Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Do different Psilocybin species produce different trips?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sucondese

Sucondese

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

I've heard in various places that different species will cause you to trip in different ways, for example certain mushrooms cause you to see more visuals while other ones cause you to experience more profound thought, etc. Is there any truth to this, or is it just marketing hype much like the supposed existence of P. cubensis "strains"?
  • Rantrapr and Magnuso like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,619 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

Welcome Sucondese. 

Good question. From my own personal experience, it is not market hype. 

Southeast Asian strains seem to have distinctively different effects when compared to South American strains. 

You're a Free Member now so I'll move this out to the General Discussions forum for more views and commentary. 

• Sucondese likes this

#3 Sucondese

Sucondese

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

Welcome Sucondese. 

Good question. From my own personal experience, it is not market hype. 
Southeast Asian strains seem to have distinctively different effects when compared to South American strains. 

You're a Free Member now so I'll move this out to the General Discussions forum for more views and commentary.

Different how, exactly? Could you elaborate on that?

#4 deemesis

deemesis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

I love my Asian strains. In particuler Cambodians. They'r more potent then the others.

#5 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

I love my Asian strains. In particuler Cambodians. They'r more potent then the others.

“ they love you long time ! “ lol
  • Rowson, bezevo and deemesis like this

#6 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

Welcome to 'topia!

The Thai strains are more uplifting and head high for me and the South American strains have a heavier body load.

• Myc and Sucondese like this

#7 surfer8210

surfer8210

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:52 AM

Hi there,
Would anyone have any insight into the Amazonian strain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:20 AM

I think outside of a basic difference in levels of the active chemicals found in different species, an individual's preference, body chemistry and of course set and setting will be more significant in how they experience the different species.
As an example from my own experience, I use two different species, p. semilanceata and ps. cyanescens. To think about them or hold them in my hand, they have very different meanings or feelings associated with them. Objectively speaking, however, I think the basic effects are pretty much the same.
  • Sucondese likes this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

“ they love you long time ! “ lol

Hi, sailo boy.  I love you no shit, buy me drink.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

I think outside of a basic difference in levels of the active chemicals found in different species, an individual's preference, body chemistry and of course set and setting will be more significant in how they experience the different species.
As an example from my own experience, I use two different species, p. semilanceata and ps. cyanescens. To think about them or hold them in my hand, they have very different meanings or feelings associated with them. Objectively speaking, however, I think the basic effects are pretty much the same.

Those two have been 99% of my range of experience (only once having cubes), and I found them each quite their own experience.   But then, not too many trips seemed to relate all that much to other trips, outside of peripheral details.   In any transformative aspects, each experience seemed its own thing.   So much is subjective.  I don't suppose it could be otherwise.   We, our sets, as we perceive ourselves, change constantly, as do conditions in our settings.  So, how much my opinion is worth on this is debatable. 

• roc, Myc and coorsmikey like this

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

Different species of psilocybe have different effects? like say P. cyanecens compared to p. cubensis  ...you bet they have different trip intensity and quality. Same with azures compared to pans , semilancaeta compared to mexicana etc etc. Not only that but different cubes of the same species have different trip qualities (in my experience)as mentioned. Especially penis envy , redboy , albinos. Of course a lot has to do with the substrate and environment they were grown in as well as the stage of growth you harvest at. Nothing beats young and healthy fruits ...The trip changes as they grow and age.

Edited by hyphaenation, 27 February 2019 - 02:06 PM.

