• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

Howdy y'all!  :hug: Been a long time, and what a weird wild ride it's been!  Glad to see the boards are just as friendly and vibrant as ever. 

Back in the saddle!  My better half expressed want to learn home agaricus cultivation, so we've done some educational bonding together over some B+ to start.  Simple classic pint jars, RTV silicone SHIPs and tyvek washer vents.  Nocced up some popcorn (prepped via https://mycotopia.ne...html?1077462728, more or less) with a spore syringe.   Four days later, first warm fuzzies:

img_sm.png

• Billcoz, mushroodz and RutgerHauer like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Good to see you are teaching your better half about some cultivation. More people should know!

What are you doing after the jars are colonized?
  • Billcoz likes this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Nice!

#4 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, I was pretty giddy when she mentioned it.  Plus she got into canning a while back, so now we have all this fancy equipment I never had before! 

We'll be casing in a single disposable baking pan, going to try out some of this seedling mix:

jiffy.jpg

I've a bag in the car I haven't broken into yet, but general consensus on the Interwebz seems that it's a coir/sphagnum/verm/perlite/lime mix.  Sounds good to me ¯\_ :cool:_/¯... I built an automated FC with which I've been pleased in dry runs, looking forward to trying it out. 

Growth's appearing/spreading quickly now, backing off the thermo from 80F to 75F.

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:11 AM

Great plan, can't wait to see how it turns out for you, should be good. Oh, and your lady sounds like a keeper, wanting to grow with you, my ex was not into any of it(what a bitch).

Edited by Billcoz, 10 March 2019 - 04:13 AM.

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:17 AM

Hope the seedling mix will work out! Would be interesting to see.

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

Jiffy Mix is an excellent casing, I use it extensively. Works for many species, too.

Are you planning on using it as a casing or are you trying to use it as bulk?

#8 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

Nice, glad to hear it's good stuff!   Yep, planning to use it as casing material, but also planning to use it in poo bulk mix. 

• Billcoz likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

How's the fuzz? I inoculated around the same day as you and jars are going good so far! Also growing on popcorn.

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, I was pretty giddy when she mentioned it.  Plus she got into canning a while back, so now we have all this fancy equipment I never had before! 

We'll be casing in a single disposable baking pan, going to try out some of this seedling mix:

attachicon.gifjiffy.jpg

I've a bag in the car I haven't broken into yet, but general consensus on the Interwebz seems that it's a coir/sphagnum/verm/perlite/lime mix.  Sounds good to me ¯\_ :cool:_/¯... I built an automated FC with which I've been pleased in dry runs, looking forward to trying it out. 

Growth's appearing/spreading quickly now, backing off the thermo from 80F to 75F.

I'd pasteurize that casing material and I'd also check the pH. I searched the ingredients and they're nowhere to be found. If you don't have litmus strips or any pH testing materials, I wouldn't necessarily run out and purchase them, but I would add some sort of calcium buffer, lime, oyster shells, dolomite, blah blah blah. If you don't have any of that,  just pasteurize it for a long time. :biggrin:

What's up with your FC? Pics or it didn't happen. :tongue:

Most importantly, what is going on here!?

photo-thumb-104454.jpg?_r=1552115799

• vork21 likes this

#11 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:35 AM

The fuzz is good!  Jars all still lookin' slick so far, appear to be about 1/4 colonized. 

Yep, gonna throw it in the oven.  I do have some litmus paper and some amendments on hand, I'll be sure to document and share when we get it mixed up. 

The avatar's a photo of Syd Barrett and Evelyn Rose (aka Iggy the Eskimo), one of many taken by Mick Rock during a 1968 shoot for The Madcap Laughs.  But at the essence of its current employ, it's a nekkid  lady and a hippie forming a V with his feet.  Same avatar I was using before the site migrated platforms, I think the old version had "Vork21" shooped onto the wall. 

The FC:

1.png

Largely superfluous and built for fun out of junk from the tinker pile, this FC features the finest clones of hobbyist tech China has to offer!  Using an Arduino Pro-Mini compatable, the Central Mindbrain Center (CMC) controls a thermoelectric cooling (TEC) module (option 8W bulb heater adapter coming soon), an internal circulation fan, and an overpriced ultrasonic nebulizer.

