• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

Since I have been building up quite the collection of equipment to grow lately and tried a few trays, going to up it a bit. Got two pressure cookers now, which are running sterilization as I speak. The Mazatapec Cubensis strain is waiting on top of my fridge! It's a LC from MS.

Planning to spawn to coco coir and vermiculite. Should be a 10 liter sub.

I will report back when I have some pictures of whitish jars.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7B1DE219-07B4-42FC-A0B6-1AA6091881F1.jpeg
  • F3FE048E-0B70-4F77-BF7A-A520C92AFF32.jpeg
  • D7A25078-34E0-4F79-83AC-A330B823F7C9.jpeg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 07 March 2019 - 12:36 PM.

• vork21, Deleena24, Cuboid and 3 others like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

Alright, one more picture before I go.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5B1DFD49-0ED8-4ACC-ADEC-2F3CCDF3CE1C.jpeg

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Nice, my pc is a small and holds more grain if I use pint jars rather than if I stuff quarts in there, I fit 6 pints, and only 2 quart jars, since it's a short pc(8 qt). I haven't really needed another yet, I am staying smaller scale and it's pretty sufficient for my situation, one prob is that there's not all that much room for sterilizing utensils like syringes etc.

What's your plan for hydrating/pasteurizing your coir/verm? What's your FC gonna be, TELL ME RUTGER HAUER!!! I'm Kidding haha. Good luck.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

Last time I caught myself doing three sterilization runs because one particular style jar - a tall 440ml jar - I could only fit three of them in my PC. Of another style jar, which is bigger in volume - 500ml - but a tad shorter, I figured out I can fit four - strange. Had to do something about that nevertheless.

This time I bought some nice popcorn I know works well for my method, but clearly underestimated the amount of jars that go out of 800 grams of dry corn. Was aiming for eight jars but could fill ten 500ml jars and one 440ml jar up to an inch of the brim. Just about the max I can pressure cook in one run now. Wasn't necessary to do so much but it's nice to know that I can.

About the pasteurization, was thinking about separately sterilizing in jars or do a boiled water pasteurization - but since I have a big pot now and also have some filter bags left over from when I planned to grow in bags as FC in the way some grow kits do. Could use this to load up with a hydrated mix of verm+coco and pop a thermometer in it, pasteurize it the 'right way'.

FC will be a roomy two-part propagator of about 22 x 12 x 9" - the bottom tray is just over three inches deep so that's how thick the substrate would be. I have this set up inside a bigger tub for extra insulation and for the moment the mushrooms might outgrow the propagator, I can simply remove the dome and I have a tray in a tub.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 07 March 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:39 PM

Cool beans. I myself prefer wide pints, like you used. I find that the perfect amount for 1 lb bags of poo, or 2 for my mini dubtubs usually works great. They colonize so fast with LC...

It might make something to do with me having an 8qt PC lol. I can fit 3 full qts in it if I just fold up a washcloth instead of using a rack. It's a tight fit, but it closes and never had one crack, yet.
  • Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

I have a 16qt presto PC that will hold 7 quarts, but I love the wide mouth pints, I haven't used a quart jar for spawn in about 18 months. The the largest tubs in spawning now are only two quarts anyway.
  • Deleena24, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

The confusion I have as European around the subject of measuring systems is a thing that plays part in all of my research. All people use different measures in their TEK - cups, quarts, scoops, pints.. It was hard finding the right way to do things for these reasons. I figured I post all my measurements in the format I know, might help a fellow confused European.

That said, the new PC is 10 liters and holds eight half liter jars, the smaller one is 3 liters and holds three or four half liter jars.. is a quart about the same as a liter? Think so.. It's a lot of measuring, tinkering and searching to match up the equipment for your setup, I do like that about this activity.

When I just had the smaller one when starting out I thought I needed a rack to have the jars standing above the water when sterilizing, so when I thought my jars wouldn't fit I made up my own TEK from the start to work around this 'issue' of not being able to use jars. It was a disaster because I did not understand the principles very well. Luckily I found out I just could put the jars on the bottom of my PC without a rack and things fit fine.. I have learnt that I have the tendency to look for issues to not follow the standard procedure and improvise on it - and have learnt that this does not work when you need to learn the basics first.

