#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,800 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

I got the dehydrated apples today and plugged them into a gallon. This sounds promising :)

Did you use the same kind of apples that you made the cider with?

#22 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

Did not, they were not available - I know it's a crapshoot but how far can I go wrong?

Learned something already - dehydrated apples expand when rehydrated ........DOH!

The jug  is getting very crowded and the expansion seems to have just gotten started. may be having to take some liquid out to accomodate the swelling

AND

Next time I'll find a wide mouth jug of some kind to do this infusing - it's going to be a bitch to get the rehydrated apples out of the small neck/mouth of the jug

Now, what to do with those alcohol infused apple scraps?

If this seems promising I'll buy the mix  of, or one of the mix, of apples from the farmer next fall and dehydrate them here at the house. I guess the final product could be quite different depending on which type of apple I used to infuse. Tart or sweet might make a very big difference.

The ones I bought were pricey and "cracker dry". don't know if that's good or bad but right now it seems that dehydrating them to near-dry might make it easier later to infuse the hard cider

Dreaming Raven mentioned several posts ago that fresh apple fermentations have some off odors and tastes that mellow with time. I'll second that now, having opened all the remaining jugs and done small samples of each. most definitely mellowing but still needs the apple flavor bumped up to suit my palate.

Next step - getting a carbonation system. given the time and logistics of fermenting in the bottle I think I'll just eat the cost and carbonate in a keg and keep that in the refrigerator in the garage.

Edited by pharmer, 13 May 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,800 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

Yea I was wondering because we dehydrate a lot of apples here.  I look for apples in the quick sale/reduced price section of the produce department, and get them cheap.  I core 'em, slice 'em, dehydrate 'em, and then use 'em for rabbit treats, and people snacks.   

I know from my sampling that there is a lot of difference in flavor between a dried red and delicious, and a granny smith.

I look forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!