** note I tried to post this in 'Myco lab' but it asked for a topic prefix and would not post. Don't know what a topic prefix is if it is not 'Myco lab' ** Feel free to move it if you like
This was an off-handed experiment. I note, that with cubensis in my limited experience, the veil seems to be spore coated totally black even shortly after it breaks. I'm not sure if it's getting spores while closed or if that's from early sporulation that I just have not detected as black soot everywhere else.
Well, it should be fairly sterile. I took some sterile scissors and cut away the veil. I then dabbed it in 4 spots on an old PDA, cpoo plate I had laying around. I then placed the veil onto the center of the plate, spore side down.
Interesting observations here:
I saw immediate growth from the veil. I suspected it was the original fruit tissue, being too aggressive for spores. After about 4 days, I noted the familiar haze of spore growth where I had dabbed the veil. Now at 8 days, however, the (presumed) fruit growth has taken over much of the plate with lovely rhizomorphic growth while the spore spots are showing the expected MS growth pattern.
I don't know if I'll continue to propagate this clone. It was just an experiment. Prob will. I can't bear not to grow something that's showing promise.
Hypothesis - mushroom veil to agar may be a convenient way to propagate an individual fruit quickly without the fuss of dissecting stipe or cap. With the aggressive growth, this may confer some added resistance from contamination as well as speed up the process by a week.
I'll certainly try again and report. At this point in my limited experience with a few fruit clones, I would expect a piece of stipe at 8 days to just show a few mm of growth and certainly not cover a plate. I have also noted contams with a chunk of stipe, although I have noted the myc to overtake the contam I thought bacterial on one instance.
Edited by raymycoto, 09 March 2019 - 10:37 PM.