• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Here are some very simple alternatives I've used over the years...

Incubator alternatives.

Over the years I've used everything from insulated coolers, heat bombs, temp gauges,and all kinds of gadgets.

I've learned that the upper shelf of a closet, cabinet, and other high shelves utilizing the 10 degree difference at ceiling level versus floor level.

Incubator alt.jpg

Incubator Alternative.jpg  

Nice warm and cozy and cheap!

Fast and easy drying.

Eliminate the fans by utilizing an existing heat / air vent.

Winter and summer doesn't matter because heat tends to dry the inside of a house and air conditioning sucks the humidity out of a house. Drying times are quick!

The picture reflects a couple of small trays but you can scale the concept up easily.

I've taken a window screen and propped it up over a vent to gain lots of area.

Ghetto Dryer.jpg

Field capacity substrate.

A lot of people seem to have a difficult time with this and use different methods to determine field capacity.
It doesn't get much simpler then letting gravity do the work for you.

Hang up the pasteurized, drenching wet substrate in an old pillow case and in a few hours it'll stop dripping and you are at field capacity.

The picture reflects horse shit that was submerged in water to pasteurize and taken out and hung up.

If you don't have a place to drain it like a sink hang it up outside or in a shower.

Field capacity.jpg

These are just a few KISS tips that I've successfully used.

20+ years ago when we were moving away from the simple PF Tek I got into some pretty complex gadgets and a lot of us developed some pretty neat shit but looking back we lost sight of the simplicity that PF originally brought to us.

Feel free to post some of your KISS tips.

• mushit, vork21, coorsmikey and 7 others like this

#2 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

Although this grow chamber has reverted back to it's original purpose of storage I'm going to clean it up and give her a run.

Storage unit.jpg

The original version of this was an automated PF style cake grow chamber.

View the original from 20 years ago here.

I find the chamber to be good on gas and air flow and flexible for a tray or cake grow.

I've dropped the coolmist, timer, and light these days to keep it simple.

By using the air flow of an AC/Heat register and placement under a window I actually save energy and the results are great.

Chamber parts.jpg

Chamber assembly.jpg

Chamber grate.jpg

It's old school but was a big advancement from my first PF style aquarium.

The venting and air movement is similar to the tubs with holes stuffed with polyfill and perlite in the bottom.

I still find this to be a pretty clean alternative and I'll clean it up and see how she works.

• mushit, PJammer24, peacefrog and 3 others like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

The good ole mesh laundry bag!! How many thermometer holes does that one have punched through the mesh?

My house has been kept relatively cold this winter in an attempt to keep my basement at 69-70f... I have found the need to supplement heat a little bit for spawn colonization because I am impatient... I got the tiniest little heater available at Waltropolis and threw it in the closet connected to a PID... The PID is overkill though, I am pretty sure you could do the same thing effectively with a little seedling mat controller... 

I have done the hang and drip to field capacity method... I have found with the steam pasteurization that a similar method works. I run the steamer, turn off the steam, let it sit until its cool enough to use, and presto-changeo... Field Capacity...

• roc likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Hahahaha, the only incubation that I use is the cabinet above the refrigerator for my agar. :thumbs_up:

• roc and peacefrog like this

#5 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,111 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

Cool post Roc.

I still use a heat bomb and an old cooler for incubation. 

For fruiting I use a Dub tub.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

• roc likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

Hahahaha, the only incubation that I use is the cabinet above the refrigerator for my agar. :thumbs_up:

I have grown impatient as of late... I think it is my age, there is less time ahead and less to waste... I have been a proponent of simply throwing the jars on a shelf and forgetting them for a while but that just wasn't going fast enough... I started this heating method about 2-3 months ago...

I also had done zero cultivating over the 1.5 years before moving back into this house... I feel like I am making up for lost time!

• roc, Deleena24, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Yup, no doubt things move a faster when you get warmer.

I hate heating things, I'm just so lazy. I haven't incubated since the first few months I started, but once I got to the point where I wasnt in a rush for a stash, it seemed pointless. The jars I forgot about outside my incubator grew just as well, and seemed to contam slightly less, so I stopped. If I was in a hurry I'd do it, though.

