Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Stumbled across something working with Agar and florescent dye.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:50 PM

I was lucky enough to get some ARX from a great guy  <eg> and I started my agar adventures. I read that some were using food dye and it was 2 am in the morning and no food dye in my house... so I grabbed some non-toxic fluorescent dye that I had a few drops in the bottle left. When looking at the Petri dish it was barely visible, but obviously mushrooms uptake the dye and mold and other contaminants don't.

Look at the photos below under a black lit black light. 

The mycelium are glowing more than the agar with color not just white and the contam is dark, actually I can see that I can try to cut it out and save the other spore starts.

If this is old info I apologize... 

WW

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG
  • 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

Edited by WolfWhiz, 14 March 2019 - 09:51 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

That's pretty cool. I have added non toxic, water soluble, neon, yellow highlighter marker ink to agar, but never thought to look at it under a blacklight, from your pics it looks like it is very effective for highlighting contams. Seems like a great tool for this hobby.

Edited by Billcoz, 15 March 2019 - 04:00 AM.

• WolfWhiz likes this

#3 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:12 AM

And its cheap lol!

#4 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

I think it would look the same under a blacklight without the dye. Lots of biological stuff luminesces under blacklight.

#5 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

I think it would look the same under a blacklight without the dye. Lots of biological stuff luminesces under blacklight.

Well I started a clear agar set last night. But when I shine my blacklight on the mycelium cake, or a super small pin under light on same agar dish it doesn't appear yellow/orange ( I am color blind in a few spectrum's) to it is white. 

Will have some photos later when I have time.

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

I came to think of something yesterday - I have this A3 paper sized led light pad to trace drawings: it would work great as light to put on a tub, but I was thinking - would a light source on your table be useful when inspecting agar dishes or maybe as light source for incubating agar dishes? You could just as easily hold them up to the light I suppose to inspect, and extra light is unnecessary for agar I reckon.. just spitballing about what other uses there are for these things..
  • WolfWhiz likes this

#7 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:47 PM

I came to think of something yesterday - I have this A3 paper sized led light pad to trace drawings: it would work great as light to put on a tub, but I was thinking - would a light source on your table be useful when inspecting agar dishes or maybe as light source for incubating agar dishes? You could just as easily hold them up to the light I suppose to inspect, and extra light is unnecessary for agar I reckon.. just spitballing about what other uses there are for these things..

That would be killer for photos and looking at dishes if I had one. But I would not go out and spend a $100 on one... I was really happen it seems to show the outlying areas of contam. 

• RutgerHauer likes this

#8 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:59 AM

I think you can get them things from China for 10 to 20 bucks.. Maybe not worth it for this purpose alone, but will definitely try things out when I get to it since I have one anyway.
  • WolfWhiz likes this

#9 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:02 AM

I lay my phone on the top of my SAB with the flashlight shining down so I can see while doing agar work or whatever, it's necessary.

Edited by Billcoz, 16 March 2019 - 06:03 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!