#1 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:07 AM

A good friend of mine just suffered a very bad car accident.  He fell asleep on his hour and a half commute home from work, and rolled his car across the highway. 

He suffered some pretty bad wounds to his legs and feet, and has been in the trauma ward for 6 days now.   The cost for his stay in the trauma ward is just a little over 18K a night, yea that no bull, eighteen thousand dollars a fucking night just for the room. Meds and care cost extra.

His stay is going to end totaling well over 100K, not counting the surgerys he needed to put his ankle back together.  And that is only because he refused the ambulance, and made his wife come pick him up off the side of the road and take him to the university hospital, or else he would owe another 20K in transportation bills.

Anyone want to ask me my opinion of our health care system?

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I just hate seeing good people getting screwed by the system, after they have clearly paid their dues.

All good vibes would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• Coopdog, SteampunkScientist, tenkam and 4 others like this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:21 AM

You got it brother, but I don't reckon good vibes is going to overcome all of that. The health care system is why my Dad is dead right now, he bucked the system and didn't make it for 3 weeks after his meds ran out. It's enough to make you crazy if you think on it too much. Love ya brother, and you got prayers and positive intent coming from this direction.

Our health care system is a nightmare right now man. I really don't know how it is every going to change, as they have a strangle hold on the whole system and pay much money to keep it that way. That is why Kratom is under fire because it is taking pennies from their fucking pockets and actually helping people. I hope it all works out man and that somehow the tab can be picked up by some sort of agency out there. SMH man, because I know how that goes. 

Prayers and positive healing intent coming your way man. It's a full moon night, so maybe that will add some weight to those prayers brother. 

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,936 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:20 AM

That's one hard dude to wait for his wife and forego the meds the ambulance would undoubtedly have delivered.

My equivalent of prayer is pointed in his direction.

Maybe a go-fund-me page?

• Juthro likes this

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

Sorry to hear this and I'll keep your friend in thoughts and hope he recovers soon.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,662 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

That's the day to day reality here in the best country on Earth.   God forbid we socialize health care for anyone not in the government.

• Juthro likes this

#6 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

Oh man, my sympathies go out to all involved.  Glad to hear your friend is still with us, wishing him the speediest and most comfortable recovery with as little hardship as possible. 

• Juthro likes this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, and well wishes.  I like the go fund me idea, thank you Pharmer.

I got to talk to my friend last night on the phone between doses of meds. And it looks a like he is going to have to spend a few more days at least in the trauma ward.  They are worried about the damage to his ankle, and that the wound is severe enough that if it gets infected they would most likely have to amputate his foot.  Thats some scary shit.

They said even when he goes home he will have to use a wound vacc  ($5K/month rental) for about 4 weeks to keep it draining properly, and to help reduce the chance of infection.

I truly think that health care should be a right, and not a privilege.  I don't know what to do to help make it better, as well wishes, and a care package of smoked cheese and fish aren't going to fix this. 

These are good, hard working people, who had their house foreclosed on during the housing market crash.  But they pulled themselves up, and got into another modest farm.  Now they are being put into a situation that a no fault accident might make them have to file for bankruptcy,  and they are at risk of losing this place as well.

This whole incident leaves me feeling very defeated, and depressed.

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,875 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Sending golden light my friend.

• Juthro likes this

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

Holy shit, Juthro!!

I am so sorry to hear this.

When the health care is run for profit, it is the good people who pay.

I hope everything works out well for him.

I am sending healing vibes to your friend and to you as well.

Keep your head up. :hug:

• Juthro and Beautifulsenga like this

#10 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

Jesus. My sympathies are with your friend.
My mother in law was paying 16k a night for her non emergency hospital stay, outside of meds and treatment. It's fucking outrageous. Luckily she had good insurance. I remember thinking at the time that I'd be inclined to check into a super expensive Caribbean resort and just die in luxury if I had to pay for it myself. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
The system in the US is fucked. And the whole zero statutory meternity leave thing is bananas too.
  • roc, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Juthro, if a go fund me goes up, please pm me. I dont have much, but I would like to donate. All my hopes.

