Offer any thoughts here. This is a basic technique but I've never done it until tonight. There are a few techniques for taking a spore print to liquid suspension. I searched and found the ziplock technique and that seemed to suit me on this attempt.
As prints can vary quite a bit in their density, so might the density of spores if we have some rule like 'one print to 150 cc of water'. One needs enough spore density and enough water volume to inoculate into whatever jar - PF, grain, bag.
So if you had a super dense syringe,
- How would you dilute a really dense suspension to get a nicely viable inoculant for, say, a grain jar?
- Is more dense always better?
I had a few prints on one foil and not even super dense - I got tons of this cultivar on print so I decided to do them all at once.
I sterilized the back of the foil with alcohol then chopped up the foil with sterilized scissors, putting the pieces in a baggie, then adding 20cc water I shook the and massaged the bag then extracted the liquid. Then threw in a few extra cc water to wash the remainder and then re extracted. I got a really black liquid that's so dense direct sunlight cannot penetrate.
Interesting observation - the spores really sink to the dependent side of the syringe after a few hrs. I have an LC for this cultivar but I'll be trying some MS jars for grins and the experience and really only want maybe 4 x quart jars to play with. But maybe I'll do more later, so I'm happy to save some for later.
It's easier to send prints than syringes but it occurs to me that one could squirt a little of this super concentrate into a micro ziploc (like 1" x 2") and send to to someone for their microscopic enjoyment.
Edited by raymycoto, 10 March 2019 - 12:27 AM.