• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

I have a tub that has like 50% of the shrooms looking like this. They are suppose to be B+ from The Spore Depot but I got a freak show going on in my tub. Lots of dark myc blobs that grow stems after the fact then turn into 7-9 inch monsters with hollow stems. And these guys. Some have specks on the caps others don't. I thought they looked cool.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190312_152213.jpg
  • IMG_20190312_152837.jpg
  • IMG_20190312_152810.jpg

Edited by MysticalMyco, 12 March 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#2 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

That looks a tad nasty lol! 

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Whoa, did they bruise blue?

#4 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

Shrooms with brains.  :cool:

They look a bit dry.

#5 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

Nah that's the dumb shit that happens to me when I use 4-4.5 inch substrate lol. My Thais look similar. The bruise instantly and are very brittle and moist. Even though they have semi hollow stems they are heavy. I cut open one of the balls and it has gills. It is litterally a cap without a stem and when the big blobs decides to grow there all mangled and push 10 inches lol

Edited by MysticalMyco, 12 March 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#6 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

I think it's the reverse they are too moist. When I pluck them they almost squirt shroom juice on me.

#7 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

LOL.

They are probably mutants, then.

Hopefully the strength mutated stronger as well.

• Billcoz likes this

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

I only showed the small mangled one because I thought it looked cool. Most of them look like big floppy dicks growing in my sub lol.
  • Billcoz likes this

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

Ugh. I'd trash that.
  • roc likes this

#10 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

Ugh. I'd trash that.

No dude, I'd clone one haha, just to be different.

• WolfWhiz likes this

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,285 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

Mutant shrooms on acid or maybe the new zombie strain.

I'd probably pass on those. Did that stem bruise blue?

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

The only time I got weird looking growths with anything other than PE strains is when I got my syringes from places other than my norm.

I think some places print questionable mushrooms with no regard for quality, just quantity. Some places just have better genetics, too. They isolate perfect cultures and print from perfect looking clones, lab quality setups. Others don't.

Sometimes I guess it's just the MS toll of the dice, too.

#13 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:19 PM

Looks like a alien land scape with alien pods growing :P

#14 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

Yea, they blue/bruise instantly. Everytime I get these it's when I use 4+ inches of substrate in a 90qt, but not all the time. They are HIGHLY active especially the blobs. I let a close friend try 2.5g maybe two months ago and he lost complete sense of reality and then started talking about how he was going to turn into a snake later and slither around the grass. Because he decided that was his spirit animal for the day. The other friend was tweaking out in my warehouse like walking around in circles talking in thought loops. He would start saying something only to stop and repeat the same damn idea 6-8 times. Wierd shit lol.

I grind them up for edibles.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 12 March 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#15 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Yea what's wierd is that syringe produced 4 tubs and that was the only one with mutants the other ones were really tall narrow looking shrooms. I just picked the whole tub and just flooded it. I usually get the most beautiful 2nd flush when my first flush looks like that.

Edited by MysticalMyco, 12 March 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Its not genetics. Its environmental or contaminate of some type. You're probably overhydrating the substrate, especially if you see it only with your 4 inch + subs.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

There is some speculation that blobbing with PE can be initiated by overly nutritious substrates... This, I have read, is why 1st flush sees far more blobs than other flushes.

If you are working with PE, which I think you have mentioned in a thread recently, it isn't the thickness of your sub that's causing the issue so much as it is the composition of your sub... It seems like you are hung up on 4" subs being too much and have shut off to the possibility that it might be something else... There is a reason why people tend to use substrates that are 4ish inches... I don't actually measure mine, I have a method with my bags where I throw 2 handfulls of substrate, 1 quart of spawn, and then sprinkle a thin layer of substrate on top... The end result is somewhere between 3" and 5", they either get thinner or thicker near the end of the jars I have ready based on how much substrate I have left in the bag, lol...

I had some serious blobbing recently and my reaction wasn't to change the thickness of my substrate after reading that it may have been overly nutritious (The 2 year old composts bags where I was low on compost and used less did not blob but the 2 month old hpoo bags where I loaded up with poo did blob). My reaction was to change the ratio of hpoo in the mix... The composition of your substrate is what I would suggest playing with rather than thickness. As I said in your other thread, an average thickness substrate with a higher verm ratio will help to solve your drying out problem...

I may also decrease the spawn ratio in the future for PE... Taken into consideration the differences between the bags that are producing blobs and the ones that are not, high nutrition may be playing a role considering the hotter mix appears to be the one producing the blobs.

I added a casing layer, which I have read helps, so we will see if it makes much of a difference.

• WolfWhiz likes this

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

FYI, deep substrates in large monos are more conducive to contamination due to the sub heating up more as the myc colonize the sub during the run.

#19 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:14 PM

FYI, deep substrates in large monos are more conducive to contamination due to the sub heating up more as the myc colonize the sub during the run.

How large we talkin?

I prefer to do multiple smaller tubs over 1 large. I also like to go with a 1:1 spawn ratio which colonizes awfully quickly...

• CatsAndBats likes this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

How large we talkin?

I prefer to do multiple smaller tubs over 1 large. I also like to go with a 1:1 spawn ratio which colonizes awfully quickly...

The OP mentioned a 90qt bin at 4" deep, that's too big IMHO. I do 6qt shoe boxes at 1:2 ratio (2qt grain spawn to 4qt bulk substrate). I can feel the heat off of 6qt shoe boxes, I suspect the large monos are much warmer.

Plus it's so much easier to throw out a contaminated shoe box than a big mono.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 13 March 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• PJammer24 and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!