• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Well it's been a couple of days since I tucked this one away and I'm still holding on spawning the other two quarts to this straight shit.

I was concerned that it was a little on the green side and was surprised when I opened it up this afternoon.

The spawn has taken off well due to the moisture but it is not eating into this shit like it did previously with those old well aged gold nuggets.

It's starting to encompass some of the shit and running into some of the really loose shit.

Everything still smells good so I'll sleep on it another night.

I could do the next tray with say 50/50 shit and verm to fluff things up a little thinking it may run better.

I'll probably play it safe on the 3rd quart and just do a 50/50 mix of spawn and verm to get a flush for prints and munchies.

What are your thoughts on these pictures?

If it does take it'll have a whole lot of nutrition to feed on.

Green shit 1.jpg

green shit 2.jpg

#42 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Looking great to me. I am hoping the pink tint is just lighting issues?

#43 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

Looking great to me. I am hoping the pink tint is just lighting issues?

Yea the light is just from the sun setting and reflection.

I usually see the rhizo rip right through that shit.

I'm going to run with this and keep an eye on it but there is no doubt this shit is a little on the green side.

Nice rhizo growth off that wbs/pc mix for sure.

#44 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

To case or not to case?
That is the question.

This is the straight shit that I was concerned was a little on the green side but I'm seeing a nice even pin set in the future.

Case or not to case.jpg

• onediadem, Deleena24 and Bobotrank like this

#45 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Flashback Friday

Gathering Cow shit back in the day... nice and dry!
I actually lived in KS as a child and know this area well, including a couple of the remains of a Sod House which the early Pioneers lived in.

chips.jpg

As Women’s History Month draws to a close, we honor the most recognized Kearny County woman in history: Ada McColl, the Cow Chip Lady. The photograph of Ada McColl pushing a wheelbarrow full of cow chips is well known in historical circles, appearing in a number of publications including the cover of Joanna L. Stratton’s book, “Pioneer Women.” But Ada hadn’t intended to become perhaps the most well-known female pioneer model; her love was photography.

Ada served as an apprentice to H.L. Wolf who operated a photography shop in Garden City, and Wolf gave Ada a few pointers on how to use the Rochester Optical Company camera her parents gave her. She went on to create family portraits and document the Kansas prairie, keeping records of photography expenses and numbering/naming all of her photographs. The cow chip photograph was taken in 1893 when Ada and Polly McColl, her mother, were collecting chips for fuel near their Lakin, Kansas home. The two women took turns posing and taking the picture. McColl entitled it, “36 Independence on the Plains. Gathering Chips.”

Mr. Wolf processed the photographs in his studio and may have received credit for some of Ada’s work as dozens of copies of the “Cow Chip Lady” were printed in the 1890s. Ada moved to Iowa and married in 1895, leaving her negatives and photograph collection behind with Wolf. In a letter dated March 30, 1895, he told Ada that he would send them to her at any time should she want them. Apparently, she never asked him to send them to her. Wolf later sold out, and left Ada’s plates in the studio.

The identity of the Cow Chip Lady remained unknown for nearly 100 years until Ada’s great-granddaughter, Rochelle Danner, presented several pieces of evidence to the Kansas State Historical Society in 1984. Erma Pryor, Ada’s daughter and mother of Rochelle Danner, wrote:
“I asked my mother (Ada) why she had her mouth open in that picture of her and the wheelbarrow full of cow chips and she said she was telling her mother how to take the picture...”

Edited by roc, 29 March 2019 - 07:07 PM.

• onediadem, jkdeth, Wimzers and 1 other like this

#46 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

Cool story, roc!
  • roc likes this

#47 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

Update

Early on I was afraid the horse shit was a little on the green side and I didn't want to waste all my spawn so I only did one tray.

To my surprise it took off really well as you can see in pictures earlier in the thread.

I usually case with straight vermiculite but thought what the hell I'm not casing on this one.

I also saw the popularity of the shoe boxes being used and they allowed me to double the thickness of my substrate and see many that argue it's better so again tried it out.

Strain is Ecuador and it's a multi-spore grow.

Str8shit1.jpg

str8shit2.jpg

str8shit3.jpg

str8shit tray harvest.jpg

Edited by roc, 07 April 2019 - 01:47 PM.

• coorsmikey, Cuboid, Bobotrank and 2 others like this

#48 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

After seeing that the horse shit was going to be fine I decided to move ahead with the next two quarts of spawn.

I've always did  straight shit but had some really fine vermiculite so I mixed 60 / 40 horse shit / vermiculite just for kicks.

I see a lot of people mixing 3-4 things in their substrate like shit, coir, verm, gypsum, straw, whatever and never did anything but straight shit.

I didn't have any course vermiculite to case with so I thought what the hell I'll try the bagged seed starter which is mainly peat.

Old dogs can learn new tricks so we see how this goes.

The grow chamber is empty after the first flush and the 2 cased trays came out of the dark and into the light while the first tray recovers in the dark.

cased shit1.jpg

casedshit2.jpg

cased shit3.jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#49 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Beautiful fruits ^^^^^^
  • roc likes this

#50 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

I discovered that with no casing it was much easier to clean their little butts off.

Just a small amount to scrape off after leaving them for a couple of hours.

No patching before the next run.

Big advantage over straight vermiculite will be no sparkles in your shit if you missed a little or crunch going down the hatch.  :biggrin:

• coorsmikey likes this

#51 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

OK so these two trays were 60/40 horse shit/fine verm and they were cased.

The pinset was much better than the first tray of straight horse shit with no casing.

Very disappointed to have one tray contaminate on the first flush!

Contam1.jpg

Contam 2.jpg

Very disappointed in the size of these EQ's and have never had such tiny fruits.

Even with MS I used a seperate quart of spawn for each tray and had no variation in size.

I went with a thicker substrate thinking it would benefit in better fruit but again I have never had EQ's so tiny!

EQ 1st flush.jpg

Even though we have dipped down in the 30's the contaminated tray goes under the deck tomorrow and we'll let mother nature deal with it in hopes of another flush.

I'm guessing the contamination was from the casing preparation.

End of bitch rant!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#52 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

I recognize that contamination, had it too on my casing and used vermiculite. If it is the same it would have changed color later on.. What did you case with? Same as your substrate?

Small, but I think that is what you get with bigger pin sets, I figure the energy gets diluted so to speak.. they look good nonetheless!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 April 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#53 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

I recognize that contamination, had it too on my casing and used vermiculite. If it is the same it would have changed color later on.. What did you case with? Same as your substrate?

Small, but I think that is what you get with bigger pin sets, I figure the energy gets diluted so to speak.. they look good nonetheless!

The contamination is fast moving and appeared out of nowhere.

It is white and fluffy at first but I can see a hint of green as it gets denser.
I cased with a seed starter which is mainly peat with a few other things.

Nice and fluffy casing and I would have thought it would be a protective barrier as well since there are not many nutrients in it.

I thought maybe I didn't pasteurize it well but the other tray is clear so far.

Yea it's a very nice pinset but damn picking and wiping all those little butts is time consuming.

Man I have always gotten EQ's almost twice the size but the genetics must come into play on these.

They do look good!

Thanks for the comment!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#54 roc

roc

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Held the funeral this morning under the back deck.

The graveyard.

Graveyard.jpg

With a little Voodoo from Mother Nature will might see the dead rise.

• mad420pumpkinz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!