• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

This post is a little more serious. My indoor/outdoor cat likes going into the part of our building that the Mushrooms grow. I'm assuming he like the heat and peace and quiet.

Maybe a 4-8 weeks ago I noticed that my little furry friend was loosing small patches of fur in areas that he licks. His slight hair loss happened around the same time that I inceased my tub count in that building. This hair loss has never happened in his short 5 years of life for have any other ailments.

Earlier today I was play fighting and rough-housing him and noticed his lymph-nodes especially the ones in his head on the left are swollen.

So like many things I asked google and it popped up with like 10 possible causes. On the top of the list was a fungal condition called Sporotrichosis. So now I'm looking at info on Sporotrichosis. I find out that it's caused by something called Sporothrix schenckii and it's found in many types of decomposing soils, peat mosses, and plant material. I'm thinking "wow mycelium helps break down things, maybe there's a link". It said that the most common way to become infected with Sporothrix is through cuts and scratches. Well I have two cats and they can be rough with each other from time to time and when they are really rough there have been times they scratch each other to the point of bleeding.

The one cat that lays in the building with the mushrooms has the swollen lymph nodes. That little shit literally lays on the closed lids of my tubs. So now I'm wondering if it was a mistake ever letting him into that building at all.

Do you folks think their is a chance that this is the reason it's happening? I've never heard of such a thing and dont even know if a Coco Coir, Verm, & Hpoo substrate would have such a thing in it but I imagine that it could. His poor little lymph node feels like a pebble.

You think I should ban him from his napping spot and board up his little kitty door into the building or is it outside of the realm of possibility that Sporothrix is causing this. If it stays swollen more the 10-14 days I'll take him to the vet

Edited by MysticalMyco, 09 March 2019 - 02:36 AM.

#2 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:13 AM

That could be many things, have you look at the gums? are they inflamed?  

Bacterial disease, such as bartonellosis (Cat Scratch Fever) and tularemia. I hate to say it, but I think you might have to look at Feline leukemia more than the fungi... 

Also missing patches of fur, does it have ring worms? that would enlarge its glands.

WW

Edited by WolfWhiz, 09 March 2019 - 03:14 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:43 AM

I dunno, I call him my mushroom watcher because he likes to watch the mushrooms grow and is in there sooo much . I had something similar as the cat happen to me. Maybe 2-4 weeks ago were my glands were swollen for a day or two with mild fever then the next day or two fine. It went back and forth like that for 3 weeks. Drove me crazy.

I feel bad that animals that we take care of can't talk (unless im on shrooms) because that would drive me crazy if I couldn't express to someone how I feel.

He isn't acting any different. Maybe it's something that's always been there and I just hasn't noticed. He does squint his eyes when I press on it.

He's probably fine it could be something is his recent diet too. We like to swap high grade cat foods around for them so they aren't forced to eat the same thing everyday for all of there short eternity lol there spoiled.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

He does squint his eyes when I press on it.

Haha, I would squint if you pressed on my eye too. I know what you meant but it sounds funny as hell.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

Of course, cats squint their eyes all the time, I do it too when I run into cats. Cats are crazy, sometimes they act normally and there's something wrong with them, and vice versa..

It could easily be some kind of skin allergy the cat developed, I had a cat once that had that when eating the cheaper foods, when keeping to a healthy diet everything seemed fine regarding the skin and hair issues..

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

ve read some things about people developing allergies to oyster spores, maybe some health probs from cube spores as well.

Edited by Billcoz, 09 March 2019 - 10:48 AM.

#7 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

Nevermind,
I believe it's diet related now. I did a search on Temptations cat treats and there is all this info on cats loosing hair and developing minor immune issues.

I started thinking why one got it and not the other. One lays on shrooms one doesn't. So I thought maybe it was that. Well then I went through there diet with a fine tooth comb and looked into their treating habbits, that's the only part about there diet that is different. We feed them high grade foods but shitty treats. But only the one loosing hair eats Temptations.

So then I look it up online and find all these temptation eating hair loosing cat support groups, blogs, and posts and I guess certain cats are more susceptible to hair loss and other issues when eating these things. Someone equated it to putting your cat on the Super-Size me movie diet. Supposedly this is a known issue with Temptations. So I'll take the one cat that eats them off of them and see if that resolves the issue.

He would order those things by the truckload if he could. There like kitty crack.
  • MsBehavin420 and Billcoz like this

#8 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

Nevermind,
I believe it's diet related now. I did a search on Temptations cat treats and there is all this info on cats loosing hair and developing minor immune issues.

I started thinking why one got it and not the other. One lays on shrooms one doesn't. So I thought maybe it was that. Well then I went through there diet with a fine tooth comb and looked into their treating habbits, that's the only part about there diet that is different. We feed them high grade foods but shitty treats. But only the one loosing hair eats Temptations.

So then I look it up online and find all these temptation eating hair loosing cat support groups, blogs, and posts and I guess certain cats are more susceptible to hair loss and other issues when eating these things. Someone equated it to putting your cat on the Super-Size me movie diet. Supposedly this is a known issue with Temptations. So I'll take the one cat that eats them off of them and see if that resolves the issue.

He would order those things by the truckload if he could. There like kitty crack.

I know this is the fungi forum, but I beg of you stay away from any treats or foods that contain color additives. Even in humans they're terrible and can result in some very serious conditions, cancer included. I feel like animals are even more sensitive to these things. Just my opinion and advice on the issue.

Plus, why do companies dye dog kibble? They're RG colorblind and cant tell most of the colors apart anyway LMAO.
  • Billcoz likes this

#9 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Just keep a watching eye on that lymph. If it gets any larger please see a vet. I'm not one to run the kids to the vet unless they're open mouth panting (or the obvious I can't and need a Dr).

We lost our dog to lymphatic cancer. Then next dog to osteosarcoma and my current had skin cancer
cbd oil is a good help. I usethe company called IrieCBD.

If you can remove the dry portion of food and only feed wet, is best. Dogs also. Dry food is the worst.

I hope your kitty gets better

#10 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

I'd take him to a vet. Tell them your suspicions, and tell them why. Just say that you grow edible/medicinal mushrooms as a hobby.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • squizzlix and MsBehavin420 like this

#11 squizzlix

squizzlix

Atlantean Twins

• Free Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

have you taken him to the vet yet?

• HrVanker likes this

#12 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

I'd take him to a vet. Tell them your suspicions, and tell them why. Just say that you grow edible/medicinal mushrooms as a hobby.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

being its outdoors, could just mention seeing some mushrooms out back near a area deer hang out in
  • HrVanker likes this

#13 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

There are also other things that it could be which is why an exam is kinda necessary and a full blood workup. Which I ou should be having done once a year.... Don't beat yerself up too bad tho. I get mine in for Vax every 3.
But my one dudes got the Felv and that's a bad thing to have as an outdoor dude or dudette and can be passed very easily from one cat to others. Then you have FIv which is like felv but lesser. You can have one FIv- and one fiv+ together provided they aren't aggressive and biting which is how it gets passed on. Fiv is also less scary to deal with than felv.
amung other diseases they can contract. Cat scratch, lepto, distemper.. I hope you take him in. Spca usually has free clinics. Love & Light

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!