Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Psilocybe mexicana finally fruiting. Simple substrate and casing.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

As it says on the tin:

IMG_20190306_101746.jpg

Look at the huge sclerotia pushing everything out of the jar.

Initially I was going to use these just for the sclerotia. Just for fun I threw a couple jars into the greenhouse to see what would happen.

After a month of no change these little thingies showed up, overnight.

The objective behind my recents posts (1, 2) is to encourage people to experiment and give 'exotic' and 'difficult' species a try, kind of like the beer brewing motto of RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew).

If one reads most threads and information online one could be led to believe that these species are almost impossible to grow. I was convinced that a plain vermiculite layer for mexicana would not work, and that caerulescens would need very special fruiting conditions, and that definitely they would be a lot harder than cubensis.

The following family picture shows them growing next to each other, in the same greenhouse, using almost the same teks. Not pictured are the different Pleurotus growing on the bottom shelf.

IMG_20190306_101812.jpg

Remember, if it is not worth doing it wrong it is not worth doing at all.

Details:

Container: 160ml deli container, 5 cents USD each.

Substrate: Modified PF tek, replaced about 1/3 of the brown rice flour with hardwood sawdust (mainly oak), 60 minutes at 15 psi.

Casing: Just the dry vermiculite barrier from PF Tek.

Inoculum: Print -> Potato dextrose agar -> Syringe -> This jar.

Incubation: Neglected for 40 days in a dark cardboard box kept at 25 Celsius with a reptile heating cable and a thermostat. At this point the sclerotia exerted so much pressure that container caps started popping open, I harvested all but 2 jars.

Fruiting: After 40 day incubation placed in greenhouse that oscillates between 85% and 95% Rh, with very frequent air exchange and lots of natural light. Temperatures oscillate between 18 and 23 Celsius. The ones in the picture grew overnight after 4 weeks of no apparent change.

• Samwise, Billcoz and deemesis like this

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Awesome job, and thank you for the post. I couldn't agree more. People shouldn't be intimidated by exotics, they're basically the same as growing cubes except you need to be much more patient. Sometimes it genuinely looks and feels as if you're wasting your time, then overnight pins pop up, seemingly out of nowhere.

You also proved a point I was trying to make in the stone producer thread- very simple subs and casings can get the job done.
  • Samwise and Billcoz like this

#3 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

You also proved a point I was trying to make in the stone producer thread- very simple subs and casings can get the job done.

I'll try to get a pic today of my neglected stone producing jars. I lost two 1,600ml jars of plain oats and millet inoculated with I believe tampanensis. Found them 2 months later in the place where we keep the gardening stuff, outdoors and exposed to the elements.

The jars are deformed from so many stones.

#4 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

Great post, and great work ResponsibleAdult. I've recently switched to a greenhouse/GH setup and have a particular fascination with the Mexican exotics...last week I case some fruiting trays of P. mexicana 'Chicon Nindo' and P. hoogshagenii 'Semperviva'. It's really good to see more people growing them. I also have some P. caerulescens LC standing by, so your success in fruiting this species (which I would love to get better acquainted with) is a big morale boost! I appreciate the data on your growth and fruiting parameters too...my temperatures are on the low end (between 18-21 Celsius) but I've recently ordered a foot warming pad I think may be able to raise the temperature in there a bit, will install this into my setup when it arrives. Onwards!!  :smile:

#5 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

Preparing to make prints later tonight.

These little shrooms are pretty.

IMG_20190310_110909 (1).jpg

IMG_20190310_110914.jpg

And as promised, a neglected jar that is bursting with sclerotia. I think this was bird seed from the local shop, I asked for "chicken mix with no sunflower seed".

IMG_20190310_113559.jpg

• Deleena24 and Samwise like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!