6 replies to this topic

#1 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

** note I tried to post this in 'Myco lab' but it asked for a topic prefix and would not post. Don't know what a topic prefix is if it is not 'Myco lab'  ** Feel free to move it if you like :smile:

This was an off-handed experiment. I note, that with cubensis in my limited experience, the veil seems to be spore coated totally black even shortly after it breaks. I'm not sure if it's getting spores while closed or if that's from early sporulation that I just have not detected as black soot everywhere else.

Well, it should be fairly sterile. I took some sterile scissors and cut away the veil. I then dabbed it in 4 spots on an old PDA, cpoo plate I had laying around. I then placed the veil onto the center of the plate, spore side down.

Interesting observations here:

I saw immediate growth from the veil. I suspected it was the original fruit tissue, being too aggressive for spores. After about 4 days, I noted the familiar haze of spore growth where I had dabbed the veil. Now at 8 days, however, the (presumed) fruit growth has taken over much of the plate with lovely rhizomorphic growth while the spore spots are showing the expected MS growth pattern.

I don't know if I'll continue to propagate this clone. It was just an experiment. Prob will. I can't bear not to grow something that's showing promise.

20190309 202009

Hypothesis - mushroom veil to agar may be a convenient way to propagate an individual fruit quickly without the fuss of dissecting stipe or cap. With the aggressive growth, this may confer some added resistance from contamination as well as speed up the process by a week.

I'll certainly try again and report. At this point in my limited experience with a few fruit clones, I would expect a piece of stipe at 8 days to just show a few mm of growth and certainly not cover a plate. I have also noted contams with a chunk of stipe, although I have noted the myc to overtake the contam I thought bacterial on one instance.

Edited by raymycoto, 09 March 2019 - 10:37 PM.

• bezevo and Advocate4TheMT like this

#2 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

** note I tried to post this in 'Myco lab' but it asked for a topic prefix and would not post. Don't know what a topic prefix is if it is not 'Myco lab' ** Feel free to move it if you like :smile:

This was an off-handed experiment. I note, that with cubensis in my limited experience, the veil seems to be spore coated totally black even shortly after it breaks. I'm not sure if it's getting spores while closed or if that's from early sporulation that I just have not detected as black soot everywhere else.

Well, it should be fairly sterile. I took some sterile scissors and cut away the veil. I then dabbed it in 4 spots on an old PDA, cpoo plate I had laying around. I then placed the veil onto the center of the plate, spore side down.

Interesting observations here:

I saw immediate growth from the veil. I suspected it was the original fruit tissue, being too aggressive for spores. After about 4 days, I noted the familiar haze of spore growth where I had dabbed the veil. Now at 8 days, however, the (presumed) fruit growth has taken over much of the plate with lovely rhizomorphic growth while the spore spots are showing the expected MS growth pattern.

I don't know if I'll continue to propagate this clone. It was just an experiment. Prob will. I can't bear not to grow something that's showing promise.

Hypothesis - mushroom veil to agar may be a convenient way to propagate an individual fruit quickly without the fuss of dissecting stipe or cap. With the aggressive growth, this may confer some added resistance from contamination as well as speed up the process by a week.

I'll certainly try again and report. At this point in my limited experience with a few fruit clones, I would expect a piece of stipe at 8 days to just show a few mm of growth and certainly not cover a plate. I have also noted contams with a chunk of stipe, although I have noted the myc to overtake the contam I thought bacterial on one instance.

Keep this going my friend !!! Great stuff!!! Thank you.

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:08 AM

Awesome man, I have wondered about dropping a sample of veil on agar, but wondered if the veil tissue would grow itself, or if the spores on it would germinate. Pretty cool.

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Nice going. Interesting stuff. Have to get into agar for sure.

#5 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

Awesome man, I have wondered about dropping a sample of veil on agar, but wondered if the veil tissue would grow itself, or if the spores on it would germinate. Pretty cool.

Look at the plate! The rhizomorphic growth is the veil. It's almost to the edge of the plate. Even though it was covered black with spores, those spores apparently did not germinate or if they did, then they are about 15mm behind and mixed with the tissue near the center. However, I believe they were suppressed. I just dabbed the veil around the plate to see what would happen. Next time I have some fruits popping up I'll pop some veils as early as possible onto plates without getting any spores involved on the plate.

This might also be a good technique if you intend to start some MS from a particular fruit.

Say you have a monster fruit or one from a really dense colony or whatever. If you want to clone it and also take some spores, take the veil. Cut it sterily from the stipe or as it's breaking. Dab it onto one or more plates. Throw it onto the middle of another plate or cut it and do multiple plates for redundancy. Make a nice print from the cap. Now you have no-hassle iso genetic tissue that's gonna take off, nice sterile sample of spores on a plate ready to do their thing and you are printing the cap. You might save a week on the iso growth and a few days on getting spores from the print.

Or so it seems. I'll try again soon and report. You do the same.

Edited by raymycoto, 10 March 2019 - 10:14 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#6 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

I just got my Agar, supplements and equipment!! I plan on putting together my first batch tomorrow.
  • raymycoto, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,838 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

The rhizomorphic growth is the veil.

I agree. Snip that section of the best riz and transfer that.

• Cuboid and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!