• mushit, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

A big thank you to all you kind folks, your support is much appreciated.

#13 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 879 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:39 PM

It pays to be poor, in a false sense. My dad lives off of 8k a year from social security and makes an odd buck or two from other means. When his heart valve failed he stayed in the hospital for weeks. Things went awry, grapefruit-sized balls and a nice wound to bleed them. He spent a few more weeks at home, occasionally passing out and falling from dehydration. And he had me dress the wound on his penis. In the end, he found his way back to the hospital and had his heart-valve successfully replaced. 

Monetary problems are problems because there's money to begin with. In a way, there are certain things very right about healthcare. A poor dying man was saved, my dad. He didn't have a bill to pay because it'd be like robbing a homeless man of his quarter. And I really admire my dad for a lot of reasons, poor doesn't mean anything to me. 

I wish your friend the best recovery. If they come to rob him... he's still alive. Rob me! Take it all. He'd not have lost anything that is really his!

Edited by Guy1298, 21 March 2019 - 11:44 PM.

• Coopdog, Juthro, DanceOfBliss and 1 other like this

#14 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:46 AM

Juthro PM me as well if you do a go fund me. 

Guy 1298, man you have grown as a human being a lot in the last few years, and everything you said is as right as rain to me. Well spoken my friend. 

• Juthro and tenkam like this

#15 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:35 PM

You guys are all great, thank you again.

Guy, that was very nicely said. To be honest, my friend seems to be handling this better then I am, lol.  His philosophy so far has been  very much in line with what you said.   I don't know why it bothers me to level it does, maybe its just my own insecurity about the world I live.  Anyway nicely said, and thank you.

A really big thank you Coop, and One for asking about the Go fund me thing.  I'll have to get my wife, or someone else who is smarter than me, to help me set that up, but we are going to look into it this weekend when we have more time.

• mushit, onediadem and Guy1298 like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

So here is an update, I still haven't got the go fund me thing going yet. I am going to try again this weekend.  We were able to get enough cash together to make sure his farm animals had feed, and that his mortgage was paid up, so that gives us some breathing room. (You know who you are, thank you)

My buddy is still in the hospital, and is not doing as well as we would like.  He has developed a mrsa infection in his ankle bone.  There have been 3 or 4 more surgerys to clean out the wound, and they have attempted to graft a flap of skin over the ankle to help keep it clean.  They are giving him some uber strong IV antibiotics that are working against the mrsa, but seem to be almost as toxic to him as the infection.  If this round of treatment doesn't clean up the infection they will have to amputate his foot to keep it from spreading.

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

MRSA is a pretty nasty bug, and highly infectious. Almost plague-like. There was a tattoo guy staying with my sister, and he ended up spreading that crap. At least 5 people in my family had been infected with it, one of them being my daughter and I wouldn't let them in my house or ten feet close until I knew it was gone. I hope your friend recovers without the amputation. Keep us updated about the gofundme and how he is.

• Juthro likes this

#18 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to hear this news!
It is tough to overcome but today's antibiotics should be better than what they used to have.

I hope he doesn't have to have an amputation and beats this shit.

• Juthro likes this

#19 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

Have to love the American dream on health care..
I am sorry to hear about your friend!!
No one should deal with such dilemmas in life..
Maybe start up a go fund me for your friend?
May not cover everything, but im sure a few of us would help out:)

Il send out some good vibes threw tonights tripp:)
  • Juthro likes this

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,653 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

So for those that are curious about the go fund me for my friend, I think my wife and I were able to come up with a picture (believe it or not I had a hard time finding one, I generally don't take pics of people), and a written passage for the site that should work.  We just want to run it by my friends wife for approval before we finish setting it up.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks again to everyone for all the good vibes, and the kind words.  

• onediadem and Skywatcher like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!