• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

So a couple of months ago i nocd up like 7 AA+ pf cakes and 6 of them contaminated and the same syringe contaminated agar plates too. My question is; is it possible that the 7th cake wont contaminate and is it possible that my LC is clean?

#2 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

It is entirely NOT possible in this case. If you inoculated something a couple of months ago then it should be pretty obvious that it is contaminated by now. And spores to LC is bad news, especially a funky syringe like that.

Edited by sandman, 12 March 2019 - 11:05 PM.

• Billcoz and DaveyJonez like this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

Yeah you would not be able to see a contam in the lc. If your spores germinate at all on agar, even if there is contams on the plate, if there is any area of clean myc on a contammed plate, you can take tiny transfers from the clean spot and put it on a new agar plate. It will germinate and probably have contams on that plate too, so transfer a clean sample from that plate to a new one, and repeat until the good myc grows without a contam showing up on the plate, it will 'outrun' the contams. A trick to that, is to take your tissue samples from a leading edge of the myc from the cleanest myc on the plate, as far away from the contammed spot as you can get. Take the transfers as soon as you have enough myc growth to get a rice-sized sample of clean myc, away from any contams.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#4 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:14 AM

You could do all that agar chasing. But it might take months and it also takes a lot of skill and knowledge of what you are looking for and how to do the transfers properly. And it might not even grow any clean mycelium at all to transfer if it's as bad as you are leading on. Just order a new syringe.

I remember seeing one guy a year ago or so that was so proud of his cleaning agar from a dirty plate. So many transfers etc. I took one look at it and could tell it was just mold that he had been playing with for months. Never went anywhere of course.

Edited by sandman, 13 March 2019 - 02:16 AM.

• Billcoz and DaveyJonez like this

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:08 AM

You could do all that agar chasing. But it might take months and it also takes a lot of skill and knowledge of what you are looking for and how to do the transfers properly. And it might not even grow any clean mycelium at all to transfer if it's as bad as you are leading on. Just order a new syringe.

I remember seeing one guy a year ago or so that was so proud of his cleaning agar from a dirty plate. So many transfers etc. I took one look at it and could tell it was just mold that he had been playing with for months. Never went anywhere of course.

Yeah you make a good point, cleaning up spores with agar transfers is not really beginner level, if you don't know what your looking for you probably have trouble doing that.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#6 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, I actually have already started learning agar work and have transferred this particular variety once already and it contaminated again I guess I just need to keep trying until I have success. Just to clarify my one PF cake is good to go? Even with all of everything else contaminating?
  • Billcoz likes this

#7 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Didn't you say you inoculated it 2 months ago? Show us the cake lol.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Hey, leave me out of it!  :tongue:

• sandman, DaveyJonez and Dimitri2teachme like this

#9 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:55 PM

Didn't you say you inoculated it 2 months ago? Show us the cake lol.

I'll get pics when I get home tonight.. It may already be contaminated cuz some parts look tinted yellow but I'm not that great with color distinction so I'll let you guys take a look
  • Pan1 likes this

#10 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

Yeah, the last one is definitely contaminated too

#11 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:55 PM

It just "fully colonized" a couple days ago and I didn't see any contams... Oh well

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:08 AM

It just "fully colonized" a couple days ago and I didn't see any contams... Oh well

Donate to the site and somebody will hook you up with spores/cultures, plus you'll get a myco-chat login. :biggrin:

#13 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Donate to the site and somebody will hook you up with spores/cultures, plus you'll get a myco-chat login. :biggrin:

i get paid tomorrow and i'm on it 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

The yellowing of mycelium may just have been metabolites. Since you're pretty new at this, it would probably be a good idea to post a pic before you toss. Not everything is a contam, sometimes it's just stressed.

It took me dozens and dozens of small grows and failures to recognize the differences. Go through the archives and take a good look at the contamination pages. Get familiar with them.
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#15 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

The yellowing of mycelium may just have been metabolites. Since you're pretty new at this, it would probably be a good idea to post a pic before you toss. Not everything is a contam, sometimes it's just stressed.

It took me dozens and dozens of small grows and failures to recognize the differences. Go through the archives and take a good look at the contamination pages. Get familiar with them.

Shitttt... Lol just buried it this morning

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

No worries. What's the climate like where you live? You'll get more flushes if you're in the right place and didnt bury too deep.
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

I toss anything that has yellow on it at the grain or the cake stage (cubensis, other species have colors sometimes). Not worth it IMHO.

"Best case" scenarios are that it's metabolites, which means that the colony is fighting a bacterial contamination (unlikely IMHO), or droplets indicating verticillium (vert or dry bubble), worse case scenario/s is that it's actual bacterial slime or or even worse, mycogone perniciosa (wet bubble). IME/IMO of course.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#18 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

No worries. What's the climate like where you live? You'll get more flushes if you're in the right place and didnt bury too deep.
I live in Indiana so the climate is all over the place.. I've had a lot of contaminants so I've buried three different species in three different locations around the yard

#19 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

I toss anything that has yellow on it at the grain or the cake stage (cubensis, other species have colors sometimes). Not worth it IMHO.

"Best case" scenarios are that it's metabolites, which means that the colony is fighting a bacterial contamination (unlikely IMHO), or droplets indicating verticillium (vert or dry bubble), worse case scenario/s is that it's actual bacterial slime or or even worse, mycogone perniciosa (wet bubble). IME/IMO of course.

Well good thing I threw it out then.. What's the best way to sterilize a room as best as you can?

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

Well good thing I threw it out then.. What's the best way to sterilize a room as best as you can?

Sterilization only happens at 250f @15psi, or with radiation, ie gamma, UV, microwaves etc. The best way to sanitize a room is dry steam (pressurized steam cleaner).

What I do is just keep the growing area as clean as possible. I launder on a schedule, vacuum with a vacuum cleaner that has a hepa filter, and I use a 5% acidic cleaner on hard surfaces. I use method anti-bac (5% citric acid) on my tables and shelves, for my bins and equipment I use anti-bac dish soap (5% lactic acid). One can also use essential oil cleaners, which also have antibacterial properties, usual thymol, which is from thyme (I'd stay away from the ones made from lemon verbana, they smell awful). The thymol based products can be left to dry on the surface.

product-large-ultra-palmolive-antibacter

hp-product-hero-antibac-02-2015.png

7G-23-010.png

It was most likely droplets indicating vert, which isn't that bad, but why start behind the 8 ball? Getting super clean cultures and practicing mindful clean work will serve one better in the long run, IMHO.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 14 March 2019 - 01:59 PM.

• DaveyJonez likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!