy is better than slow and soggy. Now adding 10 cc to a half pint PF cake or a cup of grain it can make it too wet depending on the starting content of water so it is not advised to add that much to those. Unfortunately, that is what a majority of folks post about and that info just gets read the regurgitated without considering the different applications. I would totally advise a whole syringe in your situation. looks like it has done well for you too! Ideally, you want a bag that size to colonize in 30 days. You can massage the grain around to help speed that up once the grain is at about 40% colo.

Thank for sharing your timeline. I am trying to decide if the bags that have that single SHIP on it is any better than the ones without. I happen to like doing multiple injections in different spots and taping the hole up. I just wonder how others would like that idea, plus it lowers the cost of the bags if I were selling them.

I'm glad that it won't be soggy, That was worrying me for a while. I also injected in multiple spots.  I do realize it should be colonized more, So next time i will be sure not to touch it within the first week. Does it look like it is 40% yet? im mostly wondering if i should break it up tonight or wait a day or so more.

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

#7 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

Thank you, Sorry, I didnt know if you were telling me to wait when you mentioned the 40%. I appreciate your advice.

• coorsmikey likes this

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

Are planning to fruit in the bag or a tub?

#9 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

Are planning to fruit in the bag or a tub?

I plan to fruit in a monotub due to claims that PE does not fruit well in the bag or on cakes.  I have an 18x13 tub with a tray that fits smooth into it. I know this is my first time and i should try the bag first, But i am entering the military within 6 months and i would very much like to have a higher yield. Do you think i will be successful with the monotub? i was gonna put a layer of perilite on the bottom and a layer of casing mix on top.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

Perlilte is commonly used in fruiting chambers for humidity. Not necessary for under your substrate but it could still work, thats not how we normally use it. If you let everything colonize in the bag the break it up into a tub. Set that tub in a large tup with the wet perlite in the bottom of the of the big tub. I would bet you a steak dinner that you get some fruits with or without a casing. A casing is just one more step that can go wrong, but if done correctly and good timing it can help. 

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

I'd do like mikey suggested and massage just the grain a bit. After the grain is mostly colonized go ahead and mix the entire bag up. It's pretty much like spawning grain to bulk. When that's done colonizing crumble into a tray and case if you want.

I've used these all in 1 bags before, about 6 of em. I dont reccomend them. You get faster results innoculating grain then spawning the grain, by at least a week.

I'm assuming you ordered those. Next time buy the seperate grain and seperate bags of poo to spawn to. Much faster. Much cheaper, too. That single bag prob cost 15 to 18$ when you could've gotten a 1lb bag of sterile rye and a bag of clean poo for less. I'm all for buying stuff pre made, but dont buy these anymore, they're way too overpriced and are just as much work IMHO

Dont try to fruit invitro in that bag. You'll get many more mushrooms out of that substrate if you put it into trays or tubs. Trust me, I've tried, and I am also a huge fan of bag grows, but The sub is just way too thick for optimum results.

You could mix that all up now, but its slower than if the grain was more colonized.

Goof luck, things look nice and healthy.
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#12 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

I'd do like mikey suggested and massage just the grain a bit. After the grain is mostly colonized go ahead and mix the entire bag up. It's pretty much like spawning grain to bulk. When that's done colonizing crumble into a tray and case if you want.

I've used these all in 1 bags before, about 6 of em. I dont reccomend them. You get faster results innoculating grain then spawning the grain, by at least a week.

I'm assuming you ordered those. Next time buy the seperate grain and seperate bags of poo to spawn to. Much faster. Much cheaper, too. That single bag prob cost 15 to 18$ when you could've gotten a 1lb bag of sterile rye and a bag of clean poo for less. I'm all for buying stuff pre made, but dont buy these anymore, they're way too overpriced and are just as much work IMHO

Dont try to fruit invitro in that bag. You'll get many more mushrooms out of that substrate if you put it into trays or tubs. Trust me, I've tried, and I am also a huge fan of bag grows, but The sub is just way too thick for optimum results.

You could mix that all up now, but its slower than if the grain was more colonized.

Goof luck, things look nice and healthy.

Perlilte is commonly used in fruiting chambers for humidity. Not necessary for under your substrate but it could still work, thats not how we normally use it. If you let everything colonize in the bag the break it up into a tub. Set that tub in a large tup with the wet perlite in the bottom of the of the big tub. I would bet you a steak dinner that you get some fruits with or without a casing. A casing is just one more step that can go wrong, but if done correctly and good timing it can help. 

After finally unpacking my tray i realized that i ordered the wrong dimensions. Now, there is a 13x18 tray in a 25x18 tub (I got the 13 from the height). It has a couple inches around the tray open. If i put the perilite in those spaces around the tray, Would it have the same effect as putting a small tub in a big tub? 

I will definitely get the parts separate next time. Will there be more of a risk of contams that way?

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

That size tray is fine as long as you keep humidity up, and provide FAE. That, and the substrate is between 2 and 4 inches for best results after putting in the tray.

#14 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

This is a follow up topic to my last post about mixing my mycobag. It's been a good 3 or 4 days, And it has definitely started colonizing the back now that I've laid it face up when incubating. I was instructed to mix when it colonizes the bottom and back more, Is this enough?

Also, I saw that the mycelium is a bit darker near the middle where it starts to colonize the sub  53169325_655738504855201_1252053743550070784_n.jpg

is this contam? or am i just paranoid? 

Should i move the sub up and fully mix the grain one last time?  Will i risk breaking the mycelium that's colonizing the sub already? Is that even an issue? 

I am a BEGINNER and this is my FIRST bag, I'm aware i should do separate bags next time. I'm just following up like i was instructed to do so. 

Thank you to anyone who helps. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 53507078_394528338026077_3948019163519254528_n.jpg
  • 53397814_855106744820559_264879918863613952_n.jpg
  • 53343699_2319012091661730_1764237153467891712_n.jpg
  • 52974011_1992432551062862_2803238576148447232_n.jpg
  • 52771842_328356004691339_1597489832794259456_n.jpg

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

That looks nice and healthy to me.

IMO leave it for another 2 or 3 days just to be safe, then mix everything together as thoroughly as possible.

You'll be surprised how quickly everything goes once the grain and poo are mixed.
  • roc and MycoAnt81 like this

#16 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Your pictures show that recovery was good and the grain is almost done and in some areas it's already feeding on the shit.

Mix that up well on Monday evening and it's going to take right off!

Looking great!

Edited by roc, 02 March 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#17 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

Your pictures show that recovery was good and the grain is almost done and in some areas it's already feeding on the shit.

Mix that up well on Monday evening and it's going to take right off!

Looking great!

That looks nice and healthy to me.

IMO leave it for another 2 or 3 days just to be safe, then mix everything together as thoroughly as possible.

You'll be surprised how quickly everything goes once the grain and poo are mixed.

Thank you. I will give them time and mix it all.  will it be a problem if some of the grain is still uncolonized?

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#18 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

You'll most always end up with a little uncolonized grain.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#19 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

That last pic looks like you have some bacteria going on.

• roc likes this

#20 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

That last pic looks like you have some bacteria going on.

will it pull through?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!