Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Bobo’s Casa de Cubensis (and other psychotropic strains)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Pretty much proven to not make any difference whether you cut or pull. So whichever makes you comfortable is fine.

Since the original post my curiosity got to me and after some research you are right - it makes no difference.
I read some major research papers on it and was personally a little surprised on the findings.
I'm still going to try myself doing a tray half one way half the other to see with my own eyes.
Feel free to post what you find over here. I’ll throw my results up once I have some, too.

I used to call myself a Weed Nerd when I grew cannabis, and I can quickly feel my same nerdy tendencies for the fungi, too. Fungi Nerd doesn’t have the same ring to it, tho. Will have to work on that one.

#42 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

77A98792-01A0-456E-B4F1-05819F616490.jpeg

Sideways pic but I’m too tired to care. Here’s the first flush from both trays. Still have some primordia pushing up, but guessing they won’t be too big. At what point do I scrape my substrate in order to induce the second flush? I read something somewhere, but... too tired. Blasted daylight savings.

Also, fixed my humidifier hose, so no more condensation pooling and blocking the tube. Going to throw an inkbird thermostat on my heater tomorrow. That should solidify my climate in the Martha.

Goodnight, all you legends.
  • Lakegal7 likes this

#43 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

I love the drying apparatus. What is it and where can I get one?
  • Bobotrank likes this

#44 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,285 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

I like as well.

Amazon choice

Amazon choice 2

Amazon choice 3 my favorite

• Bobotrank likes this

#45 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

It is made for buds, any grow shop will have them...

• Bobotrank likes this

#46 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, Deleena.  My wife bought this one off amazon (Bezos  :blush: ).  I had one to dry herb in long ago, and when she said she wasn't using hers (calendula flower drying was her intention), it magically became mine.  Ma-geek! 

I like as well.

Amazon choice

Amazon choice 2

Amazon choice 3 my favorite

Thanks, Roc.  I checked on everyone this morning, and they're drying really fast with a fan trained on them.  Should be ready to throw them into a Tupperware with some desiccant here pretty soon me think.  FWIW, I like choice 3 best as well.

It is made for buds, any grow shop will have them...

You sir, are correct.  

And now, for today's episode of "What the hell am I doing?!". . . 

So I cased some Maui Platinums 4 days ago (2 small trays, with aluminum foil on top).  Threw them in the incubator, but stacked them on top of each other for spaces sake.  I'm pretty sure I have some cobwebbing going on in the corner of one of them, as you can see here...

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

Is there any salvaging this?  I know, I know... Bobo, don't you dare spray them with peroxide again.  Stacking trays might be a terrible idea as well.  The other tray looked like this...

IMG_2283.jpeg

So back to being neurotic Bobo... and wanting to understand more about overlay.  What's the consensus on tray number two?  I didn't peak at it for 4 days thinking it wouldn't be ready yet... now I'm thinking maybe I should have pulled it a little early... and... are we seeing any overlay on this puppy?  I see white puffy growth, and then that more rhizomorphic looking stuff from last time.  But no solid white shit this time.  Would we call this one a success?  To my untrained eye, I'm not seeing much in terms of contams, either.  I threw it in the fruiting chamber, regardless, so something's gonna happen, lol.

Hey, also, thanks again everyone for your help and input.  Glad you all like the drying rack (I highly recommend it), and hope you all have a wonderful day.  Peace.

#47 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

The tray that you think is cobweb is exactly that, IMO. Its said you can treat it with peroxide, but honestly, I'd just toss it. That small of a tray isnt worth the extra time and effort, especially considering you can cross contaminate the rest of your room. By any chance was it the one on the bottom of the stack? Lack of FAE is said to exasperate cobweb.

The other trays...

Most of the more solid white growth looks like pure grain that was left on top/not mixed well. Just like in a jar, we all know grain colonizes very thick.

I'm not sure if that's considered overlay, but you should be able to get fruit from that. I dont know very much about overlay bc I haven't encountered it personally, except in very small amounts which didnt effect most of my grow. As I am always saying, I think im just luckier than most LOL.

Thanks so much on the drying bag info, I'm definitely going to buy one. Perfect for when the dehydrator cant fit the huge guys or when theres not enough room.
  • Lakegal7 and Bobotrank like this

#48 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Deleena. I'm gonna pitch it. I must not have cleaned the tray well enough, or, it just got contaminated, as things do. Who knows.. maybe my clean room wasn't as clean as I thought. Funny part is, I'd read that Maui Platinums are supposed to be pretty contaminant resistant. Hah!

edit: Yeah, upon further inspection it looks like cobweb actually ran the tray quite a bit. Tossed it. Hope I didn't inoculate my closet in the meantime... might be time for an ozone bomb in there.

And yes, the other one had some grain that wasn't mixed in as well, and it was on purpose. I'd seen somebody sprinkle a couple on top of their substrate, but honestly, not sure if I'd do it again. Doesn't feel right to me for some reason. I pressed the grain down into the top layer of sub hoping it'd encourage better vertical growth.

I can't recommend the drying bag enough. I was going to buy a dehydrator myself, but honestly, a fan did the trick for me, and I can load way more into the drying bag than I ever could a conventional dehydrator. Your dehydrator probably gets them bag ready, tho, whereas mine will take that extra small step to get them nice and crispy.

Thanks again for confirming my earlier suspicions. I just hope that cobweb it relegated to that one tray.

Peace.

Edited by Bobotrank, 12 March 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#49 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

Ok, plucked a couple pinner mushrooms today, and thinking it’s time for flush two. Question is, do I scrape the top of my sub, or let some water sit in there for 2-4 hours, then drain? Gonna see what fungi ninja Paul Stamets says on this topic. Anybody with an opinion, please let me know your thoughts. Feel like I’m looking down two paths right now.

