• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

I've updated my growing protocol since these monos to a 40-50% reduction in Substrate thickness with great results. I agree it was environmental all things considered. It was most likely over hydrated.

My newest grows colonized in 30-40% less time at and around 2 inches of substrate thickness. I put some pictures in another post of my Creeper Strain. This followed my new protocols including the wax paper Tek. I love waxp paper. For me it greatly improves conditions the surface and assists in shielding from exterior contams.
  • CatsAndBats, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#22 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

I've updated my growing protocol since these monos to a 40-50% reduction in Substrate thickness with great results. I agree it was environmental all things considered. It was most likely over hydrated.

My newest grows colonized in 30-40% less time at and around 2 inches of substrate thickness. I put some pictures in another post of my Creeper Strain. This followed my new protocols including the wax paper Tek. I love waxp paper. For me it greatly improves conditions the surface and assists in shielding from exterior contams.

^^^ I'm digging all of this. I have to disagree with the wax paper being a barrier for competitor spores though, it's a great way to achieve a good microclimate but most of our growing environments are covered in bad spores, and it's likely your substrate surface was already covered in spores before the wax paper was applied.

The best defense/s against competitors are, long pasteurization, mindful cleanliness/solid clean work, and healthy/young/vigorous/aggressive mycelium IMHO of course.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're having success, keep up the good work. :thumbs_up: 

Edited by CatsAndBats, 13 March 2019 - 04:44 PM.

• MysticalMyco likes this

#23 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

True your probably right. I've been playing around with it a lot. My most recent grows I put it on right when I Spawn to Substrate. I make sure I crinkle it up and leave an inch or so opened up on the long ends of the tub for some air to get under there.

I don't pull it off for 5-7 days. Then I take it off and replace and start misting protocols.

Eitherway it works for me and the thinner subs colonize faster "for me" which also helps me get my 2-3 flushes before optimum conditions dissipate.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

True your probably right. I've been playing around with it a lot. My most recent grows I put it on right when I Spawn to Substrate. I make sure I crinkle it up and leave an inch or so opened up on the long ends of the tub for some air to get under there.

I don't pull it off for 5-7 days. Then I take it off and replace and start misting protocols.

Eitherway it works for me and the thinner subs colonize faster "for me" which also helps me get my 2-3 flushes before optimum conditions dissipate.

Try parchment paper too, or bubble wrap. The parchment paper lasts longer than the wax paper, the bubble wrap is re-usable, bubble side down for air channels..

Check out these photos:

https://mycotopia.ne...enis/?p=1351182

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!