#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,924 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

Yeah both my trucks have Wifi too unless Im somewhere with no cell service. Its helpful on long trips but all our phones and tablets can be Hotspots too. So I guess I probably paid extra for something I don't need. If uncle sam wanted to give me internet service that would be cool. I might be more inclined to find the device/s that connect to the hotspot or give it to someone else that would want free internet in their vehicle if I were concerned about my whereabouts being tracked, But that would help me much neither if I didn't give up my phones too.

If you are sure that it was put there by the gubbermint, don't destroy or trash it. I can tell from experience they will bill you later for it if you do.

Edited by coorsmikey, 19 March 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,356 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

What's the scoop on the vehicle?

How long have you owned it?

Not uncommon these days and could have been there for a while.

A hot spot is the the last thing you'd find to be tracked.

Lot simpler GPS tracker type device would be more like a plant.

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 roc

roc

• 7,356 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

Another thought... If that hot spot was active every phone that got in the vehicle could "see" and offer to connect to it.

Something is missing here???

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,924 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. 
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. 
It is the middle ground between light and shadow, 
between science and superstition, 
and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. 
This is the dimension of imagination. 
It is an area which we call . . . the Twilight Zone.

• roc likes this

#6 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

These things are awful, some worse than others.

https://resources.se..._001_453877.pdf

tl:dr: It's a GPS/cellular modem/ODB-II reader/WiFi hot spot.  As far as the authors of this paper found, your Verizon Delphi Connect can't be used to do anything terribly nefarious.  But like any WiFi radio, it's broadcasting a unique id that could potentially be used to track you.

• roc likes this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

Wrap it in aluminum foil if you're genuinely concerned about wifi signals being sent/received from your vehicle. Couldn't hurt. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

Would one have to ground the aluminum foil?

• coorsmikey likes this

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

Good question. 

Does a Faraday cage need to be bonded to earth to be effective? 

I thought is was a phenomenon based upon repelling free-radiating energy. Like an electro-magnetic reaction to electro-static (radio wave) motion. 

Unless I'm mistaken, this fun article lends some clarification:

https://backyardbrai...riments/faraday

Looks like the math supports my hypothesis. The "cage" need not be bonded. 

Upon further investigation, it appears as though I am wrong in my assumption. This article serves to clarify:

http://www.futuresci...-grounding.html

Faraday cages with conductors penetrating the sides MUST be bonded or "grounded". 

Edited by Myc, 20 March 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#10 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

An aluminum foil wrap will likely attenuate a GHz band signal enough to render a device useless whether grounded or not, as it approximately looks like a closed surface to outward-bound electromagnetic radiation. This is easy to test - wrap your home router in foil and see if you can still connect :tinfoil:.

However, the cell antenna may not be in the device itself, in which case a foil shield will do nothing.

I am guessing this is for verizon's "connected car" service, which apparently comes built in to some models of cars and trucks. Although it could probably be used for tracking purposes, there are easier and more discrete ways to do that.

You might want to crop the photos to remove serial #s.

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

With a foil wrap, in the GHz range, it could be that small bends and crinkles in the foil could find a resonance and act as antenna elements and re-radiate a signal.  But I don't know for sure.  I do know that they ground the engine bonnet (hood) on cars to keep the spark plug signal from jamming the car radio.  When there is no ground strap of copper braid between hood and body, and the hinge pins rusts and make an open circuit between the hood and the body/frame, an AM radio is totally jammed out by the spark noise.  I have witnessed this situation.

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,054 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

A lot of these or similar are being installed as GPS tracking devices from car dealers. My van has one. If I disabled it, they'd make me fix it. Should I stop making payments, its used to send the the repo man.

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

My Subaru has a similar system called 'Starlink', its like their version of Onstar.  It can identify if you've been in an accident, and the car navigation system lets them know where to send the responders to. 

They can also remotely activate locks, lights, and horn,  and they have the ability to remotely diagnose and/or disable the vehicle in case of theft, or if they want to repo it.

I don't pay for the service, but I'm sure it's still all hooked up if they wanted to activate it from their end.

Edited by Juthro, 20 March 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

I hope my 21 year old car keeps running (and they don't outlaw it).

• roc likes this

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,054 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

Tell me about it. They got me with the easy credit and we needed reliable transportation without delay. I actually hope to get my hands on anything 70s or earlier.

#16 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

the  hotspot is a surprise from my womans friends daughter inlaw. she got upset when confronted  said never call her again. 
I have not read most of this i am lucky to get on and post what i can  being hacked attacked. I have gone to linux  for os using a raspberry pi  to get online.

i was listed as a person of interest last year and  1 warrant served  then 2 more warrants about 10 -14 days later. I looked my self up online and there is a acrymyn EDMS best i can tell things are sealed and found cybersecurity was interested in me. I'm nothing barely use a computer or anything else. been harrassed like gangstalking street theatre psych-ops. got lots of pictures and other evidence but i need to be secure to post.

I have found out just how much can be hacked like digital cameras new tv's 

i am not involved in anything never have been. back when i can

#17 roc

roc

• 7,356 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

the  hotspot is a surprise from my womans friends daughter inlaw. she got upset when confronted  said never call her again. 
I have not read most of this i am lucky to get on and post what i can  being hacked attacked. I have gone to linux  for os using a raspberry pi  to get online.

i was listed as a person of interest last year and  1 warrant served  then 2 more warrants about 10 -14 days later. I looked my self up online and there is a acrymyn EDMS best i can tell things are sealed and found cybersecurity was interested in me. I'm nothing barely use a computer or anything else. been harrassed like gangstalking street theatre psych-ops. got lots of pictures and other evidence but i need to be secure to post.

I have found out just how much can be hacked like digital cameras new tv's 

i am not involved in anything never have been. back when i can

Use Proton VPN to protect the connection provided by your ISP so they can't see what you do. The setup on Linux is a little tougher than Android or Windows. No cost and no games protected by Swiss Privacy laws.

Be safe and thanks for the update.

Edited by roc, 22 March 2019 - 05:16 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#18 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

Beat it with a large hammer or just cut the power if your not using it... probably has a stand alone fuse some where.

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

Is this vehicle your property? If so, then fuck anyone who violated your property.

If I find one, it's smashed. Immediatly. If they ask, "I don't know what your talking about."

Just make sure it's not one of those HUM safety devices that Verizon has. Those call 911 if an accident with airbag deployment occurs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!