I really like how dense colder grown mushies are, too. I'd also really like to know if that old rumor about colder growing temps equals more actives has any basis in reality. Probably not true, but one can hope. ;)

Edited by Deleena24, 14 March 2019 - 12:39 PM.

• mushit, PJammer24, Juthro and 1 other like this

#8 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

I really like how dense colder grown mushies are, too. I'd also really like to know if that old rumor about colder growing temps equals more actives has any basis in reality. Probably not true, but one can hope. ;)

Great tip on the density gain by a slower grow!

I hate thin, hollow stems that kill your weight on the grow.

It pays to slow them down.

Edited by roc, 14 March 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#9 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

OK so here we grow!

Safety first especially when using a 21 year old pressure cooker.

This jewel was one of the best investments I ever made and after years of prepping jars, canning fruit and veggies the only part to maintain is the small rubber blow off plug. The metal to metal seal is maintenance free but you don't want to mess around with not replacing a $5.00 piece of rubber to play it safe in case all else fails. One stoner moment and a distraction can let things spiral out of hand.

Safety first!

AA Safety.jpg

AA Safety Plug.jpg

I still like doing a 50/50 mix of WBS and Popcorn for spawn.
Two things I like is the mix doesn't stick together as bad as WBS alone and I like the gaps the large popcorn  kernels leave and the mycelium seems to like to grow in those spaces as well.

After a 24 hour soak to germinate those nasty endospores I like to simmer both separate to hydrate the grain.

A nice rinse and off to the jars they go.

50-50 mix.jpg

Load the jars, pressure cook @15 # for 75 minutes and let cool to the touch. Not cold but something you can handle with a towel or glove. Breaking up and shaking this mix is easy compared to clumps of WBS.

Let the jars cool over night, take a shower and knock them up naked! I knock them up on a clean breakfast table being quick with the foil on and off. I don't have a contamination problem with this no nonsense approach.

These jars have been in the closet on the top shelf that I house my printer, router, and NAS in so they generate a little extra heat to act like an incubator.

These are 13 days in and are ready to shake.

50-50 mix 13 days.jpg

Again the 50/50 mix makes this easy to do with the big kernels bouncing around against the WBS.

[Direct Link]

And now we wait for recovery.

#10 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,111 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

Let the jars cool over night, take a shower and knock them up naked!

That's a picture I do not want to see!! :tongue:

• roc likes this

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, can't skimp on rinsing with birdseed or end up with a starchy mess. And it won't rinse cold.

With birdseed, I've started adding it too boiling water, bring back to a boil, turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Then its time to rinse. Really hot tap water. 4 or 5 times, till the rinse water starts to clear. Then I bring to boil again, after the second round its usually good to go. Strain it steam it off spread it dry.

I do popcorn the same way, but it takes a longer boil time.

Sometimes I soak popcorn overnight for one of the following reasons

One I got busy with something else.
Or two I forgot about it.(alcohol or other substance was likely involved)

Soaking to germinate Endospores is just one of those things they say on the internet with no practical value. You're just as likely to have a higher endospore count at the end of the soak as you are a lower.

90 minutes should be the minimum time for sterilizing grains.

#12 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, can't skimp on rinsing with birdseed or end up with a starchy mess. And it won't rinse cold.

With birdseed, I've started adding it too boiling water, bring back to a boil, turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Then its time to rinse. Really hot tap water. 4 or 5 times, till the rinse water starts to clear. Then I bring to boil again, after the second round its usually good to go. Strain it steam it off spread it dry.

I do popcorn the same way, but it takes a longer boil time.

Sometimes I soak popcorn overnight for one of the following reasons

One I got busy with something else.
Or two I forgot about it.(alcohol or other substance was likely involved)

Soaking to germinate Endospores is just one of those things they say on the internet with no practical value. You're just as likely to have a higher endospore count at the end of the soak as you are a lower.

90 minutes should be the minimum time for sterilizing grains.

You know your birdseed well and yes that starchy sticky shit will get you every time.