Edit: going to cover both trays for 3 days, then soak for 8 hours and return to trays. Both have shrunk down quite a bit, and I suspect need more water. Just threw out other small tray— after I placed it in fruiting it threw up a small patch of cobweb. Hoping I didn’t just fuck myself. Learning. The hard way. Goodnight, interwebs.

Edited by Bobotrank, 13 March 2019 - 01:08 AM.

#50 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:44 AM

Just weighed and jarred my fruits.  A hair over 2 ounces in total.  Definitely some room for improvement given a couple patches of my sub didn't fully fruit.  

Saturday I will uncover my trays and dunk each one for 4 hours, submerging 50% in water.  Praying I didn't contaminate them by putting that shitty little Maui Platinum tray in there that threw up the small bit of cobweb :unsure:.  Might pull out the trays tomorrow for a minute, spray the inside down with some ISO, wipe it, and put them back in.  Also contemplating throwing another tray in.  Is there such thing as too much? 

#51 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:42 AM

Update time.  

I made another tray of GT last night.  Used two quarts of grain spawn to 5 lbs of casing in a large turkey roaster in hopes to make it colonize fast, just like the first two.  It's environment is more humid this time, as I left it in the FC, covered in tin foil.  I also cased the quart jar I'd thrown in there the other day, just to see what it does.  Covered it with tin foil and a couple small holes for good measure.1.jpg

I took a peek at my other trays that already flushed.  I'd covered them with foil in hopes to let the mycelium recover for 3 days, and upon inspection, looks like they're ***throwing up pins again.***  I was going to soak them tomorrow.  I'm guessing that would be a bad idea at this point?  Should I just take the foil off, and let em rip?  It's my first 2nd flush, lol.  

New Martha day.  Got this one to replace my tub with aquarium heater I had... I can run way more spawn now, with better temp control... I hope. 

I've got 5 1/2 gallon jars of Air Force One.  No real idea what this strain is (some cubensis I figure), but the description seemed interesting enough, and the mycelium has been strong and healthy thus far.  Not sure I'll use such a large jar again.  Hard to break up the clumps on my bike tire.  Quarts are nice, as are bags IME thus far.  Lastly, a couple quarts of Maui Platinums.  Nice puffy growth.  Hope to run these sometime in mid April.  IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0711.jpg IMG_0712.jpg

I have a confession.  I've been using Midwest Grows casing for my substrate.  I haven't made my own sub, yet, and with my busy ass life, and the seemingly good quality of the mix, I couldn't resist.  There.  Had to get that off my chest. I'm a poseur.  At least for now.  That will likely change soon.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg

• RutgerHauer likes this

#52 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

Good morning my fungi friends. Hope your day is as beautiful as mine here. The sun is out, and flush 2 is under way. I guess all these trays needed was a little darkness. During their recovery I bumped my temp and humidity up a little bit. Wondering if a dunk prior to covering would have been good to load them with more moisture?

As you can see, all the stumps from being cut off have new rhizo growth on them. Zero decomposition anywhere. I think I’ll stick to this method. Makes for less clean up later.
EFAF04EC-592F-4618-8DFA-9DDFD7AA0B89.jpeg 7AB44FA1-7B81-41A3-A2A4-94BE7C2587DE.jpeg

See something I could be doing better? Please, don’t hesitate to tell me, should you so desire. Thanks
  • Deleena24 and RutgerHauer like this

#53 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

Golden Teacher Trip Report

Ate 2 grams this afternoon. I’ve never been aware of what kind of cubes I was eating before, so figured starting with 2 g was safe. It was. Far less visual than past trips, the body high was unreal, tho. Waves of euphoria pulsed through me the whole time. Normally all objects seem to come alive. This time it wasn’t so apparent to me. Colors were intense, but virtually no patterns. Often times faces will look like masks, but again, none of this. It was a very giggly trip, however. Some introspective moments, but overall not as transcendental feeling. I hadn’t researched what was typical of GT trips before I started this one (on purpose), and maybe it’s different at higher doses, but I felt a little underwhelmed in some categories tbh. Looking forward to further exploration With different strains in hopes to gain more knowledge. And visuals.

#54 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

With MS the potency of fruits can vary from flush to flush, and even fruit to fruit.
  • Bobotrank likes this

#55 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

Seems logical. Guess it’s only one more reason to get into agar, huh? I equate it to popping cannabis seeds, and keeping a cut on hand of the one that really grows and smokes well.

#56 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

Seems logical. Guess it’s only one more reason to get into agar, huh? I equate it to popping cannabis seeds, and keeping a cut on hand of the one that really grows and smokes well.

Exactly. It takes some work to get the perfect isolate, but same concept.
  • Bobotrank likes this

#57 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Deleena. I’ll have to poke around and see about all this new tek. I think I saw catsandbats did a nice tutorial on agar..

#58 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Genentics or methods that guarantee better potency are elusive creatures. Cloning choice fruits and spending the time to clone, grow out, sporeprint, grow multispore, then repeat the process several times does seem to improve the future multispore grows.
  • Bobotrank likes this

#59 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Thanks jk. There’s never a shortcut, right?? Golden Teachers, based on what I’ve read just seem to be more body than visual. Maybe at higher doses this will change? This is why I’m curious about other strains. Next time I’m going to up it to 4g. With cannabis, certain strains have certain effects, varying from strain to strain (as I’m sure everyone knows). Feels like that would apply to fungi as well...? I’m still new to these sorts of genetics, so maybe I’m off on this one. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

#60 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Nothing cannabis applies to mushrooms.

Cubensis strains aren't true strains.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!