• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

I got burned ordering spores from an unscrupulous online retailer (is that a rite of passage?  :tongue: ) so although I was all ready to follow a tek on the forum site that the retailer "sponsors", now I'm skeptical about everything on that site and am starting all over with studying growing here.

I have all the stuff pretty much ready, a pressure cooker, syringes of Golden Teacher and B+ syringes that actually arrived in the mail thanks to a trustworthy online seller, and am excited about getting started.

I was hoping to pressure cook my jars today and inoculate my WBS spawn tomorrow but reading here https://mycotopia.ne...bulk-substrate/ (thank you!) I realize I need to remake my jar lids with a tyvek air access.  The site I was on before didn't mention that my spawn jar lids needed a bit of air access, just a self healing injection port. 

I plan to use WBS to grow spawn, and then either dub tubs or a big tub to grow. Is a big clear storage tub also called a terrarium? 
Any words of wisdom for this noobie?

• mushit and RutgerHauer like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

Yes yes yes! Seems like you are on it and giving yourself the best advise you can ask for. Welcome.

A little air exchange while colonizing the jars is important, though not too much is needed.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 14 March 2019 - 06:34 PM.

• JanetPlanet likes this

#3 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia.

You have entered the other realm.

A terrarium is usually a glass vessel.  Like an aquarium but for plants and animals.  Also for shrooms.

Dub Tubs Single tubs or terrariums will work just fine. 

Edited by mushit, 14 March 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Welcome!

Love the name :)

#5 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

You found the right place... soon you will be ordering agar  :blush:

Edited by WolfWhiz, 14 March 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#6 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

Any words of wisdom for this noobie?

Ya, save lots of money this hobby adds up lol!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Welcome to 'topia!

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:22 PM

Best advice is have fun with it.

A suggestion is go with multiple smaller tubs rather than one big mono for this first effort.

Dub tubs are typically are six quart shoeboxes. You'll want 2 to 3 quarts of spawn and similar amount of substrate for each.

Smaller tubs are also acceptable.

You don't need a terrarium or fruiting chamber for Dub tubs.

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

All my hopes. I am glad you got a PC. That will be your most valuable piece of equipment. Birdseed is a bit touchy though, but if you follow my fellow topiates advise, you should be golden!

I gotta give you mad props for jumping right into grains and subs.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

Yeah we just talked some difficulties with birdseed. Mainly rinse and rinse and rinse! The biggest issue with birdseed is it gets real starchy. I assume you already gave tek you plan to follow. Please share that?

#11 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

Thank you everybody!
Fortunately my city has a lot of great Asian grocery stores, so my next step might be agar. 

#12 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

Yeah we just talked some difficulties with birdseed. Mainly rinse and rinse and rinse! The biggest issue with birdseed is it gets real starchy. I assume you already gave tek you plan to follow. Please share that?

The tek I was going to use is this one: https://www.shroomol...d-fan-bulk-tek/

Now I'm jumping around on this site, learning what I can from all the nooks and crannies and putting the pieces together. 

This evening I will be putting two quarts of grain in the PC to sterilize. Using 50% simmered popcorn and 50% WBS that I steeped for 90 minutes, left in the fridge for 24 hours, reboiled for a minute and drained well. I will rinse everything like crazy! The WBS was in the fridge because I started to prep it when I found that I had gotten poor advice on the jar lids from the tek above and remade jar lids using BB's wonderful instructions here: https://mycotopia.ne...lk-substrate/  

Tomorrow morning I'll open the PC and inoculate. 

I figure once the jars are set to rest on top of the fridge I will research (on this site) what comes next and prepare materials and my head so I'll be ready. 

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

WELCOME  !

GOOD LUCK

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!