35 replies to this topic

#21 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

There are are lots of houses. I used to work all of eastern pa. Literally dozens of mushroom houses. The first commercial mushroom farm in PA was in a house. A lot more mushroom houses than underground facilities.

The scale of the mushroom mines I am familiar with are far larger than could be in a house... they are shipping their mushrooms across a large section of the country,... I thought a lot of the specialty mushrooms were grow in houses and outbuildings but I don't see how Agaricus farmers could compete with the mushroom mines...

I could be wrong and I am sure it is different region to region but every button mushroom I have seen in the surrounding 3-4 states has been packaged and sold by one of three farms which are all operating in abandoned coal mines.

#22 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

No underground facilities in Chester county. Chester county produces half of the country's mushrooms by itself. Total production in the rest of the state is less than half of what is produced in Chester county.

#23 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

No underground facilities in Chester county. Chester county produces half of the country's mushrooms by itself. Total production in the rest of the state is less than half of what is produced in Chester county.

I stand corrected!! Apparently the underground mushroom farm I am familiar with is the only underground mushroom farm in the united states... 

The world largest commercial mushroom facility had been in western Pennsylvania... Armstrong County... It is located in a converted limestone mine that where limestone was extracted after the coal seam was removed.

After further review, I think that the Armstrong County facility has been drastically downsized in the last ten years.

#24 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

Do you happen to know the temperatures in these mines? I know they're consistent, as well as the humidity. If only I had access to an abandoned mine... LOL

In all seriousness, there are over 46,000 abandoned mines in the US alone. That's only the number on public land, too. If you live in the right area of the country, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities to get access to one. Not saying it would be legal, though. Hah.

#25 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

One of the problems the mushroom industry is having is getting the labor to pick them. Production has been slowing down every year.

#26 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

The underground temperature, without going incredibly deep, maintains in the mid 50s F....

• Deleena24 likes this

#27 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Yeah they usually sit at 55 degrees. Sorry I edited out couple posts above for privacy reasons.

@PJ - I think your thinking of Creekside Mushrooms near Pittsburgh. They went out of business 2010-2011 ish and I'm not sure if anyone bought the rights to the cave or business. That place was HUGE like 130-160 miles of caves.

#28 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Yeah they usually sit at 55 degrees. Sorry I edited out couple posts above for privacy reasons.

@PJ - I think your thinking of Creekside Mushrooms near Pittsburgh. They went out of business 2010-2011 ish and I'm not sure if anyone bought the rights to the cave or business. That place was HUGE like 130-160 miles of caves.

They are now much small are their focus is on genetics and spawn production. Yes, Creekside and their Moonlight Mushroom brand. Sylvan Spawn is located in Kittanning, PA which is the county seat of Armstrong County where the mine operation was located... They are still growing mushrooms but are not selling mushrooms commercially from that location. 

Edited by PJammer24, 08 March 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#29 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

They use to be a major employer in the area I think during its peak close to 450-500 people worked their. Then they laid off the remaining few hundred more in the early 2010's it was a big blow to the area. I had many friends from that area in college. That's cool the few people left are still involved in someway.

Anymore it's all Kennett Square, PA and the surrounding area. I plan on going to the Mushroom festival this year in September on mushrooms

Edited by MysticalMyco, 08 March 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#30 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

I drove through Kennett Square so many times. I was up there about 15 years and never made it to that festival.

#31 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

I am a strong believer in cutting, wild or cultivated.
Ive noticed on cow patties and cubies, if i just twist and oull, not only do i have to still cut shit off, i damaged the mycelium structure, opening a deep wound into an area that would not have been exposed to open air. If a mushroom goes unpicked, it does the same thing as if you cut them off as close to the base. I have tried both techniques while collecting wild and grown next to each other. (I collected cow shit that had cubes picked off, moved to a safer location) I love science, data needs to be reproduced. Many many manny times over the cut stemed patties would out produce the twist and pull.

It would seem the stem acts more like natural barrier, yet let more larger mushrooms to form in its place.

#32 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

I think it was Paul Stamets that I heard one time say that you shouldn't cut a mushroom, but pull it apart by hand, but I never heard an explanation as to why.  Anyone happen to know if there was any relevant reason, or if it was just one of those "doing things naturally" kinda things?

#33 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

Ripping fruit body up for cooking as it would help preserve flavour I think.

#34 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:10 AM

I've been a twist and puller until this last batch of tubs. There is a 100% benefit of cutting every single fruit vs twisting/pulling. I'm noticing a lot more Mycelium mounds at the base of shrooms and as a result many more uniform clusters, even off a MS syringe.

I was always worried about stumps and myc mounds rotting. But they did 100% better. In most of the Mycelium grow mounds other pins actually form into nice shrooms and this happened multiple times.

My 2nd flush has always been great but now I'm noticing much more uniformity.

I don't care what anyone says I'm a cutter for life now lol.

Cutting is a real issue. And I want you to know I’m here for you my friend. There are other ways to handle the pain. :-)

Good shit homie!! I’m gonna try cutting!!

#35 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

That dudes a thread killer!

#36 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:28 PM

Paper or plastic?  Boxers or briefs? potatoe or Potato?  It all depends on whether you walk to school or carry your lunch.      

http://www.fungimag...._Agaricidal.pdf

Edited by Seeker2be, 10 March 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• roc, peacefrog and jkdeth like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!