Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How much Liquid Culture to use when inoculating grain?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

If you had half a 1L jar of optimally hydrated popcorn how much LC would you use to inoculate it? Does it make a difference what species it is?
  • Coopdog likes this

#2 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

5-10ml

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,101 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

I would make my determination based on how many jars I wanted to noc with said LC... If there was more than enough for my project, 5-10ml sounds great...  If you are cutting it close, you can get away with 2ml... As long as some mycelium makes it into your jar, you are going to be alright... colonization times might be  lengthened a little though.

Not every one cranks out LC's at sandmeista's rate....

• Coopdog likes this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thank you both. I guess I'm concerned mainly that 10ml would make the grain too wet. Also I'm asking too late as I noc'd 4 jars with 2ml each 5 days ago ...
3 of 4 nothing visible yet. The other has some thing just visible but I'm afraid its cobweb not the desired myc. As ever the mushrooms preach patience and I still haven't learned my lesson. I'll wait and see what happens with these and prepare for next time to try 10ml per jar.
Thanks again for the advice Sandy and PJ.

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

10 ml may make some pooling but it's fine trust me. It'll suck up when it starts going.

Sometimes LC can take 3-5 days to get going.

If you have cobweb you will know real fast because it grows crazy fast and doesn't look anything like mushroom mycelium. The whole jar could turn into a grey afro in 2 days if you have cobweb.

• PJammer24, Cuboid and mushroodz like this

#6 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

I finally see some bright white myc in the 2 jars that are Wine Cap. The other 2 are Hericium erinaceus and have quite evenly colonised with something. I'll try and get pictures when I can get them into some good natural light. Trying to shoot jars indoors with phone camera is a real hiding to nothing. I don't think its cobweb but it don't look like any myc I've seen before either. Does h.erinaceus have weird myc?

#7 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

erinaceus_trail_T15_IMG_3834.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!