• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shutemdwn

shutemdwn

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

Hey all, I want to start studying up for this seasons mushroom hunting. I live in western pa, I'm looking for advice on what species I should be researching that would be most common in my region. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

https://www.youtube....v=F5j8_Y2VDC8.  This helped me narrow my parameters.   For you Shutemdwn: Ovoids in the spring.  Start scouting out areas of mixed wood chips in man made planters and maybe near a river on the wooded banks.

Edited by Seeker2be, 05 March 2019 - 10:33 AM.

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

You will have Morels popping up in about a month.

Summer/Fall you will find Chanterelles, Honey Mushrooms, Hen of the woods (maitake), shrimp of the woods (aborted entoloma), Chicken of the woods.... black trumpets... 

Oysters 

Those are some that are pretty common in your region and should be easily enough identified with a little research!

You may also come across some lions mane out there....

Puff balls both large and small

shaggy manes, there are some edible boletes but also a lot that are not very palatable.... 

blewits 

there are some others but that is off the top of my head what you should be able to find in that part of PA

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

There is a guy who is from your area that posts really good youtube videos... Google "Learn Your Land" videos and you should find some really good instructional videos from a dude outside Pittsburgh.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

If you are looking for active mushrooms, there aren't a whole lot that can me easily found in your area. Google Bluefoot mushroom 

Psilocybe caerulipes

#6 shutemdwn

shutemdwn

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:07 AM

Yes, I'm looking for "active" mushrooms. I'll definitely check out that vid, and thank you for your suggestions. If anyone else has any I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!