• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

Let’s sat I have fruit ready to be picked. When I start picking I notice some small pins coming up on the cake. Do I just pick what is ready and just put the cake back and letting all fruits to grow or do I need to dunk and roll the cake?

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

I'd just pick them off and then dunk.

• PJammer24 and LegoMyego like this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Sometimes the pins will survive a dunk, usually half will abort, so either pick them off so they don't abort and rot on the cake, or leave em and watch to see if they grow or abort, and pick em before they rot, if they live let em mature.

#4 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

Ok.  That is what I did the first time but I wasn't sure that was right.  What do you guys usually do with the small pins like that?

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

You can just eat em or use em in the same way you use the full size ones. If your working with agar you can place a pin on the agar plate and it will grow myc that is genetically identical to the pin, that's one way to clone, but most people clone ful sized fruits instead, since you can pick a huge one out of a cluster and the clones will be similar in appearance, size and potency to the original.

I save my pins up and make tea sometimes.

Edited by Billcoz, 13 March 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• Lakegal7 and Turtlegirl like this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

You can just eat em or use em in the same way you use the full size ones. If your working with agar you can place a pin on the agar plate and it will grow myc that is genetically identical to the pin, that's one way to clone, but most people clone ful sized fruits instead, since you can pick a huge one out of a cluster and the clones will be similar in appearance, size and potency to the original.

I would be hesitant to clone a pin since I don't know its characteristics or if it will be prone to abort etc...

I save them for making chocolates.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#7 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:20 AM

So how long canI keep a mature fruit on the cake and still be safe? I had one tear it’s vail during the night but there are about 8 that needs maybe another day.

#8 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,275 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:42 AM

So how long canI keep a mature fruit on the cake and still be safe? I had one tear it’s vail during the night but there are about 8 that needs maybe another day.

If you don't want spores everywhere take it now.
The others will probably be ready sooner than you think.

It's not necessary to wait until the veil breaks if they are about the same size.

• PJammer24 and Turtlegirl like this

#9 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

If you don't want spores everywhere take it now.
The others will probably be ready sooner than you think.
It's not necessary to wait until the veil breaks if they are about the same size.
Thank you

#10 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,096 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

Yes, what Roc said.

I had a great flush years ago but I had to leave for the weekend.

When I got back, there were spores all over the place!  What a mess.

If you would like, take a spore print so You can be self sufficient.

• Turtlegirl likes this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

I would be hesitant to clone a pin since I don't know its characteristics or if it will be prone to abort etc...

I save them for making chocolates.

That's why I said that most people clone full sized fruits, so they can pick the characteristics they want the next gen to have. I didn't say it very clearly I guess, kind of a word salad.

• Turtlegirl likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!