Now I try to stick to what works. Was thinking of changing grains but after buying dehulled millet and failing to prepare that in the right way I am back at popcorn.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 March 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

Not using the rack, use a small towel in the bottom, the jars vibrating/bouncing against the metal pot can crack.

Of course it isn't exact, but reading about grain spawn or substrate mixes its okay to think of liters quarts pints 500ml. Quart is actually 946ml pint 473ml. If you have an android phone, Google will convert straight from the search box for more science-y stuff.

You can pastuerize or sterilize substrate in quart jars. Actually to add to the confusion, I ended up with some oddball 24oz jars I use for substrate, and use quarts to fill out the pc. Substrate hydrated and in jars I start the pc as normal, let the steam vent for 10 minutes as normal, then turn it off and leave overnight. I'm using a mostly coir/verm substrate. If I were using a manure based sub, I probably use a more accurate pastuerization method.

Popcorn works, I've drifted away from it, mostly because I like the higher inoculation point count of smaller grains.

Never tried dehulled millet, but sounds like it would be a horrible starchy mess to work with.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

Yes I wasn't aware of the fact I had bought dehulled millet, it was the only kind I could find around here.. wrong choice, you'll end up with a cake in your jar that is hard to get out, messy. Good to know, will keep to what I know for the moment though I was looking into other grains because of the point you make: higher number of inoculation points.

Will keep in mind to use a towel next time to be safer with the glass jars - it's a good tip - so far no cracked jars yet but would be nice to keep it that way..

#10 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

The confusion I have as European around the subject of measuring systems is a thing that plays part in all of my research. All people use different measures in their TEK - cups, quarts, scoops, pints.. It was hard finding the right way to do things for these reasons. I figured I post all my measurements in the format I know, might help a fellow confused European.

That said, the new PC is 10 liters and holds eight half liter jars, the smaller one is 3 liters and holds three or four half liter jars.. is a quart about the same as a liter? Think so.. It's a lot of measuring, tinkering and searching to match up the equipment for your setup, I do like that about this activity.

When I just had the smaller one when starting out I thought I needed a rack to have the jars standing above the water when sterilizing, so when I thought my jars wouldn't fit I made up my own TEK from the start to work around this 'issue' of not being able to use jars. It was a disaster because I did not understand the principles very well. Luckily I found out I just could put the jars on the bottom of my PC without a rack and things fit fine.. I have learnt that I have the tendency to look for issues to not follow the standard procedure and improvise on it - and have learnt that this does not work when you need to learn the basics first.

Now I try to stick to what works. Was thinking of changing grains but after buying dehulled millet and failing to prepare that in the right way I am back at popcorn.

Yes 1 quart = 0.95 liters, so very close. One suggestion, if your planning to use them for g2g, try not to fill the pint jars too full so you have room to inoculate with colonized grain, so make em 1/2-3/4 full, that also helps with shaking/breaking up the colonized grains. As for millet, sucks you didn't get it prepped right, I hear it's a great grain to use, but the hydrating/prepping is a whole other method to learn, and it's pretty pricey.

Edited by Billcoz, 08 March 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#11 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Well the preparation wasn't the problem, just chose the wrong millet to work with - just another lesson learned by trial and error: Buy hulled millet!

So, no millet, no grain to grain like I said in my other topic because I have plenty of LC to work with. Put 2ml of it in each jar, will work fine with a full jar of corn, in my experience!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 March 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

Well the preparation wasn't the problem, just chose the wrong millet to work with - just another lesson learned by trial and error: Buy hulled millet!

So, no millet, no grain to grain like I said in my other topic because I have plenty of LC to work with. Put 2ml of it in each jar, will work fine with a full jar of corn, in my experience!

If you like corn but want more innoculation points, you can make it a mixture of say 70% corn and 30% of a smaller grain, like millet, milo, rye, or even buckwheat. Anything that's smaller. ( All whole with the hull) You can even do 90% corn and 10% whatever...I think you get the picture.

I think it was majormillet that used mixtures like this with amazing results. I think the mix of grains and different nutes helps as well as getting more innoculation points.

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

If you like corn but want more innoculation points, you can make it a mixture of say 70% corn and 30% of a smaller grain, like millet, milo, rye, or even buckwheat. Anything that's smaller. ( All whole with the hull) You can even do 90% corn and 10% whatever...I think you get the picture.

I think it was majormillet that used mixtures like this with amazing results. I think the mix of grains and different nutes helps as well as getting more innoculation points.

