7 replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

As I have mentioned in the past, my experience is relatively pigeon holed having worked with bulk substrates almost exclusively... I have never seen a need to incorporate a casing layer... UNTIL NOW!!

The PE clone I am working with blobs more readily than PE I have worked with in the past. I was prepared to get some blobbage but the rate is just too high for me to accept. Last night, I frantically applied a casing layer with the Verm I had on hand. I was short on verm so I applied a very thin layer to the top for now but intend to supplement this evening...

With no experience casing, I am looking for some input. I intend to incorporate an approximately 1/4-1/2 inch casing layer across the substrate and would like some input as to how I should construct the mix. I am picking up verm and coir this evening and also have gypsum at the house... 

Should I move forward with a 100% verm casing layer or should I use a different mix over top of the VERY thin layer of verm I applied last night? Should I buffer it? Any suggestion on mix and method would be appreciated.

The blobbage is most common in first flush and I have read that this may be due to highly nutritious substrate??  Is this true? The first substrate I made was with a VERY WELL composted hpoo mix which seems to have little to no blobbage... I was running a little low on compost so the ratio of coir in that mix is higher than I would usually use. The ones that are intensely blobbed are a mix made from 1.5 - 2 month old hpoo which has been out in the elements... I am curious if anyone has some insight. Could the intense blobbage be due to the level of hpoo composition? Could it be because I used a higher ratio of hpoo in the second mix? Could I just be crazy and they are blobbing at the same rate and I have my bags mixed up on the shelf? Could it be due to temperature flux with the first bags remaining at a stable temperature during their formative years?

I appreciate any and all feedback!! Help your Homie!!  GO!

Edited by PJammer24, 11 March 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...us-of-my-penis/

Pretty sure that I discuss different casings in that thread, at least the bubble wrap for PE.

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

Pretty sure that I discuss different casings in that thread, at least the bubble wrap for PE.

From what I read there, you think that verm a lone is probably adequate... I have to add a little more verm to the bags but that's what I had on hand and started using.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

From what I read there, you think that verm a lone is probably adequate... I have to add a little more verm to the bags but that's what I had on hand and started using.

I've used straight verm and straight coir on multiple species with success.

In the first post here, peacefrog details his casing recipe:

https://mycotopia.ne...-log/?p=1274019

Edited by CatsAndBats, 11 March 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#5 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,100 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

All I have used is straight coir.  Works with cubes as well as pans.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

It seems I was on the right track but wanted to query the masses... I think I am going to carry on with the straight verm this go-round and see how things go... I may try to get a bit fancier in the future... I am a little late to the game casing some of these so I think I will keep to my K-I-S-S philosophy for now...

Thanks!!

• roc and CatsAndBats like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

oops wrong thread

Edited by bezevo, 12 March 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#8 seventen

seventen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

After it being recommended by a friend, I have just recently started using "Jiffy Seed Starter" as a casing layer and it works great. The only downside is that it can become a little too fine if its not moist enough, and will stick to your fruits when harvesting. Its only about $4 a bag at wal-mart. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!