• roc and coorsmikey like this

#12 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

In my own experience (which seems to align with the majority consensus of experienced growers and psilonauts, as well indigenous Mexican Psilocybe using groups) is that yes, different species definitely do vary consistently in experiential qualities or signature. All the species I've sampled so far...P. cubensis, P. hoogshagenii, P. galindoi, P. cyanescens, P. semilanceata, P. azurescens and Panaeolus cyanescens...have all varied in character. Of these, I have the most experience with P. cubensis, P. semilanceata and Panaeolus cyanescens, and I find the differences in qualities to be reliable and consistent and to transcend external set and setting factors. I'm interested to sample P. azurescens again as it was very distinct in feel and vibe to any mushroom I've sampled previously. To compare one of my favourite species, Pan cyan, with P. cubensis...I find the former to reliably induce a much cleaner, clearer, more lucid and crystalline experience, much more colourful and visually detailed, and consistently blissful and ecstatic. It is very easy on the body, and the coming up period is much smoother than an equivalent dosage of P. cubensis. I find the latter to induce a heavier, more lethargic, slightly foggy experience that has more of a body load and more of an anxious come up, with more likelihood of dark content within trips. I'm not knocking the therapeutic potential of P. cubensis, but there are definitely other mushroom species I prefer. I am in resonance with the Mazatec who preferentially favour the more potent species, I think these result in a purer, more distilled psilocybin experience compared to P. cubensis, which at times feels like more of a diluted or muddy psilocybin experience, due I think to the larger relative quantities of fungal matter one needs to ingest to get to an equivalent place. There may be something to different strains of P. cubensis varying in qualities, but then again people report varied reactions to different flushes of the same strain, and external set and setting factors will definitely be exerting a powerful influence, and there is definitely a fair bit of marketing hype at play here designed to sell spores. I think the differences between species are when things become more interesting, and I think it would be good for growers and psilonauts to explore more of the species available. Certainly there is more to the mushroom world than P. cubensis alone.

• Sucondese likes this

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:40 PM

Penis Envy - for me about 2 - 3 times more intense per gram than, say Golden Teacher (your basic "cube"), that said, it is not much for visuals, hardly any except perhaps a bit of small "wiggles". Golden Teacher at a 6 gram dose and I'm talking to faces on trees, and they are talking back.

Very different trips.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 28 February 2019 - 10:40 PM.

• roc, coorsmikey, DaveyJonez and 1 other like this

#14 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:29 PM

I think natural serotonin levels or "current" brain chemistry plays a big part. My dopamine thrusters aren't what they used to be, I'm pretty sure of that. Then there are environmental constituents that are unique to the habitat, be they good or bad. The natural constituents always vary somewhat in their ratios from colony to colony, so I would think there is measurable difference across strains of the same family. I'm a firm believer in the molecule. If no other chemicals are present and the amount is the same, there should be absolutely no difference every time... except for how our brains allocate said molecules.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#15 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:27 PM

Might I suggest using Racetams based nootropics such as prameracetam along with your mushies. That will reboot your tired neurons. I have done extensive personal research into these combinations.
  • Oneyedraven, levicah, ScottFree and 1 other like this

#16 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Might I suggest using Racetams based nootropics such as prameracetam along with your mushies. That will reboot your tired neurons. I have done extensive personal research into these combinations.

Interesting.. have not heard of, can you elaborate? Always interested in
Learning more about nootropics.. just stacking ginko and lionsmane,reshi & cordyceps with microdose but this sounds intriguing.

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Well, Google Racetams, and/or nootropics Racetams and you will get a wealth of information on how they were developed initially to help Alzheimer's patients, but then it was found that they can profoundly affect cognitive abilities in positive ways in people without the disease.

One of the effects is better memory retention, faster and deeper insight, etc. They are Adderall without the negative side effects.

Combined with Psilocybin, I find deeper insight and memory of the trips, and easier time integrating what was learned.

Increasing you coline, and adding Huperizol to reduce coline up take, also increases your ability to be "in" the trip and send it to positive places when things go south, as they sometimes do.
  • coorsmikey, bezevo, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#18 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

I did Google racetams right after posting the request lol . Made me feel angry that this info is not common knowledge for elder docs (but big pharma is not out there 'schlepping' it so ...) . So many elderly suffering from memory loss problems that possibly could be helped by a simple addition of this.

I saw that one of them was a gaba derivative, which I also take and wondered if higher gaba levels contribute to efficacy? Thanks for the info!

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

This information would make an awesome Topic/Thread of its own. I'm sure I speak for many as well, saying that would love to see a thread on this subject. I am hoping that I can give ya a lil nudge to put your research, knowledge, and expertise together for us if get a chance?

• SteampunkScientist, bezevo, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Ha ha... perhaps one of these days I'll do a "Steampunk's Nootropic Turbocharge your Brain" thread... but in all seriousness there is so much information out there, and even a few forums and plenty of Reddits with people who know much more than I do on the topic,  However the combination of nootropics and psychedelics is a relatively new field of exploration so I may get to that at some point.  :biggrin: I would really like to hear from other explorers in this area to be honest!

• coorsmikey, Oneyedraven and levicah like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!