27 replies to this topic

#21 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

Good advice above.

Jk touched on the most important thing IMO, moisture! When fruiting shallow subs it is paramount to consistently keep up with the correct balance of moisture and microclimate, especially with cased grain. I often grow like this for testing cultures or just getting a quick grow done for various reasons. And I utilize a somewhat open air growing approach for the most FAE as possible. So I always case and mist accordingly.

Back in the day, cased grains were recommended and how I actually grew my first crop. It works just fine, but you really have to be mindful of the moisture content whether you are using the Rez effect or not.

Pics of shallow cased grain for you (no Rez effect):
attachicon.gif29B467BC-76E7-4DF2-8A6C-861D8E9B3F75.jpegattachicon.gif3A5A1E04-B2F7-46C9-9758-1BB5100E3514.jpeg
attachicon.gif844DB00E-7E9A-4B4B-957A-3BBF34AC2E6C.jpeg
attachicon.gifD52E33DB-151F-4223-9F7E-DF77453AEC74.jpeg
attachicon.gif1F71C944-439F-4D10-9778-2E40CC305090.jpegattachicon.gifD3C68862-8561-42AE-B9C7-D2E69278A35A.jpeg

And as said above, keeping them under your bed isn’t the best idea. And colonizing in the dark is old outdated info. It doesn’t hurt a thing, but light from the get go has been proven to be beneficial for all stages of growth.

How often are you misting the casing layer? IMHO, running and maintaining a casing layer is an art form, which I strive to get better and master with every grow.

Good vibes my friend.

Thanks man! I mist and FAE 3-4 times a day. I’ll keep it open more if needed. Would I grow a bigger crop with a deeper tub? I’m down to try anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#22 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

80f9206434e9d499c733346a92bcb7d0.jpg

Unable to post elsewhere yet. Are these ready to go in the tub or should I leave them out until fully colonized?

#23 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

If the casing is uneven and thick in the middle I would go ahead and fruit them.

Kind of hard to tell but you have knotting and good growth around the perimeter.

Others can chime in in case I'm missing something...

• Gr8fulHorticulturist likes this

#24 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

If the casing is uneven and thick in the middle I would go ahead and fruit them.

Kind of hard to tell but you have knotting and good growth around the perimeter.

Others can chime in in case I'm missing something...

Thanks man! It’s not uneven per say. It just hasn’t quite made it there for some reason. Didn’t know if it’s best to wait until it gets covered or go ahead. Appreciate the advice.

#25 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

Unable to post elsewhere yet. Are these ready to go in the tub or should I leave them out until fully colonized?

You can post just about everywhere you can see except the Vaults. Perhaps try using the regular site instead of Tapatalk will help.

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 March 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#26 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

You can post just about everywhere you can see except the Vaults. Perhaps try using the regular site instead of Tapatalk will help.

Appreciate the heads up! Once I sidings in on the site and then came back over here I see I don’t get the message about not being able to post anymore. Thanks man

#27 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,162 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

Thanks man! I mist and FAE 3-4 times a day. I’ll keep it open more if needed. Would I grow a bigger crop with a deeper tub? I’m down to try anything new.

That all depends on many factors really. Technically the answer would be yes. Deeper bulk subs should produce larger fruits and better yields over all. But this is not always the case. It depends on genetics, environmental conditions, cleanliness of your spawn and sub, moisture content of the sub, etc.

Many factors can play a role in getting that awesome canopy flush. I have gotten many canopy flushes off of cased grain or cased cake material with cubes over the years. And I have gotten many canopy flushes off of bulk subs as well, which normally yielded better weight.

But I have also gotten shitty flushes from both procedures (either poor genetics or a screw up on my part). My point is, there is no right way to do it (bulk verses cakes/cased grain) it’s what ever you are looking to do in this hobby of ours or what you are trying to accomplish with a particular grow.

IME fanning and misting 3-4 times a day (the way I was brought doing it) will work with cubes every time. BUT that’s not true FAE. Frequent air exchange should happen as freely as one can keep up with the rh, microclimate and moisture levels of the sub and/or casing. And one should only mist when needed. Sometimes you may only need to mist once or twice a day. Some days you may need to mist more. You want constant evaporation of moisture and the replenishment of it as soon as it evaporates. It’s a constant balance between FAE and rh IMO.

My 2 Lincoln’s for what it’s worth.

Good vibes.

Edited by peacefrog, 15 March 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#28 Gr8fulHorticulturist

Gr8fulHorticulturist

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:20 PM

That all depends on many factors really. Technically the answer would be yes. Deeper bulk subs should produce larger fruits and better yields over all. But this is not always the case. It depends on genetics, environmental conditions, cleanliness of your spawn and sub, moisture content of the sub, etc.

Many factors can play a role in getting that awesome canopy flush. I have gotten many canopy flushes off of cased grain or cased cake material with cubes over the years. And I have gotten many canopy flushes off of bulk subs as well, which normally yielded better weight.

But I have also gotten shitty flushes from both procedures (either poor genetics or a screw up on my part). My point is, there is no right way to do it (bulk verses cakes/cased grain) it’s what ever you are looking to do in this hobby of ours or what you are trying to accomplish with a particular grow.

IME fanning and misting 3-4 times a day (the way I was brought doing it) will work with cubes every time. BUT that’s not true FAE. Frequent air exchange should happen as freely as one can keep up with the rh, microclimate and moisture levels of the sub and/or casing. And one should only mist when needed. Sometimes you may only need to mist once or twice a day. Some days you may need to mist more. You want constant evaporation of moisture and the replenishment of it as soon as it evaporates. It’s a constant balance between FAE and rh IMO.

My 2 Lincoln’s for what it’s worth.

Good vibes.

Appreciate the advice. Good to know it can happen either way. I’ve been wanting to make sure I can get the best yields possible and will continue to try new ways to see what works best. Thanks!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!