63 replies to this topic

#41 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

If its colonized, no. It will be a block that holds together and will stay where the plastic ended. The space is no biggie. Just dont cut the sides of the plastic off. Only expose the top after its colonized.
  • roc likes this

#42 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

If its colonized, no. It will be a block that holds together and will stay where the plastic ended. The space is no biggie. Just dont cut the sides of the plastic off. Only expose the top after its colonized.

Got it, Thank you.

#43 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:35 PM

Don't pack the casing just level it out.

What do you mean by level it out? like just sprinkle the quarter inch on?

#44 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,455 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:41 AM

Don't pack the casing just level it out.

What do you mean by level it out? like just sprinkle the quarter inch on?

Just use a fork to even out to get the 1/4 inch layer consistent.
Sprinkle it on and keep it fluffy.

#45 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:22 AM

How long should i wait until checking the bag again to see how it is colonizing?

#46 roc

roc

• 7,455 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

How long should i wait until checking the bag again to see how it is colonizing?

3-4 days but don't rush casing it until you see Mycelium on the top.

Post a picture for us to look at when you think it's ready.

• Deleena24 likes this

#47 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

3-4 days but don't rush casing it until you see Mycelium on the top.

Post a picture for us to look at when you think it's ready.

Alrighty will do. i'm resisting the temptation to check on it and i'll leave it for another 2 or so days before i check again.

• roc likes this

#48 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

The 4 pics look the same, But they're not. It was hard to get a picture of the top but there's like only a little dusty sub on the top and the bottom is obviously fully colonized from what I can see. I'm getting my monotub ready, Please respond and let me know some steps to putting casing mix on and transferring it to the monotub. Any sanitation advice, Anything really. I'm super nervous and excited at the same time.53661783_410111503075947_5388081385305014272_n.jpg 53540951_2305097936204231_2744858773616066560_n.jpg 53453777_320093802000787_6422900493386776576_n.jpg 54228816_388621175254425_498539814941884416_n.jpg  

#49 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

Beautiful! Those look pretty done to me.

Simply keep the bags filterside up, and use a knife or scissors wiped with isopropyl to cut the plastic away from the top only, this means your removing the filter. Dont cut away the sides, it will support everything and make it easier to case if you want. If you are casing, leave a little extra plastic around the edges so it will hold the 1/4 to half in of casing without it falling out of the sides. I'll try and find a pic as to what it should look like.
  • TabbyBoy likes this

#50 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Simply keep the bags filterside up, and use a knife or scissors wiped with isopropyl to cut the plastic away from the top only, this means your removing the filter. Dont cut away the sides, it will support everything and make it easier to case if you want. If you are casing, leave a little extra plastic around the edges so it will hold the 1/4 to half in of casing without it falling out of the sides. I'll try and find a pic as to what it should look like.

Will do, thank you. i just need to go get some perilite. Then ill be ready! Whats the preparation process on the perilite?

Edited by TabbyBoy, 12 March 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#51 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

These obviously aren't the same bags, but this shows the concept of how you leave plastic on the sides and bottom so it takes the basic shape of a tray. It also shows how to leave a little extra on the sides so any casing applied wont fall out. Those aren't cubes either, BTW. It's just an example pic, no need to flame me LOL.

However, casing IS optional for cubes, depending on how much RH your FC has. You COULD also just take the entire sub out of the bag and place it on a rack or tray in your FC. There are many paths to the same destination, my friend :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190306_134336.jpg

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#52 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:08 PM

These obviously aren't the same bags, but this shows the concept of how you leave plastic on the sides and bottom so it takes the basic shape of a tray. It also shows how to leave a little extra on the sides so any casing applied wont fall out. Those aren't cubes either, BTW. It's just an example pic, no need to flame me LOL.

However, casing IS optional for cubes, depending on how much RH your FC has. You COULD also just take the entire sub out of the bag and place it on a rack or tray in your FC. There are many paths to the same destination, my friend :)

Ive cut above the filter when i mixed it, How should i re seal that so i can only cut the top? And what does RH mean?

Edited by TabbyBoy, 12 March 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#53 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Will do, thank you. i just need to go get some perilite. Then ill be ready! Whats the preparation process on the perilite?
If it is plain perlite, no prep needed. Just get it wet, lol. You can rinse if you dont want the dust in it. If you keep standing water in it, I either add salt or a small concentration of bleach to the water, but that's just me.

If there is Miracle Gro in it, they say to rinse well several times with hot water before use. Not sure if its necessary because I never used it, personally.

Edit- dont over think the cutting of the bag. As long as the surface is exposed you'll be fine. The bag has served it purpose, it's there only for support and so the bottom has something clean to sit on.

Edited by Deleena24, 12 March 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#54 roc

roc

• 7,455 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

This old man is confused... are we talking casing with perlite or using perlite to provide moisture in a fruiting chamber?

I've never cased with perlite.

Earlier in the thread there was mention of the PE needing to be cased with something like miracle grow for it to produce correctly.

I've used vermiculite when I wanted to keep things real simple and easy.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#55 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

This old man is confused... are we talking casing with perlite or using perlite to provide moisture in a fruiting chamber?

Earlier in the thread there was mention of the PE needing to be cased with something like miracle grow for it to produce correctly.

The perilite i got has miracle grow in it. Ill rinse it but im using it for the humidity. i have casing mix.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#56 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

The perilite i got has miracle grow in it. Ill rinse it but im using it for the humidity. i have casing mix.

Yeah I thought so. Perlite for humidity in an FC, not a casing. And any other type of MG even for casing sucks IMO and is pretty well proven to be.

Some people do use the actual powdered MG for an additive with success, though.

I think what you were talking about Roc, is that people report less blobs and more regular fruits when a casing layer is used in general. That's debatable, too.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#57 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

So when do i use light? as soon as i put casing on and put in the FC? When do i start misting and fanning? How woould i know if the humidity is getting low and will need misted? 

Edited by TabbyBoy, 12 March 2019 - 06:22 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#58 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:33 AM

So when do i use light? as soon as i put casing on and put in the FC? When do i start misting and fanning? How woould i know if the humidity is getting low and will need misted?

The best way to monitor humidity is with a hygrometer. I use a unit I got from amazon that has a temp and humidity probe that you can drop in the FC wherever you want them. You’ll notice the mycelium getting dry after a couple days exposure in the FC, I usually must every couple days, since my system is setup to maintain FAE/humidity. If you’re using a SGFC then you might need to mist more regularly. Goin well so far, keep up the good work. Peace.

#59 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

Keeping things in the dark has no real advantages. In fact, light has been shown to be beneficial at most stages. Everything I grow, from substrate jars to dubtubs is given light every day from the day they're started.

Fanning and RH are much more important factors.
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#60 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

Keeping things in the dark has no real advantages. In fact, light has been shown to be beneficial at most stages. Everything I grow, from substrate jars to dubtubs is given light every day from the day they're started.

Fanning and RH are much more important factors.

I did my first mist and fan today, And i will continue to do it daily.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!