16 replies to this topic

#1 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

Due to drought here in oat growing areas, the price has gone up, so I am going to start using wheat instead. I plan to do exactly what I do for oats, namely steep with hydrated lime and gypsum for 20 minutes, followed by drying in a pillow overnight.

Should I change my prep as (I think) wheat grain tends to burst more easily/absorbs water more easily?

(ED: I steep the oats in water that has recently had a rolling boil)

Edited by scott_1971_h, 03 March 2019 - 09:55 PM.

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,028 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:00 AM

You are going to pc them? Say, "Yes Odd" lol. No need to dry them that long. Drain really good, load and go.

#3 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:43 AM

Yes, ODD.

I was going to PC them, but was wondering if wheat's extra absorbency would require adjusting the time I steeped it..

Edited by scott_1971_h, 04 March 2019 - 01:43 AM.

#4 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

I used the 'al dente' test, light pressure between the front teeth gives medium resistance before it 'squishes'. The time required was the same as for oats.

• onediadem and SteampunkScientist like this

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Please let us know how this works out for you - I personally like oats with Pop-Corn, and still have about half of my 50 lb bag of oats left.  But in case it gets hard to find, then I (and I am sure others) would like to know about alternatives!

• roc likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,220 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

In the last 1.5 months, I have used popcorn, wbs, wheat, and I just got a bag of rye....  I typically get what is available at the local feed store... Oats are always an option but wheat is not always available. Rye is typically in stock. I like popcorn because I have found it to be a fast colonizer. If I happen to be at WallyWorld, I get wbs... 

I would like to try Milo (Sorghum) but I haven't asked them to order it for me yet.

When the horses were younger and we were feeding them raw oats, I used that pretty exclusively but we now give them a senior sweet feed intended to help them keep weight on... Molasses is not the best additive for our purposes I imagine, though I have not tried...

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

It would be interesting to see if the mycelium would use the sugars in that molasses or if it would just invite more contaminants.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,028 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

I would too SPS.

Out of the many different grains I have used, I prefer rye grain the best. It rarely explodes and I have found it just seems to please the myc the best. Plus, it doesn't tend to get too starchy and stick together too badly. Keep in mind, I am a very lazy mycologist and through the years I have weeded out all the extra nonsense that is just time-consuming and not needed. The only time I have ever pre-cooked any grain was with popcorn. Everything else I let the jars or bags absorb all night and pc in the morning. I prefer bags whenever possible because if I get busy and cannot get to them, I can bust them up when I get around to them.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#9 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:24 AM

Think you'd def. have to sterilise the hell out of the molasses, but once thats done it would be perfectly 'doable'. What the mycellium then do with the simple sugars would depend on the strain, I guess.

I'm thinking it's good for horses because (I think) they arent ruminants. Wouldnt like to try it on ruminants because it would throw their microbiome out and they'd get bloat/diarroea or worse...

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,220 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Think you'd def. have to sterilise the hell out of the molasses, but once thats done it would be perfectly 'doable'. What the mycellium then do with the simple sugars would depend on the strain, I guess.

I'm thinking it's good for horses because (I think) they arent ruminants. Wouldnt like to try it on ruminants because it would throw their microbiome out and they'd get bloat/diarroea or worse...

They are not ruminants, they are monogastric... Horses are known to have digestive issues and become colicky when they eat moldy or otherwise tainted food... They are not able to regurgitate so if there are stomach issues or if there is some type of blockage that prevents them from passing their food, it becomes a serious health hazard. Horse hay needs to be stored in the barn, dry, to prevent molds. They are typically fed small bales since they are more easily stored. Cows are often fed round bales that are stored outdoors because of their multiple stomachs which allow them to digest lower quality foodstuffs...

As Mr. Steampunk suggested, my fear was that it would be more susceptible to contamination. There are also some vitamin sources that look like pellets added to the feed mix we are giving them. I could ask my mom what all the ingredients are... Looking at the feed, oats don't appear to be a super huge percentage of the mix, 50-60% by volume maybe and even less by weight...

#11 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone tried barley, both as a feed for horses, and for growing 'shrooms?

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

I made literally 1 small batch of it, a 2lb bag of Red Mills I think.

It worked and performed well enough, but it was such a small amount I can't draw conclusions from it.

I'd love to get more, and try some stones in it.

#13 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Wheat is killer, it's my main jam along with milo. Actually my main jam is wheat mixed with milo in random "who cares" ratios.

Wheat does tend to get soft and explode if you aren't careful. But it's not the end of the world, exploded grains can still work great.

I rinse and bring to a barely simmer stirring every few minutes and turn heat off for about 20 minutes and strain. 

• scott_1971_h likes this

#14 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

OK Sandman ... (Do you really use 10cc LC in a 1L jar? I thought 3 was generous.)

#15 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

No I use 60cc in a 7lb spawn bag :D But when I used jars yea 10cc LC per quart.

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

In the last 1.5 months, I have used popcorn, wbs, wheat, and I just got a bag of rye....  I typically get what is available at the local feed store... Oats are always an option but wheat is not always available. Rye is typically in stock. I like popcorn because I have found it to be a fast colonizer. If I happen to be at WallyWorld, I get wbs... 

I would like to try Milo (Sorghum) but I haven't asked them to order it for me yet.

When the horses were younger and we were feeding them raw oats, I used that pretty exclusively but we now give them a senior sweet feed intended to help them keep weight on... Molasses is not the best additive for our purposes I imagine, though I have not tried...

It would be interesting to see if the mycelium would use the sugars in that molasses or if it would just invite more contaminants.

I bet sweet feed would turn into a solid block in the jar.

Sometimes I'll use a drop of molasses in my agar if the main sugar is dextrose or sucrose to give it a little nutrient boost necessary for spore germination.

• PJammer24 likes this

#17 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

I almost forgot that we're in edibles area so it may be different. I've never gotten a good batch of wheat and always get cobweb at least on it. Not sure why out of 4 or so tries. Rye worked great but alot more expensive around here. Wbs has basically been my go to since I started but it's obviously good to try different things if necessary. I'm kinda like One up there, I usually do what's worked best for simplicity and cost. Could try barley sometime soon as we have it on hand for feed. Popcorn is one I've wanted to try as well as sorghum especially if I can manage to grow it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!