4 replies to this topic

#1 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:23 AM

Offer any thoughts here. This is a basic technique but I've never done it until tonight. There are a few techniques for taking a spore print to liquid suspension. I searched and found the ziplock technique and that seemed to suit me on this attempt.

As prints can vary quite a bit in their density, so might the density of spores if we have some rule like 'one print to 150 cc of water'. One needs enough spore density and enough water volume to inoculate into whatever jar - PF, grain, bag.

So if you had a super dense syringe,

• How would you dilute a really dense suspension to get a nicely viable inoculant for, say, a grain jar?
  • Is more dense always better?

I had a few prints on one foil and not even super dense - I got tons of this cultivar on print so I decided to do them all at once.

20190309 105108
20190309 110933

After mixing

20190309 152040

After settling

20190309 201206

Vid showing the settled spores

20190309 201224

I sterilized the back of the foil with alcohol then chopped up the foil with sterilized scissors, putting the pieces in a baggie, then adding 20cc water I shook the and massaged the bag then extracted the liquid. Then threw in a few extra cc water to wash the remainder and then re extracted. I got a really black liquid that's so dense direct sunlight cannot penetrate.

Interesting observation - the spores really sink to the dependent side of the syringe after a few hrs. I have an LC for this cultivar but I'll be trying some MS jars for grins and the experience and really only want maybe 4 x quart jars to play with. But maybe I'll do more later, so I'm happy to save some for later.

It's easier to send prints than syringes but it occurs to me that one could squirt a little of this super concentrate into a micro ziploc (like 1" x 2") and send to to someone for their microscopic enjoyment.

Edited by raymycoto, 10 March 2019 - 12:27 AM.

• Advocate4TheMT and joeya like this

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:43 AM

I have prints in jars and on foil, but to make syringes from the printed foil(already in baggies) I take a sterile syringe(I only have some 12cc), and a jar of sterile water(150-300ml water) with a SHIP/filter lid. Flame the needle, stick it in the(alc wiped) water jar injec port and fill the syringe and retract.  Wipe the baggie well w/alc, flame the needle on the syringe, wipe the baggie again while the needle cools, then stab the needle into the bag and inject the 12cc of water, pull it out and repeat 2-4 times, depending on the density of spores/print size, flaming the needle between. Take the needle out, tape the hole(s), then massage the baggie/foil until the print is rinsed into the solution. Then stick in the syringe back in, suck the spore water up and retract the needle from the bag, flame it, and stick it back in the water jar and squirt it in, repeat until all the spore water is out of the baggie and in the water jar, which I swirl around at first. That gives you a stock solution to draw from 5-10(or more) times with enough spores to colonize grains in 2 weeks. Iv'e only done this once with a fairly light print(nothing like yours in the pics), and had no probs with contams, and all germed. I guess it's the same principle as your method, only I had the prints in the baggies already. I do the same with the prints in jars.

Edited by Billcoz, 10 March 2019 - 04:01 AM.

• Advocate4TheMT likes this

#3 itok335

itok335

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:52 AM

how to make print spores on oyster mushrooms ?

Sent from my Lenovo A2020a40 using Tapatalk

#4 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

I have prints in jars and on foil, but to make syringes from the printed foil(already in baggies) I take a sterile syringe(I only have some 12cc), and a jar of sterile water(150-300ml water) with a SHIP/filter lid. Flame the needle, stick it in the(alc wiped) water jar injec port and fill the syringe and retract.  Wipe the baggie well w/alc, flame the needle on the syringe, wipe the baggie again while the needle cools, then stab the needle into the bag and inject the 12cc of water, pull it out and repeat 2-4 times, depending on the density of spores/print size, flaming the needle between. Take the needle out, tape the hole(s), then massage the baggie/foil until the print is rinsed into the solution. Then stick in the syringe back in, suck the spore water up and retract the needle from the bag, flame it, and stick it back in the water jar and squirt it in, repeat until all the spore water is out of the baggie and in the water jar, which I swirl around at first. That gives you a stock solution to draw from 5-10(or more) times with enough spores to colonize grains in 2 weeks. Iv'e only done this once with a fairly light print(nothing like yours in the pics), and had no probs with contams, and all germed. I guess it's the same principle as your method, only I had the prints in the baggies already. I do the same with the prints in jars.

Thanks, my friend! Nice technique minimizing the 'touching' of the print. I'm liking the jar technique as well.

Edited by raymycoto, 10 March 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• itok335, Billcoz and Advocate4TheMT like this

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

how to make print spores on oyster mushrooms ?

Sent from my Lenovo A2020a40 using Tapatalk

I guess oysters have light colored spores you would want to print on dark paper to make it easier to see the spores, but it's basically the same process. This is the fist thing that came up on google for oyster prints- 

How to Collect Oyster Mushroom Spores

1. Cut off the stem of the oyster mushroom at the base of the fan-shaped cap. ...
  2. Place the oyster mushroom cap on the dark colored paper with the underside down on the paper. ...
  3. Place the glass cup or bowl over the mushroom cap and place the setup in a cool and dry place for 48 hours.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!