That's a cool idea. Would you prep/hydrate it the same way as corn?

#14 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Depends how you prep the corn. ;) Honestly IDK bc I haven't gotten around to doing it, but when I imagine myself doing it my first try would be to rinse, simmer starting with the popcorn, then add the smaller grains to the simmer bc they need less time. Dry then PC.

Sometimes I do a 24hr soak. I dont really stick to a method, I do what I have time to do. There are so many ways to do the same thing...

Or just rinse and use a no prep method for the whole thing. Give me some time I'll get you the details on how people do it, or maybe one of the veterans will chime in with their experiences

#15 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

Depends how you prep the corn. ;) Honestly IDK bc I haven't gotten around to doing it, but when I imagine myself doing it my first try would be to rinse, simmer starting with the popcorn, then add the smaller grains to the simmer bc they need less time. Dry then PC.

Sometimes I do a 24hr soak. I dont really stick to a method, I do what I have time to do. There are so many ways to do the same thing...

Or just rinse and use a no prep method for the whole thing. Give me some time I'll get you the details on how people do it, or maybe one of the veterans will chime in with their experiences

I have done it a couple different ways, I like to soak for 12 hrs which gets it to where there is pretty much no grains split, and I pc for 20-25 min to cook. I did a batch soaked for 24hrs and it seemed like after pcing a lot of kernels were split, there was some starchy shit i  there so I started over. When I just rinsed it, it came out of the pc hard, so I tried a 12 hr soak and that worked out.

I guess with millet, I would just rinse and simmer, millet is a smaller grain, tho IDK how well it absorbs moisture, if it's waterproof, it might hold up after a soak. The last batch of pcorn I did was soaked in coffee/gypsum water for 14hrs, but I forgot to mark which ones were the coffee soaked ones and I had others that were plain water soaked, so when they colonized i lost track of which were the codffee ones, oh well, they all colonized exactly the same, 7 days.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#16 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

It is a good idea to combine grains. I had bought millet, but after concluding that only using millet would be expensive thinking to use it as a grain to do G2G with, to end up with a mixture of corn and millet. Maybe rye would do the trick too, but unfortunately I have no idea where to buy millet locally - I don't order stuff online - but will definitely look into this idea of combining grains in the future.

For now I soak my popcorn lukewarm water for a bit, change water once after a few hours to rinse - when I feel like it, usually the next day, I boil it on low heat for an hour, let steam off for ten minutes and load up the jars.

Was having trouble with rye a year back, thought at first just prepare as on package, boil for an hour. No way, too much! Tried again with another TEK that said boil only ten minutes, but was underhydrated.. glad I tried the popcorn I had gotten from my mother to try and grow on. Seemed to work fine even after boiling one and a half hour the first run - made sure to wait until the kernels were soft and hydrated inside, but a lot of kernels had broken - heard that that is a bad thing in general for grains, but on popcorn it will still work.

An hour seems to be spot on for the popcorn I'm using now.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 March 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#17 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Well, one week later most jars are going alright. Will probably lose one to stalling, we'll see.

Lots of them showing some strong rhizomorphic growth and doing well - I like that since my Golden Teacher grows were a little less aggressive so it seems in comparison to this Mazatapec strain. I would say some are getting to or are a little further than 15% colonization now, a little slow but steady.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 14 March 2019 - 10:23 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

If there is starch you can rinse it off well with really hot water, then allow them to dry. Theyll be good to go after that.

If you want my exact process PM me I'll tell you step by step and what to look for.

#19 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

I tend to like complex things. I'm using a mix of two pet bird seed mixes with slightly different blends. One actually has some wheat and oats in it, but neither has sunflower seeds or corn. Makes me feel like a mad scientist prepping it.

Note that in reality there's no reason to believe it's any better than any other grain, combined or single. Just makes me feel good about it. And I do like the extra inoculation points small grains provide.

I was toying with the idea that added complexity boosted potency, and I can't let go of that, lol.

Again, reality steps in and the most potent I've raised to date used popcorn spawn and simple coir/verm substrate.
  • Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#20 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

I like making things more complex than they need to be for no reason actually, it has been bad luck for me sometimes so I like to keep it basic now.

Some jars:

Attached Thumbnails

• AB263891-6BE3-4A69-B998-12856F0E0B52.jpeg

• Deleena24, Cuboid, Billcoz and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!