mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

Hahahaha!!!

You're not still playing with it , are you?  :tongue:

Edited by mushit, 15 March 2019 - 12:22 PM.

• onediadem and roc like this

#24 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

Hahahaha!!!

You're not still playing with it , are you?  :tongue:

We got over that stage a while back but then we went through the "thinking with the wrong head" stage. Trouble indeed!
Everything is cool these days. We only get out about once a week these days!
I still hear complaints every now and then about him only having one eye, has to hang around with two nuts, and living next door to an asshole! Some things never change.  :tongue:

• mushit, onediadem, SillyCone and 1 other like this

#25 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

I still like doing a 50/50 mix of WBS and Popcorn for spawn.

Two things I like is the mix doesn't stick together as bad as WBS alone and I like the gaps the large popcorn  kernels leave and the mycelium seems to like to grow in those spaces as well.

After a 24 hour soak to germinate those nasty endospores I like to simmer both separate to hydrate the grain.

A nice rinse and off to the jars they go.

My popcorn seed coats opened while I cooked them (not full explosion, just cracked the coat). Is that OK, or will that make the mix mushy?
I do plan to put 1/4 cup of coarse vermiculite in the bottom of each jar. 

#26 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

I still like doing a 50/50 mix of WBS and Popcorn for spawn.

Two things I like is the mix doesn't stick together as bad as WBS alone and I like the gaps the large popcorn  kernels leave and the mycelium seems to like to grow in those spaces as well.

After a 24 hour soak to germinate those nasty endospores I like to simmer both separate to hydrate the grain.

A nice rinse and off to the jars they go.

My popcorn seed coats opened while I cooked them (not full explosion, just cracked the coat). Is that OK, or will that make the mix mushy?
I do plan to put 1/4 cup of coarse vermiculite in the bottom of each jar. 

If they are mushy and cracked I probably pass on them because once they hit the PC they'll explode.

Since it's your first grow I'd hate to see you fail.

One thing to do with popcorn is as you cook / simmer it pull a kernel and test it by biting it. Once you can feel it getting soft them you are good to go.

Is all of the popcorn this away or just a few kernels? If it's only about 5 % of them then you can probably still use it.

• JanetPlanet likes this

#27 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

Is all of the popcorn this away or just a few kernels? If it's only about 5 % of them then you can probably still use it.

Oh hells bells, it's all of it! 
Thank you for saving me just in time!  :happy: 
I already mixed the Pcorn with WBS, but there's enough (I think) pure WBS left over to just barge ahead with that. It's only two quarts for a first attempt.
I'm hoping the vermiculite at the bottom will prevent any WBS disasters. 

I think I'll make another batch of spawn jars in a day or two just to hedge my bets. Do you recommend rye for that, or what? 

• onediadem and roc like this

#28 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

Janet, the PF tec is foolproof.  I would recommend this as a first time grower to get the feel of it.

Grains are more advanced.

Not saying that you shouldn't do grains first.  Just many more variables to think of, and ways to go wrong.

Of course, how is anyone going to learn if they don't make errors.  :smile:

• onediadem, roc and JanetPlanet like this

#29 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

Janet I know when you introduced yourself you mentioned you were starting with a bulk grow.

As mushit points out the PF Tek is a great way to get started.

What grain method were you following?

Grain is touchy and some Tek's are better than others.

Rye is easier to work with for some.

One other thought if you want a bulk grow is to do the PF Tek cakes and grate them up and use them for spawn.

Just a few thoughts to consider and please do share what grain method you are following.

We are here to help see you have success!

• mushit, peacefrog and JanetPlanet like this

#30 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

My recommendation, if you really do want to skip PF Tek, is to hit the vaults and use one of the older, proven Teks and follow it to a T.

Once you get one method down you can move on to another, and tweak it to your liking.

WBS Teks
https://mycotopia.ne...-birdseed-teks/

Popcorn Teks
https://mycotopia.net/forum/52-pop
  • mushit, onediadem, roc and 1 other like this

#31 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

I was a little bit surprised when I looked in the closet and saw the jars I gave an extreme shaking to a little less than 3 days ago.

I guess with the moisture content right and no starchy sticky clumping the shake got an even distribution to the uncolonized  grains.

Could not ask for better results for a multi spore inoculation from 2-28.

