• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:55 AM

1 month ago I noc'd the bag. Today I checked on it and I have some form of growth happening. It looks like proper fuzz to me but there's something reaching out of it lol. It looks like it might be roots. Which is not what I'm looking for in this grow here...My camera will not capture the white fuzzy substance surrounding the growth. I'm pretty sure it's mycelium. I used 5 ml of a spore syringe purchased from lil shop. I bought the bag off Ebay from a place called Ancient Path Naturals. There's definitely some growth in there. The bag is contained in a 2 gal tote with some air exchange holes drilled out. No filtering as the bag has a filter. Minimal light exposure. Maybe a sliver from the frame?
 How's it looking guys? I was able to come up on a good sized Autopot so I have a pressure cooker now. I still have 5 ml left too. Syringe has been stored in the meat drawer in a ziplock bag. Should I start over and just diy the substrate for QC?
 I think all I'd really need to start fresh is verm and perlite. I bought a pound of organic Brown Rice from the grocery store. They had no BRF on the shelves. Just whole grain rice. THat would work once ground, wouldn't it? I don't need to buy special brf do I?
 Oh, I also have quart sized wm mason jars. so, I'd be starting into quart jars.

I'm stoned and rambling lol!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190227_103408(1).jpg
  • 20190227_103408.jpg

#2 Sucondese

Sucondese

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

That growth is really strange looking, do you think you could maybe get a clearer pic of it?

As for your question about BRF, no you don't need to buy premade rice flour. You can grind up or crush brown rice and it will work just as well.
  • CatsAndBats and novitius like this

#3 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

i tried to clean the image up. it was the best shot i could get. the humidity blocks out what the eye can see i guess.later tonight i can try get a better shot.

good to know about the rice, thank you Sucondese

Attached Thumbnails

• bag pic.jpg

Edited by novitius, 27 February 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

That looks like mycelium reaching for air and classic signs of not enough light IMO... if you dont see pins in a few days after introducing some more light, try poking a couple pencil sized holes in the bag.

I may be wrong though. How does the filter smell if you squeeze a bit of air out?
  • novitius and WolfWhiz like this

#5 Sucondese

Sucondese

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

That looks like mycelium reaching for air and classic signs of not enough light IMO...

Wait, I thought that no light was required during the colonization stage. I've heard of people letting the mycelium grow while they keep the jar hidden away in the back of a drawer
  • novitius likes this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I can't tell anything from that picture.

Light has been proven beneficial at every stage. Not particularly required for colonizing cakes, but doesn't hurt.

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

I can't tell anything from that picture.

Light has been proven beneficial at every stage. Not particularly required for colonizing cakes, but doesn't hurt.

Yes it is very hard to tell much of anything from the pic. I'm just guessing as best I could.

Blocking light during colonization isnt really necessary. Once in a while you just get pins on a cake before it's done, but that's no biggie.

I give light at all points of the mushroom lifecycle. Works purdy good IME lol.

#8 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:11 AM

I was hoping that it was mycelium reaching too. Air smells earthy and clean to me. If I am able to provide light to them would I be able to drop the bag into my Veg tent? All I'm using for light in there is a single LED strip, like a Flouro. I could put the bag above the light so it is not directly underneath with my plants. Temp stays around 75f and RH is usually around 65%. This run I'm growing in soil but so far the soil has proven clean. I recall reading somewhere not to do such a thing but I can't see why not other than spores riding the air or trich and the bag has a filter so...?

I tried to get a better pic and I just can't make one happen. The camera always focuses on the bag and not the substrate. Using a cell camera on a V20.

Thank you all for your responses and experience. I really appreciate it!

Edited by novitius, 01 March 2019 - 02:22 AM.

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

I was hoping that it was mycelium reaching too. Air smells earthy and clean to me. If I am able to provide light to them would I be able to drop the bag into my Veg tent? All I'm using for light in there is a single LED strip, like a Flouro. I could put the bag above the light so it is not directly underneath with my plants. Temp stays around 75f and RH is usually around 65%. This run I'm growing in soil but so far the soil has proven clean. I recall reading somewhere not to do such a thing but I can't see why not other than spores riding the air or trich and the bag has a filter so...?

