6 replies to this topic

#1 Riconcarde

Riconcarde

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

Hi all,

So I live in Mexico where we don't have access to spore syringes. I am about to dive into growing mushrooms indoors so I guess my first doubt is how easy it is to find some shrooms in nature and star cultivating from them in my house? How easy or complicated is that? Is it way easier using syringes?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

Get someone to send you a spore print. Start with the BF tek.  Finding in nature is not that easy. 

where are you in Mexico. The rain season is the time to look.

• Riconcarde likes this

#3 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:46 PM

Actually you do there are 5 or so Mexican sellers of Spores, kits and just about any cacti you would want...

http://www.mexicotri...e-del-pacifico/

Edited by WolfWhiz, 23 March 2019 - 11:55 PM.

• Riconcarde likes this

#4 Riconcarde

Riconcarde

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Actually you do there are 5 or so Mexican sellers of Spores, kits and just about any cacti you would want...

http://www.mexicotri...e-del-pacifico/

Thanks so much! Could you message me some links? cheers

#5 Athanasius

Athanasius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:49 PM

Growing from wild shrooms is dramatically different, you just have to take your own print.  You can even isolate strains without too much difficulty but it does require some petri dishes, agar, a glove box or flow hood, and some basic understanding about mushroom life cycle.  You just don't have to isolate strains to get shrooms though.  If you read Stamets books you get a great picture of the "proper scientific approach" to shroom strains.  But really nature will grow the shrooms if you just use one of the basic spore teks found here. 

#6 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

Hi all,

So I live in Mexico where we don't have access to spore syringes. I am about to dive into growing mushrooms indoors so I guess my first doubt is how easy it is to find some shrooms in nature and star cultivating from them in my house? How easy or complicated is that? Is it way easier using syringes?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

You have more balls than I do to be considering a grow of wild shrooms... I'm not confident enough in my identification, and some species can mess you up in a bad way.

#7 GaetanoZ

GaetanoZ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Well, you happen to live in a good country for Psilocybe's. Mexico has more species diversity for that genus than anywhere else in the world. I'm sure not all areas are great, but I do know that Gastón Guzman spent most of his time in the cloud forests near Xalapa, Veracruz. Also, Allen Rockefeller has taken lots of pictures of the many different Psilocybe species found in that area of the cloud forests. Of course, the rainy season is the best time to search. If you know an expert who can make a positive ID take them with you or have them confirm the species before u even think of eating them, don't take any chances with mushrooms in this genus, there are some deadly look-alikes. That said, mushroom hunting is a great pursuit, I know I really enjoy it, just be cautious.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!