Looks like I need to go out and find some field cured horse shit sooner then I expected.

3 day recovery shake.jpg

Edited by roc, 16 March 2019 - 02:26 PM.

• mushit likes this

#32 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Over the years I've used everything from insulated coolers, heat bombs, temp gauges,and all kinds of gadgets.

I've learned that the upper shelf of a closet, cabinet, and other high shelves utilizing the 10 degree difference at ceiling level versus floor level.

Nice warm and cozy and cheap!

I inoculated on Saturday morning (naked! So I'm sure everything will be OK  :biggrin: ). At first I put the jars on top of the fridge in a cardboard box, covered with a dish towel. The house is cool right now (I live in the desert and right now the days are warm enough to turn the heat off and warm the house by opening all the windows, but the inside of the house is never warmer than 67F).

I moved them this morning to the top of a divider wall in the bathroom which is warmed by two big south facing windows and two people taking hot showers daily. It's about 9" up. 

My big question du jour is that cardboard box and dish towel for disguise or insulation? Or do the grain jars need to be dark?
Thank you Roc!

• roc likes this

#33 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:35 PM

Over the years I've used everything from insulated coolers, heat bombs, temp gauges,and all kinds of gadgets.

I've learned that the upper shelf of a closet, cabinet, and other high shelves utilizing the 10 degree difference at ceiling level versus floor level.

Nice warm and cozy and cheap!

I inoculated on Saturday morning (naked! So I'm sure everything will be OK  :biggrin: ). At first I put the jars on top of the fridge in a cardboard box, covered with a dish towel. The house is cool right now (I live in the desert and right now the days are warm enough to turn the heat off and warm the house by opening all the windows, but the inside of the house is never warmer than 67F).

I moved them this morning to the top of a divider wall in the bathroom which is warmed by two big south facing windows and two people taking hot showers daily. It's about 9" up. 

My big question du jour is that cardboard box and dish towel for disguise or insulation? Or do the grain jars need to be dark?
Thank you Roc!

I used to be a big believer in keeping jars in the dark but have learned that a little light isn't a problem.
Once I spawn to trays they are covered by foil or a lid and they seem to take off better in the dark.
Once the lid or foil comes off the get light and air and pinning is not far behind.

I'm a big believer in naked being fresh and clean without a bunch of foreign mold spores and shit when handling sterile jars and injections of sterile matter.
That box and towel isn't a bad idea to keep things warm and comfy! 

• RutgerHauer and JanetPlanet like this

#34 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

I also like to keep my jars in the dark for colonization. Putting them in a box also helps me not constantly taking a peek.
  • JanetPlanet likes this

#35 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

This is all speculation, but I think that keeping jars in the dark was mostly for PF Tek users. I think this because the only problem with light at all stages is that they may start to pin before they're finished colonizing the cakes, which most people hate.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#36 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

My thought is that mycelium lives underground and that it won't hurt to emulate the natural conditions in that sense. Also, I can believe light is beneficial at all stages.

#37 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,265 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Dark during colonization doesn't seem to matter either way for cubes.
  • onediadem, roc and RutgerHauer like this

#38 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

In a natural setting such as a pile of elephant shit, horse shit, or cow shit the pile colonizes just fine above the ground.

Conditions such as a rain, temp, light, and air trigger the little buggers to poke their head out of the shit.

Grain loving cubes will basically do the same thing with very little light and seem to do better invitro than dung lovers.

Go figure...

I'm not very experienced with wood lovers but I think they prefer the underground setting better than cubes.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#39 roc

roc

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

Same shit different day.

Bag of horse shit - Edited.jpg

Headed to 160-170 degrees for an hour+

Pastuerize.jpg

Spawned to straight shit.

Spawned.jpg

Hello darkness my old friend.

Darkness.jpg

I'm only doing one tray today and holding on the other two jars of spawn.

This bag of shit is not as dry as I prefer so I leeched it during pasteurization for an hour and then drained the water and went with a second round of fresh water at 150 degrees.

Gut feel is it may be too green but it's grass fed horses so I'll give it a try and see what happens.

It almost appeared like a 50/50 shit/straw mix but it's all shit.

If it doesn't take off I'll do the other jars with some other substrate.

Time tells all.

Edited by roc, 21 March 2019 - 10:55 AM.

• mushit likes this

#40 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

Gotta love da shit!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!