• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

Maybe the collective mind here can discern the key. Has anybody and I mean anybody fruited P.Cyan. "strictly indoors"? I'm not talking trays partially outdoors. I've read waylitjims stuff, it was great yet he succumbed to the great outdoors for help. I've 10 lb's of bomb proof, super colonized, rock hard alder substrate that kills other predator contaminates on sight. Lighting hrs per day to trigger primoria check. 99% humidity check. Butt loads of fresh air and huge electric bill, check. There has got to be a sequence to these growth parameters or a mineral element. I've inoculated the entire neighborhood and I am on my last 2 bags. Sure things will be great come october, november, but what about now?? Any input or links would be appreciated.

#2 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

I forgot temperature, dropped from 68 f. to 52 f. after colonization, check. Played with inert casing for micro climate. Oh, besides many many observations, egg crates (pressed wood pulp) is a great selective substance! it also changes color to indicate moisture levels. All my outdoor beds started this way. The egg contours lend themselves to pockets of strong mycelium colonies, micro climates, moisture retention etc. Never had to sterilize, as the mycelium loves it and contams. hate it.

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

Hyphaenation fruited Psilocybe cyanescens from a flower pot on his back porch/ sunroom.

You'll need the wild temperature fluctuations - like occurs outdoors - to induce fruiting. 

• levicah likes this

#4 levicah

levicah

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:31 PM

Well, I've tried. Humidity and temperatures for fall and pre spring parallel each other here. As the days grow longer I have compensated by covering the substrate to mimic the days growing shorter. Rain and temps are optimum. I have concluded that fruiting colonized P. Cyans has more to do with "partitioning" or isolating small clusters of mycelial mass instead of letting everything grow as one colony. In it's outdoor cycle, it truly takes all four seasons for P. Cyans to run out of food. Domestic Cultivation is all about establishing "full colonization" as with most species grown. I have picked so many of these and it dawns on me that most of the time the fruit is growing out of ONE woodchip or ONE piece of branch buried just under the soil. In beach dunes, there was never a healthy intersecting growth between the scattered pieces of wood as with a tray or grow bag. Does this make sense to anyone? So, once again, I have relegated my hard work to outdoor chip beds and the long wait for next fall. This species takes long...period. I've not read or seen anything to the contrary. The most successful grow in the archives put the trays outside eventually and colonized layers in succession over many months. So! Next time parameters are perfect I will attempt to fruit on small isolated pieces of wood instead of a bulk body of mycelium in sawdust and chips. They love fresh non sterilized alder chips...but it just keeps running and growing and intersecting...slow eater but a fast runner...it aint "colonized until Mr P Cyan says it's colonized" is the message I think. Thinking out loud, I've done my due diligence. My premise would explain how Mr Stamets fruited a petri dish indoors...small and isolated. Back to der drawing board.

For the record, I've seen stands of these, hundreds and hundreds "seemingly" growing together, yet when picked, each are clinging to their own little piece of wood...could this be my ah hah moment?

Edited by levicah, 07 April 2019 - 11:39 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!