I tried to get a better pic and I just can't make one happen. The camera always focuses on the bag and not the substrate. Using a cell camera on a V20.
Thank you all for your responses and experience. I really appreciate it!

If you're fruiting in the bag keep them wherever you like as long as they get at least a few minutes of light per day.

But if you plan on opening it, 65%RH is far too low to induce pinning.
  • novitius likes this

#10 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

Hello everybody!!!

Today is a good day! There are boomers in that bag! About a week after the previous post in the thread I decided to remove it from the closet and put the tub on the radiator in front of a window. It's been cold outside and the radiator emits a constant heat of 100* according to my little  digital thermometer. So I bought 1 gal of verm and left it sealed inside the shipping package and just laid the bag on that to buffer leaving the ambient temp surrounding the bag at about 85* The bag remains humid and smelling as it did on day 0. Today I checked and there are some caps showing. I counted 4 I think. It's still almost impossible to get a pic through the bag. Again , the image is blurry but you can see one on the side of the bag. :biggrin: Also the mycelium seems to be thick, like a matting.Is that an indication I could possibly remove some and use it to noc seperate substrate or even just move it along parts that aren't covered now? The substrate was a rather solid block but has since given way to striation I suppose you'd call it. 

I guess my plan from here is to let the bag fruit as is for now. I got an Autopot so I now have a PC! Things awesome man. Pot Roast in 3 hours? Sold! So anyhow, I was going to sterilize the Verm and then probably flesh out a chamber. I just dunk that substrate block in water after it stops pinning?

I'm very grateful for this forum! I just wish I could retain everything I read. Gettin old I suppose. Thank you guys for your advice. I almost chucked that bag!

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

Pics please!

Also, since there are pins showing, that means the sub is probably fully colonized, therefore pretty contam resistant. Opening up the bag to take a pic won't do any harm. Just roll the top and paperclip it to get it back closed.
  • novitius likes this

#12 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Sorry about that Deleena! I thought I had uploaded a couple pics. I snipped the top open and got some better shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190314_131415.jpg
  • 20190314_131423.jpg
  • 20190314_131407.jpg
  • 20190314_131304.jpg
  • 20190314_131218.jpg

• Deleena24 likes this

#13 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

Well, I had to pull two shrooms off the block today. 23g wet. They are the only two that continued to fruit after I opened the bag. There were 4 pins. I don't know what happened. The other 2 just kinda disappeared and I think maybe they were covered by new mycelium. I misted the inside of the bag with just a few squirts.

What do I do at this point?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190317_083031.jpg
  • 20190317_015300.jpg

#14 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

You have three options

-- Keep misting and fanning until you get more mushrooms.
-- If your substrate feels/looks crusty/browning either flood your bag with cold water or fill up a bucket or pot with cold water and put the whole Substrate block into the water. You may only be getting a few mushrooms due to drying substrate.
-- Or throw it away and start over (try other two first)

It's more then likely fully colonized now so it is less prone to contams you no longer need to be sterile just don't be a dirty pig. You need to really look that thing over for (Slim, green/black/brown colors, and weird smells). Those are all signs of contams and they would cause slow/no grow situations.

In my experience it is really hard to over hydrate that thing now at this point. Sometimes hydrating the mycellium mass actually helps keep the micro climate optimum inside that bag. These are the instructions I used the first time I ever grew.

https://www.shroomsu...it-instructions

My first grow was in a bag and what I did was mimic every single thing that was in that kit. But I put everything together myself / locally. I didn't buy a kit or anything.

Those instructions are pretty on point with pictures to help explain. You would be more towards the bottom of the instructions.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 20 March 2019 - 04:52 PM.

• novitius likes this

#15 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Mystical Myco for the instructions. That link is great! I wish I coulda found that earlier.

