38 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

Just keep it glistening with a fine mist, with as much FAE as you can do. Cubes do really well with a ton of o2 in my experience.

PE's can be stubborn fruiters though, they're a little unpredictable. Here's my last PE grow with tons of pictures:

https://mycotopia.ne...us-of-my-penis/

There's a lot of info on the strain, particularly when to harvest, I've seen a lot of growers harvest them way before they're done growing.

• roc, Lakegal7 and Billcoz like this

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

I pick before they open unless I'm taking some
prints.
Don't likes he spore mess

I'm pretty lazy, plus they tend to open and ripen at times when I'm too busy to pick em. They do that on purpose I think, little asshole mushrooms haha.

• Lakegal7 and aqudoc like this

#23 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

I'm very new at this so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

But for misting I've heard it is best to not directly spray the substrate.  Rather spray above it and let the water gently fall into the monotub.  Almost like a misty rain.  Also avoid tap water, I recommend using distilled/spring water.  

#24 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

But for misting I've heard it is best to not directly spray the substrate.  Rather spray above it and let the water gently fall into the monotub.  Almost like a misty rain.  Also avoid tap water, I recommend using distilled/spring water.  

Thanks for the advice, i will start doing this. i have been spraying directly on it. 

• LegoMyego likes this

#25 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Yeah that's good advice. Bulk subs are a little less resilient than cakes, and I spray up and let it fall like that for cakes as well. Try to not soak it, and fan until you think most of the moisture you just added by misting has evaporated. The sub should have plenty of moisture for the flush, the misting is not really to add moisture to the sub, it's really just to add a little moisture to the surface, just to evaporate it away by fanning, without evaping away any the mushs need to develop. This triggers pinning, evaping is one of the main pinning triggers(theoretically, I've heard someone say that it might not be so true with cubes, I'd keep doing it tho). You get the hang of how much and how often after seeing a few subs respond to the misting/fanning, and what works best for you.

Edited by Billcoz, 14 March 2019 - 05:31 PM.

• Lakegal7 and LegoMyego like this

#26 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Yeah that's good advice. Bulk subs are a little less resilient than cakes, and I spray up and let it fall like that for cakes as well. Try to not soak it, and fan until you think most of the moisture you just added by misting has evaporated. The sub should have plenty of moisture for the flush, the misting is not really to add moisture to the sub, it's really just to add a little moisture to the surface, just to evaporate it away by fanning, without evaping away any the mushs need to develop. This triggers pinning, evaping is one of the main pinning triggers(theoretically, I've heard someone say that it might not be so true with cubes, I'd keep doing it tho). You get the hang of how much and how often after seeing a few subs respond to the misting/fanning, and what works best for you.

Alrighty, ill take all the advice i can get. Ill check back in a couple days 

#27 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

Just mist it till its glistening wet. Yes you can mist it directly. As long as you see some condensation on the walls of the tub, its fine. You shouldn't need to do that much. Once or twice a day. Stop misting directly once you see pins, but that doesn't hurt much either as long as you have good FAE. Tap water is fine.
  • Lakegal7 and LegoMyego like this

#28 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the correction jkdeth. 

I advised against tap water just because of how nasty it is in my area (high chlorine, mineral, and salt concentration).  I used to have some venus fly traps and they kept dying.  So I watered one pot with tap water and the other with distilled water.  Tap ones died, so I avoid it for any type of grow now

#29 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

That's some nasty water.

#30 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

Yes certainly don't want to drink the water here

#31 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:13 AM

Mist the whole think LIGHTLY until you get pins.
After pins kind of mist towards the sides.

Once a day should be fine until the pins take off and then you can back off.

Hey Roc, can I ask why you don't mist the pins?

#32 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:42 AM

Mist the whole think LIGHTLY until you get pins.
After pins kind of mist towards the sides.

Once a day should be fine until the pins take off and then you can back off.

Hey Roc, can I ask why you don't mist the pins?

I avoid that as well because I have had healthy looking pins abort right after a hard misting. One time I forget I had twisted the adjuster nozzle on my spray bottle to hard stream and I went to mist the sub directly and shot some pins with the stream of water,. Some of em bruised and never got any bigger. Also bumping them can cause aborts. This does not happen every time, just be careful and use a fine mist, and try to spray kinda gently.

• roc and WolfWhiz like this

#33 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Student of Life

• Free Member
  • 582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

If you have chlorinated tap water, you could let a bucket/ bottle set
With no lids or caps for 24 hours. This helps to dissipate the chlorine.
Or you could boil your water.
When I'm filling up my mister, I add a wee bit of peroxide.
I remember either reading this or someone advising me
so have always done this.
  • Billcoz likes this

#34 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

I use distilled water for misting, my tap water is really high in ph, like~8.5 and has a shit ton of calcium/lime scale crud. If i water plants in soil/coir with my tap it crusts up all white on the surface after a few waterings. 

Distilled is lower ph ~5-6, which I have heard is better for keeping contams away, not sure how true that is though.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#35 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

That is flexible. Trich loves ph below 7. That high ph is great for hydrating substrates and misting the surface until pinset. Neutral or 7 seems best after. Too high will fry a pinset. (Learned the hard way)
  • Lakegal7 likes this

#36 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

That is flexible. Trich loves ph below 7. That high ph is great for hydrating substrates and misting the surface until pinset. Neutral or 7 seems best after. Too high will fry a pinset. (Learned the hard way)

Oh yeah, I had it backwards sorry, that's why, at least some say is one reason to add gypsum, to raise the ph a bit. I still don't want to use my tap water, the way it leaves lime scale is gross, though, I guess shit is gross too, and the mush love that. My tap water dries soil out.

Edited by Billcoz, 22 March 2019 - 03:09 PM.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#37 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Student of Life

• Free Member
  • 582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

Just for clarification, pasteurizing happens between 145-180f, killing off all other mesophillic spores/life that is present in substrate/casing material, while allowing the thermophillic spores to live. Sterilization only occurs at 250f at 15psi, or with some sort of radiation, ie UV, gamma, microwave etc..

I mean there's also ultra-pasteurized material too, but I'm pretty sure none of us have a dairy farm. :tongue:

https://en.wikipedia...ture_processing

TabbyCat I apologize
When I said sterilize my casing, I meant pasturize
Cats and Bats knows they're mycology. I don't ever want to pass
poor advice

How is your grow doing?
  • TabbyBoy likes this

#38 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Just for clarification, pasteurizing happens between 145-180f, killing off all other mesophillic spores/life that is present in substrate/casing material, while allowing the thermophillic spores to live. Sterilization only occurs at 250f at 15psi, or with some sort of radiation, ie UV, gamma, microwave etc..

I mean there's also ultra-pasteurized material too, but I'm pretty sure none of us have a dairy farm. :tongue:

https://en.wikipedia...ture_processing

TabbyCat I apologize
When I said sterilize my casing, I meant pasturize
Cats and Bats knows they're mycology. I don't ever want to pass
poor advice

How is your grow doing?

It is looking like it'll be pinning soon. check out my post about it. I will post more pics when i suspect it to be pinning

#39 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

Here is a pretty good breakdown of the life cycle. 

https://goo.gl/images/WN9WYa

• TabbyBoy likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!