The Central Mindbrain Center (CMC):

2.png

Internal pascetti of the Central Mindbrain Center (CMC):

4.png

The Central Mindbrain Center (CMC) receives digital T/H data from from a DHT22 sensor via the 1/4" TRS connection.  The four pin Molex supplies 12V+ cold/GND hot, 12V+ hot/GND cold, 12V+ internal fan, and common ground.  The external heat sink fan (not pictured) is powered by TEC supplies via OR diode gate.  The fogger plugs in a relay controlled outlet built into the unit.  T/H data and heating/cooling/fogging indicators are conveniently displayed on the LCD.

The basic logic of the system is as follows:

• Temperature checked every second
  • The TEC has a duty cycle of 5 mins on 2.5 mins off in cooling mode, full on in heating mode.
  • Internal circulation fan runs for 1 min during TEC off cycle.
  • 1 degree F hysteresis
  • Humidity checked hourly.
  • Fogger runs for 5 seconds (time required for mist to traverse the length of the hose), plus 1 second for every 10% the RH is short of set target.

The Central Mindbrain Center (CMC) offers a simple command line interface from which you can set parameters via USB from your favorite terminal emulator. 

The Fogger:

bonecoh20ifier.jpg

Thanks, I hate it!  Maybe this thing works somewhere, but it certainly was not designed for dry climates.  It spews mist on the lowest setting, the humidistat goes no lower than 30%. 

So in the closet it went, and we continued using trusty 'ol Cobblepot (like, as a humidifier, for humidifying air in dwellings occupied by humans):
someonecallthezoo.jpg

I actually bought this thing over a decade ago and it still works great (though, the fan is starting to rattle a bit), highly recommended.  We like it so much I didn't really want to give it back up for mushies, plus it looks so sad what with the tubing duct taped onto the beak like some freaky deaky BDSM shit, but I digress... 

In the mutual interest of those with some electronics savvy who wish to make one of these Air-O-Swiss/Boneco units to work for this purpose, a very brief description of a simple modification:

Take it apart.  I won't bore you.

6.png

Lobotomize that sucker.  These cut wires that went to the control board are as follows:

44 - Float switch, is grounded when the reservoir isn't empty.

4 - Nebulizer oscillator/Fan.  apply +5V to make fogger go
25,26,27 - Sensors.  thermistor, humidistat,

28 - Heater.  Apply +5V to turn on inline heating element

The guts:

5.png
That connector on the bottom left there was plugged into the CN10 connector on the board.  We don't plug it back into CN10, we stick a jumper in it instead.  If you wished to make the mist level analog adjustable, this is where you'd whack your potentiometer. 

In short, tie pin 4 to 5V and add a jumper to the wire that plugged into CN10, and she'll fog when you plug it in.  But it'll die if you run it empty, we should at least get that float switch incorporated into the works.  That little perf bodge board there is just a simple PNP switch, pin 44 controls the flow between pin 4 and 5V.

Whew.  I need to go shovel some coal, for this train is out of steam. 

Edited by vork21, 14 March 2019 - 05:39 AM.

• CatsAndBats and RutgerHauer like this

#12 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

I see you like to tinker! Good stuff.

#13 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

"Whew.  I need to go shovel some coal, for this train is out of steam."

I got tired just reading it :tongue:

Yeah, I wouldn't recognize Syd Barrett from that angle. 

There's a documentary where they basically said all the songs were about Barrett once he left. I think it might be this one:

[Direct Link]

Or maybe all those acid hits scrambled my brain and I imagined it. Who knows? :biggrin:

• roc likes this

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

I saw that documentary. Sid took too much acid and fried his brain. That was a good doc tho.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

I saw that documentary. Sid took too much acid and fried his brain. That was a good doc tho.

That's what happened to me, except somehow I'm still functional after 500+ doses in a 3yr span (or am I?) :biggrin:

#16 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

That's what happened to me, except somehow I'm still functional after 500+ doses in a 3yr span (or am I?) :biggrin:

Surely you built a tolerance doing it so often?