About two days ago the block started to pin again. There's a small cluster of 3-5 coming up. Well, there were. I broke one off by accident. I was pulling the block out of the bag and it slipped on by and fell a few inches. I got tired of the bag. From the outside things appeared slimy. It had me guessing every time I checked in on it. So I soaked a gallon of vermiculite and moved the block onto it. Current growth hasn't changed at all and the tub is humid. I misplaced my hygrometer so Im not exactly sure how humid. Anyhow, I slowly poured water on the block. I stopped once  the water just ran off and didn't absorb anymore. I think I'm going to get some casing made up and try crumbling the whole block up like in the link you provided with the grain bag. Just to see what happens.

I appreciate all the help with this. At this point on this particular project I'm just taking what I can get from it and being happy with that! I have 4cc's of spore syringe left. I want to try and take a print from these remaining fruits too. Then, I'll try the PF Tek method and see if I can do better by actually applying some effort lol. Daily life is just very busy and demanding at the moment. Short cuts yield short supply I guess. So far I've yielded 3.5g dried. No complaints! Looks like I might get at least one more 1/8th too.

#16 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

Checking in with photo's this time. Almost 24hrs later and the cap on one fruit has opened, upside down. I think the fall took a toll on them. The block is in the same position it was in prior to removal from the bag. What a mess. There's some strange fluffy mold on the base of the fruits.
You should be able to see it in the first pic.Could this be a suspect for slow growth? Are these safe to eat still? I look through the threads again and see if I can find something like this.

Also, the fruits, when exposed to the flash of the camera look kinda funny don't they? IS that due to high humidity? (pic2)

Here's a decent pic of the substrate block and the small patch of growth. You can see the sub pretty well tho and see the fuzz..

I'm hoping all is well. That extra fuzz at the base of the fruits, is that cobweb mold? It doesn't really look like what I was expecting cobweb to appear as.
One last question, At least for this post :P  That cap that opened upside down, can I still get a print out of that? I'll not pluck it until I get a reply or it's just been to long since it opened.

Found my Hygrometer, it's 100% RH and 80-82*. So is that creeping fuzz from the high humidity? I exposed some more air holes to allow the humidity to escape.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190324_133218(1).jpg
  • 20190324_133249.jpg
  • 20190324_133306.jpg
  • 20190324_133324.jpg

Edited by novitius, 24 March 2019 - 01:08 PM.

#17 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

After some research I'm guessing that fuzz is myc. It's been there for days and has not taken over the block like every one says cobweb would. I plucked them about 30 minutes ago. Here's hoping this thing keeps going.

• twoguysupnorth likes this

#18 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

ok, 5 days have passed now. here's pics of the current situation. Maybe this thread is just a lesson in what not to do. This boom block is just yielding 1 or at most 3 mushies at a time. Maybe I do have cobweb mold. I read to spray hydrogen peroxide on it and see the reaction but I don't recall if doing that would damage healthy mycelium. I guess I'm getting my legs here at least. learn from mistakes, right? Whatever the situation I'll learn to identify and correct the problem for thenext time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190330_104145.jpg
  • 20190330_104205.jpg
  • 20190330_104213.jpg
  • 20190330_104244.jpg

#19 novitius

novitius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

Another little mushie appeared overnight. That's exciting. maybe things will turn out ok. I've just been fanning and trying to maintain humidity around 80%. It gets to 99% fast.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190331_100749.jpg
  • 20190331_100803.jpg
  • 20190331_100811.jpg
  • 20190331_100826.jpg
  • 20190331_100832.jpg

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

There is definitely no cobweb. Youd know, and it would grow to cover everything in 24hrs.

With an uncased blocked 80% is a bit too dry. 90%-95%would be better. Pins need high humidity to form.

Consider the fact that you are getting fruits a win. Using Multipore is a roll of the dice, and even with perfect conditions you can get shitty results, though I suspect you would've gotten more pins with more RH.

I bet those pins are going to get big fruits. Keep trying my friend. It gets easier with experience.
  • novitius likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!