• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

I woke up this morning to little brown spots on my first cake.  My positive side says they little mushroom caps.  My super paranoid side says, it the brown plague of death.  :tongue:  What do you guys/girls say?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_16101.JPG

#2 deemesis

deemesis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:21 AM

Looks like blobs. Is it a PE strain by Vance?
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:59 AM

I was also going to ask what strain you were working with.... Looks like some type of mutation to me. As deemesis eludes, growth like this is common with the PE strains.

Those "blobs" look firm to me but I have seen mycelium produce bulbous growth that is soft, kinda like a marshmallow! 

#4 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

It is supposed to be Golden Teacher.  What type of mutation?  That is a new one on me.

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

My first flush of Golden Teacher looked like Golden Penis, second flush looking more normal.

This is odd looking though! Can only wait and see.. Almost looks like you are growing some peyote cactus..

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 March 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#6 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

Maybe so.  Who knows what was really in that syringe.  I'm curious to see what happens too.

#7 deemesis

deemesis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

I’ve had them on other strains but PEs do seem prone to it. If they look and feel like cube tissue I eat them. Not really sure why it happens. I do notice they do kinda take away from the pin set though.
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#8 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

I’ve had them on other strains but PEs do seem prone to it. If they look and feel like cube tissue I eat them. Not really sure why it happens. I do notice they do kinda take away from the pin set though.

My problem is that this is the first time I've grown so I don't know what cube tissue looks or feels like.  All I can really do at this point is wait and see.  I will probably be posting pics as it develops. 

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

Not uncommon with a multi-spore grow.

Looks like a small cluster and the white coverage could be a sign of high humidity.

I'm liking your wait and see approach!

Let's see another picture in 36-48 hours.

Great to see pinning even if they turn out to be mutations.

Edited by roc, 05 March 2019 - 11:57 AM.

• Deleena24, peacefrog, Billcoz and 2 others like this

#10 deemesis

deemesis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

Popping pin cherry’s over here??? Good job, bud!!!
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

I'd give those a few days. Could still be normal fruits. Keep us updated.
  • peacefrog and Turtlegirl like this

#12 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

Sometimes the caps will form as lumps like that.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#13 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

I have noticed some pins starting to come up on the side of said cake.  It doesn't seem like the other cluster has done anything yet.  Still keeping my eye on them though.  I'm in a little bit of a rush this morning, but I plan on posting pics either later today or in the morning.  I'm so excited.  :thumbs_up2:

• roc and Billcoz like this

#14 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

As promised, I wanted to post a few pics.  I have noticed that the brown blobs I first posted about are indeed growing.  I can tell as of right now I have 10 pins on one cake.  I hope my pics are good.  I never really know until after I post them. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_16141.JPG
  • IMG_16151.JPG
  • IMG_16131.JPG

• peacefrog likes this

#15 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

I have this in 5-10% of my tubs with certain substrains
Especially tubs with thick super high moisture substrate.

So far I've had this happen with B+, PE, & GT. If you let them grow they get dense massive. Sometimes they grow stems. It's almost like the cap grew first and without a stem. Some of them actually have gills in the. They are psychedelic. They don't loose as much water wieght 85-90% like full shrooms for some reason. When the are dried they get ROCK hard. Since there not visually appealing I grind them up and put them into edibles.

I let them grow until they start to crack then I pull them.
  • Billcoz and Turtlegirl like this

#16 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

I have this in 5-10% of my tubs with certain substrains
Especially tubs with thick super high moisture substrate.
So far I've had this happen with B+, PE, & GT. If you let them grow they get dense massive. Sometimes they grow stems. It's almost like the cap grew first and without a stem. Some of them actually have gills in the. They are psychedelic. They don't loose as much water wieght 85-90% like full shrooms for some reason. When the are dried they get ROCK hard. Since there not visually appealing I grind them up and put them into edibles.
I let them grow until they start to crack then I pull them.

Very cool. Like I said they do seem to be getting bigger but I have seen no signs of a stem yet. I will keep a close eye on them. I may try to cut them a little bit before drying. Then again I might just eat them fresh.
  • Billcoz likes this

#17 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Ok guys and gals.  This was today's pic of my brown blobs.  There seems to be 6 or 7 of them.  Two of them are getting bigger, but very slowly.  The rest seems to be the same.  Should I be thinking about getting rid of these?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_16252.JPG

Edited by Turtlegirl, 09 March 2019 - 03:39 PM.

#18 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

I have another quick question.  On the "backside" of the cake, it's hard for me to see what is going on.  Is it OK to rotate the cakes so I can accurately monitor my growth?

#19 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Rotation and slight movement / placement is no problem at all.

I'm thinking you need to harvest the blobs. I'm on the edge and we can wait for other input but I'd probably harvest the whole cake and dunk it for the next flush.

These have moved very slow from day one and with pre-made jars I think they may have been dry all along.

Let's get some other input from others as well.

Don't toss the blobs they'll be fine dry or fresh.

• peacefrog, Turtlegirl and WolfWhiz like this

#20 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

Ok. So you are telling me to harvest the whole cake even if the normal looking ones are growing fine. Sorry for asking again but I want to make sure that I won hundred percent understand what you’re saying

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!