#17 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

Haha, are you 'perma-tripping'? That's what happened to Sid, he never came back to reality.

#18 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:06 AM

IMHO, that whole 'psychonaut who never came back' business is just rosy fairy tale spun by fan speculation.  Those who knew him agree he was an odd duck before the drugs, it's debatable whether he was in what most of us agree to be reality in the first place.  He probably had serious psychological issues brewing, and coming from a fairly highfalutin family, those issues were likely totally swept under the rug his whole life.  Getting any useful mental health help is difficult now, in the 1960s it was nearly non existent (we're talking a time when lobotomies were still common) and also brought serious social stigmas of "mental deficiency".  Toss in an ultrachaotic lifestyle and a bunch of miscellaneous psychoactives to exacerbate the problems you can't get help for, I assume at some point there's no longer any remedy.  As I see it there's little difference between Syd Barrett and many of the folks occupying cots at the shelter downtown right now.  I mean, it happens every day, it's just most folks who suffer total collapse weren't on Top of the Pops.  But again just MHO, 'tis nothing but more speculation from another fan. 

#19 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:17 AM

IMHO, that whole 'psychonaut who never came back' business is just rosy fairy tale spun by fan speculation.  Those who knew him agree he was an odd duck before the drugs, it's debatable whether he was in what most of us agree to be reality in the first place.  He probably had serious psychological issues brewing, and coming from a fairly highfalutin family, those issues were likely totally swept under the rug his whole life.  Getting any useful mental health help is difficult now, in the 1960s it was nearly non existent (we're talking a time when lobotomies were still common) and also brought serious social stigmas of "mental deficiency".  Toss in an ultrachaotic lifestyle and a bunch of miscellaneous psychoactives to exacerbate the problems you can't get help for, I assume at some point there's no longer any remedy.  As I see it there's little difference between Syd Barrett and many of the folks occupying cots at the shelter downtown right now.  I mean, it happens every day, it's just most folks who suffer total collapse weren't on Top of the Pops.  But again just MHO, 'tis nothing but more speculation from another fan. 

I agree with you to an extent, but that is what Roger Watters said in the documentary, that Sid fried his brain taking too much 'cid at the hippie commune where he lived. The hippies actually called for help because Sid was fucked up. Your right that there is probably underlying psychological issues in most or all of the cases like that. 

There are rare cases of people having permanent, or at least chronic effects like HPPD, which is a real thing but still pretty rare. I have had mild HPPD, just a random 'tracer' or mild open eye visuals for a second, months after the taking a psychedelic. When I got high for the first time on weed, I had flashbacks for a couple months after, and I know of other people who had that happen.

Usually that type of thing happens when someone is accidentally dosed or has no idea of what the effects of the drug are, and expect a totally different effect than they get, usually the first time taking that substance.

One way to make a bad trip, or a psychotic episode from a psychedelic drug, would be to call 911 and have the person strapped down and injected with tranquilizers and anti-psychotics, then put them in some institution. The best way to get a person through a bad trip is to get them centered and focused on something to break their cyclical thought patterns, as was suggested in a previous post in this thread.

Dennis McKenna said that same thing about his psychotic break in La Chorrera after eating mostly mushrooms for weeks(that was their food) and all his and Terence's group, plus the local tribe wanted to have a med-evac helicopter come pick Dennis up, so Ternce protected him and told them all to let him sort it out himself. Dennis said that he would probably have been in a pshych-ward for a long time and possibly might have never recovered.

I wouldn't dismiss the power of these things outright, as the OP of another thread said, 'respect the magic'.

Edited by Billcoz, 15 March 2019 - 04:34 AM.

#20 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

Just a reminder...

Back in those days Sid was consuming acid that was very high quality.

We're not talking that nasty ass barrel bunk they called acid.

Oh how I miss the Sunshine Family days when a whole hit would take you to the bold psychedelia land and telephone poles would be bending in the wind while driving down the road.

Real Hippie trip land.

Edited by roc, 15 March 2019 - 06:32 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!