• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:31 PM

I noticed something. I had a few tubs that went for a dunking. My tubs are like 40% larger then a typical monotub so there is almost no way to get all the water out from a dunking/flooding without any breakage.

Anyway the craziest shit just happened. My sub broke into 4 manageable pieces then and then maybe 6-8 small crumbs like no more then 1x1 inches most and like 1/2 by 1/2.

Every single one grew clusters of shrooms. I tried to put the clusters back we're they fell off and rather then attaching themselves back on to the main they all grew shrooms.

Here is what I'm talking about. Notice how thin and small the chunks are. Like these where completely detached and grew like 5 days later. This thing had 3 more mushrooms that got cut before I figured I should take a picture. The sub it grew on was the size of my fingernail. Granted the mushrooms in these chunks are small.

I'm down to from 4.5 inches which took FOREVER to colonize in a 90qt mono down to 1.75-2.25 inches in my newest tubs and the are some of the nicest most uniform mushrooms I've grown to date. I think I'm gonna play around with some really thin subs in my test containers. Like 1 inch with a high ratio of spawn and moist substrate to see what happens

I dunno I thought seeing 6-7 of these things laying around my tub this morning was cool looking lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190308_152144.jpg

Edited by peacefrog, 09 March 2019 - 04:32 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,110 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

You just had a post about how your substrates were drying out and now you want to go thinner? 

The reason the mushrooms in your photo are tiny is because of the limited resources available in that tiny piece of substrate...

if your substrates are drying out you should be talking about experimenting with thicker substrates, not thinner....

If larger substrates are taking too long to colonize, just increase the spawn ratio.... I do right around 1-1 spawn to substrate and I get full colonization in a a week to ten days.... Increasing spawn ratio also greatly reduces contamination risk and increases the vitality of your mycelium.

Experiment if you must but I can tell you some of what will happen... You are going to find your substrates getting dry, you are going to be tempted to dunk mid flush which isn't ideal, you will experience increased abort ratios due to inadequate resources, you will get small mushrooms, and you will need to buy some Excedrin to deal with the headache your going to give yourself....

4-5" substrate man... increase vermiculite ratio, and use more spawn... You will colonize faster, you won't dry out, and you will will have resources necessary to grow healthy mushrooms....

The tiny mushrooms are pretty damn cute though so carry on if you must!!

• mushit, roc and Billcoz like this

#3 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

I agree with everything PJ says, but if your looking for a really quick and 1 flush and done type deal then this might be worth your time.

But if you want more than 1 flush, thicker is absolutely easier to manage. It has more nutrients, more water, helps maintain it's own humidity, shrinks less...I can go on and on.

I like 3 to 4 inches, I get 3 beautiful flushes then I toss. I could get 5 if I went through the trouble and didnt mind green showing up occasionally, but I do mind and I'm lazy.

If you like using thin subs, try an exotic :)
  • mushit and Billcoz like this

#4 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

They were only small on the chunks. The main bodies of mycellium started at 2 inchs thick and produced maybe 3.5 - 5 inch shroomies across the board maybe 5.0oz-7.0 oz dried for the first flush per 90qt. One of them seemed dry so I dunked all the the tubs from that batch with baby pins all over and it actually worked out really good. Because of the increased moisture content mid flush it actually kept the tub nice and humid inside. I really didn't get much aborts at all at the 2 inch level. I may get more aborts if I go thinner. I just thought it was neat I had all those little chunks at 1/2 inch thick growing clusters lol.

I like playing around there's surely no harm in it lol.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 08 March 2019 - 05:05 PM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

I like playing around there's surely no harm in it lol. 
Edited by MysticalMyco, Today, 04:05 PM.

Absolutely. That's why I still make my infamous garbage jars sometimes. Plz post your weirdness. I sure do.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#6 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

I kinda play it by ear. I'm not all stern like following teks to a T. I usually just wing it. I think like a mushroom. I become the mushroom. LoL.

I need to post more pics. It probably seems like I have all these crazy issues with all my grows but really it's just 1-2 out of the 14-15 I got going at any given time. I feel like I only log on when I have some sort of issue with one of my babies. I need to start posting some of my good ones. I just get so excited when it's time to harvest I just snip snip snip instead of snappin some shots.

Agar is gonna be a game changer for me. I got my first batches in the works now.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 08 March 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• peacefrog, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#7 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

I just realized how illiterate my title/subject is for this string of posts is. "How thin you can you" lol
  • peacefrog and RutgerHauer like this

#8 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

Trust me, I know that just because most of your posts involve some type of issue doesnt mean we all think you're not having success, too.

I know I dont post everything of mine.

#9 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:34 AM

Fixed the title for you. If you would like me to do anything differently, please PM me and I will happy to help.

I will give it a couple of days and then hide this post as well so not to mess up your thread.

Good vibes.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

It would be interesting if you included in your experiments little subs shaped to mimic cow patties from the pasture.  Of course in nature, mycelium from a small cow patty could also wick additional moisture from the ground. Perhaps make faux patties on a bed of wet vermiculite for the simulation? 

• roc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!