• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

I was able to find laser cut acrylic/plexi discs on Etsy that the guy can make 90mm, and I think could fit a wide mouth mason jar. Do you think those could withstand the pc tho? You’d be able to see in perfectly.

Edit: my fear is that they would degrade over time, or just flat out fail.

Edited by Bobotrank, 08 April 2019 - 10:34 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#42 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:50 PM

Its been done in the past. I don't recall the material.
  • Bobotrank likes this

#43 OldNef

OldNef

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:32 AM

Hi NotFadeAway and others

This thread was helpful to me, cheers fellas

I am a noob and have some MS plates looking similar and was facing a lot of the same sort of 'what step next' kinda dilemma

Hoping to do my first transfers tomorrow :cool: probably use the remainder of the MS plates to hit up some pints of oats if I can figure out if the plates are clean enough

I would take a photo for your better judgement guys (I tried like 100 times), but can't see shit through the condensation, poured them too hot was the problem I think, will do better next time lol

• NotFadeAway and RutgerHauer like this

#44 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

I was able to find laser cut acrylic/plexi discs on Etsy that the guy can make 90mm, and I think could fit a wide mouth mason jar. Do you think those could withstand the pc tho? You’d be able to see in perfectly.

That would be cool, though IDK if that material will withstand a PC. When I am inoculating an agar dish that I plan to isolate sectors from, it is easy enough to slide the jar/dish into a baggie and tighten the ring down, but it would be nice to have a see-thru disk like you are referring to, I'd try one out to see if it survives the PC.

#45 NotFadeAway

NotFadeAway

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:06 AM

Here are a few of the Isolates I did from the original MS plates in order to ensure a good clean specimen. My agar was almost perfect this time with the exception of some light condensation. These plates have been since added to oat grain bags and are starting to colonize. I plan to post the picture of the final fruits of each. Also working on good clean LCs for each one. APE has tested clean 2x. The Malabar I need to give another try. Dammit Mycology is stimulating!
2d7ca5c6118b40577815d2972b7e74ce.jpgda174b49f44304445665b5da3ff6cc10.jpg4d4129e47a1466d88b55b26c808816e1.jpg
  • OldNef and Bobotrank like this

#46 OldNef

OldNef

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

aww man

I hope my transfers are gonna look that nice

:cool:

#47 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 520 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Those look really nice! Make a couple slants to save and maybe do LC with those.

• NotFadeAway likes this

#48 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

Looks nice man.

#49 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:59 AM

That would be cool, though IDK if that material will withstand a PC. When I am inoculating an agar dish that I plan to isolate sectors from, it is easy enough to slide the jar/dish into a baggie and tighten the ring down, but it would be nice to have a see-thru disk like you are referring to, I'd try one out to see if it survives the PC.
I think I’ll give it a go, and report my findings. Otherwise I really like the plastic bag idea... but I’m a nerd, and nerds nerd. So let’s test some shtick.

Edit: holy fug, nice cultures NFA!

Edited by Bobotrank, 10 April 2019 - 01:01 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!