• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Posting here as it is the only place I can as a new member please move it to applicable board.

Question about my tek and how I can improve it. So the guy who got me into growing had me follow the following for my first grow. It seems like there are better ways to do it and I wanted to get your expertise
1. Spore the rye grains
2. Move spored rye into dish with vermiculite, and casing.
3. Cover with tin foil poke holes in tin foil and put in closet
4. After colonizing move to plastic bin with perlite and keep under bed giving it FAE 3-4 times a day
5. Move out from under bed after it has colonized more and wait to see pins
6. Add light to bins and continue with FAE
7.Harvest

So this has worked fine for me, but my first yields were less than stellar. It seems to me people might skip step 3 and put tray directly in bin. Also I was wondering if step 4 was necessary where it goes under the bed or if the container should just be out in the room. I just started two new trays so I was hoping someone could help me use best growth management practices on this run. Any expertise on changing my tek or tweaking it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!862063e9ef2d2a6d546349445f4e13e9.jpg45e5ce7ac4d4527f5d7d2ea1d1e5a388.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • coorsmikey and wharfrat like this

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

I would never put anything like this under my bed.  Too many nasties.

• roc, Coopdog, PJammer24 and 1 other like this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

I always do 3 & 4

• Gr8fulHorticulturist likes this

#4 roc

roc

• 7,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

Mushit points out a very important thing to understand...

The first 12-16 inches off the floor are the nastiest area in any room. It's the zone that is kicked up with drafts, foot traffic, and shit settling out of the air.

If you want to work under your bed maybe you should do PF jars and fruit them invitro.

A lot less steps and very stealthy.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:02 PM

Never has to be in the dark.
  • PJammer24 and Gr8fulHorticulturist like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:04 PM

Those trays are on the edge of too shallow and it all looks too dry.
  • roc, PJammer24 and Gr8fulHorticulturist like this

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

Some of the method might be improved, but it looks like the primary thing you need to work on is proper hydration, those trays look like they may have too dry to start with, and maintaining humidity. Dryish thin subs with low humidity get too dry fast.
  • peacefrog and Gr8fulHorticulturist like this

#8 roc

roc

• 7,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

Those trays are on the edge of too shallow and it all looks too dry.

Good eye!

Those have shrunk a lot and have got to be real dry.

#9 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

I always do 3 & 4

Thanks!

#10 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

Mushit points out a very important thing to understand...

The first 12-16 inches off the floor are the nastiest area in any room. It's the zone that is kicked up with drafts, foot traffic, and shit settling out of the air.

If you want to work under your bed maybe you should do PF jars and fruit them invitro.
A lot less steps and very stealthy.

Thanks for the advice. I have a room dedicated to growing so it doesn’t have to be under a bed. Where would it be otherwise and what conditions? Thanks

#11 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

I would never put anything like this under my bed. Too many nasties.

Thanks. I don’t have to put it under a bed. That’s just what the guy told me to do. So after colonization when I put it into the tub. Where do you suggest the tub to be? I have a full room dedicated to it so stealth and space isn’t an issue. Thanks

#12 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

Some of the method might be improved, but it looks like the primary thing you need to work on is proper hydration, those trays look like they may have too dry to start with, and maintaining humidity. Dryish thin subs with low humidity get too dry fast.

Yeh I should have pointed out that these trays dried out due to skipping the vermiculite and a work trip I had to go on. The new trays have an inch of verm in the bottom and will be properly hydrated so I’m not worried about that. More worried about making the best out of my new trays. So when they come out the closet and I put them in the tub with perlite I don’t need to worry about keeping them out of the light? Thanks!

#13 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the reply’s and suggestions. The trays currently in the tubs dried out terribly due to having no vermiculite and having to leave them with my girlfriend for a work trip. My new trays have an inch of field capacity verm in them and we have learned about proper hydration so that won’t be an issue this run. I have a whole room dedicated to shrooms so space or being covert isn’t an issue with that said could you address a couple questions for me.

1. If not under the bed or on the floor where would be the best place to have the tubs. I can build a shelf if needed etc.

2. Once they have colonized the trays and I put the trays in the tubs do I start FAE, misting, and have the field capacity perlite in there? I have had some people say keep the tub closed and some say start FAE and misting the same day.

3. Since I have plenty of room is there any suggestions for best practices with this tek or a different tek I should look into.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions here. I started by going through and hitting the quote button to answer, but then thought this reply would be best.

#14 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Also if anyone has any advice for better trays or tubs I’m all ears. Anything I can do to improve I’ll do.

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

If the room you have dedicated to growing is used for growing reefer, you may want to reconsider your use of space, especially if you are growing reefer in soil... Trichoderma is the most common contaminate of mushroom cultures and is beneficial in organic soils... If you are growing in soil, there is likely Trich present.... I always tried to work with my mycelium first before going into the reefer room... I would shower before meandering mycelium work if I couldn't rock out as a myco psycho first....

• mushit and CatsAndBats like this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,636 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

Looks like you're doing rez effect tek.

https://mycotopia.ne...tek-by-starter/

• peacefrog and Gr8fulHorticulturist like this

#17 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

If the room you have dedicated to growing is used for growing reefer, you may want to reconsider your use of space, especially if you are growing reefer in soil... Trichoderma is the most common contaminate of mushroom cultures and is beneficial in organic soils... If you are growing in soil, there is likely Trich present.... I always tried to work with my mycelium first before going into the reefer room... I would shower before meandering mycelium work if I couldn't rock out as a myco psycho first....

Thanks for the advice. I actually got trichoderma on my first grow and moved all the mj to my office. Now this room is solely for shrooms and thankfully haven’t had any trich issues since.

#18 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:07 PM

I think your main issue might be the close proximity to so much plaid.  It's scientifically proven to stunt mycelial growth.  :tongue:

• CatsAndBats and RutgerHauer like this

#19 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

What he said. Wins the internet.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#20 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:09 AM

Good advice above.

Jk touched on the most important thing IMO, moisture! When fruiting shallow subs it is paramount to consistently keep up with the correct balance of moisture and microclimate, especially with cased grain. I often grow like this for testing cultures or just getting a quick grow done for various reasons. And I utilize a somewhat open air growing approach for the most FAE as possible. So I always case and mist accordingly.

Back in the day, cased grains were recommended and how I actually grew my first crop. It works just fine, but you really have to be mindful of the moisture content whether you are using the Rez effect or not.

Pics of shallow cased grain for you (no Rez effect):
29B467BC-76E7-4DF2-8A6C-861D8E9B3F75.jpeg 3A5A1E04-B2F7-46C9-9758-1BB5100E3514.jpeg
844DB00E-7E9A-4B4B-957A-3BBF34AC2E6C.jpeg
D52E33DB-151F-4223-9F7E-DF77453AEC74.jpeg
1F71C944-439F-4D10-9778-2E40CC305090.jpeg D3C68862-8561-42AE-B9C7-D2E69278A35A.jpeg

And as said above, keeping them under your bed isn’t the best idea. And colonizing in the dark is old outdated info. It doesn’t hurt a thing, but light from the get go has been proven to be beneficial for all stages of growth.

How often are you misting the casing layer? IMHO, running and maintaining a casing layer is an art form, which I strive to get better and master with every grow.

Good vibes my friend.

Edited by peacefrog, 09 March 2019 - 04:42 AM.

• mushit, Deleena24, RutgerHauer and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!