I've only recently discovered that if I leave my birdseed in the big two handled pan I simmer and boil in that I can take it under hot water and fill the pot and then use a motion similar to panning gold and keep the seed moving with the hot water overflowing the edge. It does a wonderful job of removing all the hollow millet, trash, and sunflower seeds I didn't get off the top when I soaked it overnight.
I can tilt and tip off most of the hot water and then fill again and after 4-5 times the starch and scummy broken kernel centers are gone.

You just keep it moving like panning gold to get rid of the sand and you'll get clear water coming off of it.

The strainer is mainly used to capture and drain and I let it drip dry before using it.

I hear you on the endospore thing but I like the higher count so I can kill them in the pressure cooker. I let mine go until there is fermentation and it seems to open the grain to a better absorption rate. The yeast and fermentation seems to help with the starch problem as well.

WBS is not an easy path for a new person but it's damn cheap and available.

Everyone that reads this should heed you advice on 90 minutes for sterilizing grains.

I have an unorthodox method of ramping up to pressure and then coming down from 15psi to 12psi before a fast drop off on heat.

In the beginning I seemed to almost burn the grain but by not going all out to get to and usually exceed the 15 and the need to bring it down.

I know the cooktop I'm working with and right where to dial it in the get the 15psi and stay steady.

Birdseed can be a real challenge for the beginner as you well know.

It's kind of overrated for the beginner and why to this day I mix 50/50 with popcorn.

Thanks for your input! 

#13 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,050 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

I did one quick bird seed. Ended up a solid mass in the jar. After that I don't skimp the rinse.

Lol sounds like you're describing what I call the swirl. Lol. I do the same, the good seed settles quick, the trash stays in the swirl long enough to pour some out.

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,751 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

Awesome thread Roc. Although, I must admit your new avatar disturbs me lol.

I have so many projects going that I forget at least a third of them at any given moment. Could be why I overkill everything I do. The best advise I can give anyone is to keep it as simple as you possibly can. Do not overthink things. Remember, nature is not a constant. It is always in a state of flux. Mushrooms adapt to their environment and their sole purpose is to reproduce. In order to do that, they must adapt to fruit!

• roc, Deleena24 and Juthro like this

#15 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

I have so many projects going that I forget at least a third of them at any given moment. Could be why I overkill everything I do. The best advise I can give anyone is to keep it as simple as you possibly can. Do not overthink things. Remember, nature is not a constant. It is always in a state of flux. Mushrooms adapt to their environment and their sole purpose is to reproduce. In order to do that, they must adapt to fruit!

I don't know about the avatar either after sporting Tim for over 20 years.
It's kind of like I've lost my identity.
Maybe this will be short lived and I'll find something else.

Tim was kind of like my trademark.

Now I'm feeling kind of naked... hum now there's an idea.

Remember when we did Halloween avatars? I was always Devil Dick. I still have it somewhere.

• mushit, onediadem and Juthro like this

#16 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,751 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

Would that fall under "Roc out with your cock out? You know I adore you Roc..

• roc and LegoMyego like this

#17 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

Listening, listening.
Rinse rinse rinse, got it. 

Popcorn with the WBS, got it. Just went to the pantry and dumped all available Pcorn into a bowl to soak overnight  and cook tomorrow to add to the WBS tomorrow afternoon when the silicone sealer is fully cured and I can sterilize the grain (BB's exquisite lapidary/camp crafts jar lid design with the tyvek and the washers and the silicone ports was so much fun to make). 

Going to bed now, looking forward to tomorrow's 2quart-WBS-Pcorn-pressurecooker adventure. 

Thank you all. So far so fun. I really appreciate all the wisdom. 

• roc likes this

#18 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:22 AM

Mutual feelings my friend.

I remember when you first came on board and always did like you!  :hug:

Those were the pioneering days and we all had a lot of fun.

• onediadem likes this

#19 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

Tim Leary naked and tripping...
What do you think?

Roc Leary.jpg

• onediadem likes this

#20 roc

roc

• 7,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

I found my old Halloween Avatar!

Devil dick.jpg

• onediadem and peacefrog like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!