• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hello, fellow mycologists been lurking a long time, but never had a bulk setup. Going to use 66 quart tubs. I have been trying to decide on a substrate that wont smell up the house. I've decided to go with coir and maybe do a rez effect tub but wanted to get more than one or two flushes. Would wheat straw and coir be an ok mix on its own or would I be missing something? Is there anything I can add to the substrate to help resist contam?

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

Hi, first of all welcome! I am not experienced in doing bulk grows but have read a lot about it.

You could look into cold water pasteurization for the straw, I believe they use hydrated lime for that - from what I have read using straw can be a big contamination risk in itself so it would be good to clean things up I guess.

You could also use coir+vermiculite - since they both have less contaminants present than straw for example - or just plain coco coir, seems to be working just fine for some people..
  • Advocate4TheMT and WolfWhiz like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

Hello, fellow mycologists been lurking a long time, but never had a bulk setup. Going to use 66 quart tubs. I have been trying to decide on a substrate that wont smell up the house. I've decided to go with coir and maybe do a rez effect tub but wanted to get more than one or two flushes. Would wheat straw and coir be an ok mix on its own or would I be missing something? Is there anything I can add to the substrate to help resist contam?

Pasteurizing substrate doesn't really smell bad IMO... I use hpoo substrates pretty exclusively and I have never taken umbrage to the smell... It smells earthy, that's about it...

Your house isn't going to start smelling like farts... 

• roc likes this

#4 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thanks guys! I had never heard of a cold water pasturization. I am already intrigued hehe. I feel like a goof not paying attention to my own post, but what can I say? Life is hectic. Ive heard before that the pasturized poo doesn't stink but is very earthy. I figured it would be a very strong earthy for my studio appartment though. Considering my landlord is like an invasive species in my habitat haha but maybe i will give it a shot..

#5 seventen

seventen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hello Dimitri. So i have come to realize(In my experience) that less is more with bulk substrates. For 5qts of spawn. I use 1 brick of coir, 2 qts verm and pasteurize with 4 qts of boiling water in a 5 gallon bucket. Works wonders, its Damion5050 Coir Tek. Sometimes I will use gypsum depending on what kind of grains I will be using. It doesn't stink up the house at all. There is a faint earthy odor when you open to bucket to mix it or to spawn but that's about it. Good luck!

Edited by seventen, 24 March 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 466 posts

Donator

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

Sterilizing Grain jars stinks up my house. I pasteurize in a cooler and the smell from the sub (poo/coir) doesnt even permeate in to the room

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!