Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Bobo’s Casa de Cubensis (and other psychotropic strains)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

Hello fellow phriends. Bobotrank here, newbing out with the best of them. Like every good newb, I’ve scoured the interwebs for info, dropped cash on every book Paul Stamets has ever written, and am likely doing a great job at making an easy job hard. I’m not even sure how to post a picture yet. Yes, the NOOB is strong in this one.

So what tek is my tek? I currently have two trays of GT’s going in a small greenhouse at the moment, and just uncovered them after 6 days to find some good mycelium growth pushing through my casing everywhere. So figured I’d go for it, and dropped temp 5 degrees, made sure humidity was rocking, and let in some light. They’ve been like that for a couple days now, and like a total noob, I decided to be neurotic and lightly spray both trays with a weak hydrogen peroxide solution, get baked, and then paranoid that I messed everything up. *FUN*

Why did I spray my casing? I thought that since I’m not sure if my air pump running to my humidifier had a hepa component to it, I should profilactically try and “clean” my casing, just for good measure. Neurotic is the new new, and I just can’t help myself. I’d post pics, but as aforementioned, I need to buy a clue on that front as well.

So jump aboard! Join in on the fun, and shake your head (or throw down some helpful knowledge, should you care to do so) as this newb takes a stab at some indoor mycology, as well as some outdoor psilocybe strains.

Thanks,

Bobo
  • LegoMyego likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,966 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Welcome! Stop spraying Peroxide on your mushrooms! It will only damage your desired mycelium as effectively as it will damage any competitor molds and fungi. Weak damaged mycelium cannot fight off competitor as well as healthy mycelium. Please ditch that idea of peroxide and mycology together. just because it worked once for somebody doesn't mean its good practice. I could add used motor oil to my substrate and still grow mushrooms, That doesn't mean that its good for them just because it worked.

Check this thread out https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

• roc, Skywatcher, peacefrog and 4 others like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:37 PM

Welcome Bobotrank !

Add just one more post in here, and you will become a free member, and able to post or start threads in all the forums.

We will see if we can get you a "clue" for posting some pictures..............

Glad to have you aboard !

• peacefrog, Bobotrank and WolfWhiz like this

#4 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Coors. I’ve already abandoned the idea... my mycelium gave me some good feedback on that one. Hopefully I haven’t fully blown it with that move. It was *only* about a 10% solution :/

I found the picture clue, btw! Many thanks. I’ll post some images of my grow at some point.

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,966 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

I'm guessing that was a 10% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide? A true 10% H202 would most definitely kill your project foaming up the whole tray.

Anyhow, we are looking forward to seeing your progress and pics.

• peacefrog and WolfWhiz like this

#6 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

Correct, Mikey. I wasn’t going into food grade realm, but I might have errored on the stronger side, so... we will see if anything gets fugged up. Proof’s in the pics. Stay tuned.

#7 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

First shot is a before H2O2 shot, right about when I flipped into fruiting. Second shot (closer up) is post fug up with the H2O2. The mycelium definitely looks different, and slightly unhappy based on my low level knowledge. 8F09C042-6FEE-4E08-B455-49CEB70B132D.jpeg 6615C0DF-F19B-4B24-BB38-6981181016F0.jpeg

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,840 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, you have some overlay going on there. Blasted the crap of that sub huh? LOL, leave her be now for a while. Just make sure your relative humidity is high while she recovers. When you mist, mist the side walls so a finer mist is born. Patience Grasshopper.

• Bobotrank likes this

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,455 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to 'topia!

• peacefrog likes this

#10 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, you have some overlay going on there. Blasted the crap of that sub huh? LOL, leave her be now for a while. Just make sure your relative humidity is high while she recovers. When you mist, mist the side walls so a finer mist is born. Patience Grasshopper.

Yes, yes I did. And I was doing so well up to this point. :( this is how we learn, I suppose. All the humidity control is through a humidifier atm. It’s hovering at 91% rh. Figure I set myself back a week with this one. Appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Welcome to 'topia!

Thank you! Lurked long enough, lolz.

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,840 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

You are still doing good. Every failure in this hobby is something that teaches you and that makes it a success in terms of knowledge. Is this your first grow? If it is, I am giving you some serious credit for jumping head first into subs and not cakes. This sub is going to be ok if it wasn't damaged too badly. You just delayed fruiting is all. If it comes down to it and you do not see any activity in 4 or 5 days, you may want to scrape, clean and recase it. But first give it some time. No jumping the gun.

• roc, peacefrog and Bobotrank like this

#12 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:02 AM

Thank you. Yes, first grow. I appreciate the encouragement. I’m too neurotic to not jump straight into tek ahead of my time. I might bust out a couple bags just to get some fruit, and do something easy. I have some Maui Platinum ready to go. But you totally answered the question that was on my mind in regards to the what next. Thank you. I’ll hang back, and see what she does.

#13 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Ok, little pr0n drop of my setup. Tent digits are currently 73 degrees, 91% rh. Incubation box is running around 78-80 degrees. Thinking about grabbing another tent to incubate in, and run spawn. I can see if I’m going to run perpetually, I’m going to need the extra space. Also, snapped a quickie of one of the trays. Seems to be recovering from what I can tell. At this point I don’t have enough experience to know if I’m looking at more overlay, or the beginnings of some puffy white mycelium starting, which would give me hope that I might see primordia someday. *Patience* Lastly, token jar running some extra GT spawn I had. Just want something to show for my efforts thus far. Full throttle noobing!

Edit: sorry for the sideways photos. Stuck on my phone atm. 949DE4BA-EF48-4377-88E4-A772C3F85632.jpeg 22AE2A04-50DB-4482-80F7-067B57BE69D5.jpeg ED9B7948-8896-4800-A88A-0F8812F451A8.jpeg

Edited by Bobotrank, 04 March 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#14 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Aaaaand we have some primordia. Hopefully they’re not just aborts. Only in one tray still... other one seems to be behind a little. I need to go back and reread some on bulk substrate methods. Such a noob :facepalm: Get out your magnifying glasses, lol.

0F920A1D-ECA1-4A64-927E-33160878CF31.jpeg

#15 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:44 PM

Leeeeeets get neurotic in here. Today’s check in. The other tray has some pins, but I think the overlay is messing things up.

12A91EF3-9C96-4ACE-9DC6-E4DC4B6FF99A.jpeg EE8A79F9-C356-45C2-A4DB-0B58830E410C.jpeg

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

You don't have any overlay there.
  • coorsmikey, peacefrog, Cuboid and 1 other like this

#17 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

Thanks JK. Appreciate the input!

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, things actually look pretty good to me.

Overlay is thick, and pure white. If you had it there would be a solid white layer. What I see is just colonized substrate.
  • coorsmikey, Cuboid and Bobotrank like this

#19 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Deleena. I appreciate the explanation. I was reading about it in one of Stamets’ books, but was having a hard time ascertaining what exactly I was looking at due to the low quality b/w photos. Essentially it’s just overgrown veg, right? In any event, everything is doing well today, except my humidity dropped down to 78 for some reason last night. Normally it hovers right around 91. You can see one of the mushrooms showing some of that effect. I was able to get it back up to 90 pretty quick. Currently working to remedy that from happening again. Have a great day/night every and anyone.

DFF61875-7322-488B-BD68-6F70911ECB5E.jpeg

#20 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,840 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

Just because the overlay did not cover the entire sub does not mean it isn't there. You can clearly see it in the first pics along with the riz growth browning. It will be fine. I have also had overlay cover the entire sub and still fruit. You say tomAto, I say tomoto. As long as there is a success, that is all that matters.

• Bobotrank likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!