• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

I'm sorry to be bugging y'all with questions whose answers are somewhere on the site/archives. I prefer to be radically self-reliant but when I search Mycotopia for Rye, nothing comes up. When I google "Rye Quart Tek" I get 1001 variations. 

I just need three simple answers. 

I am now prepping two quarts of rye from the food co-op. 

I rinsed it four times in hot water and now I will boil it for 10 minutes and steep it for two hours.

After that I'll rinse it well and dry it before putting it in quart jars to PC. 

Does that sound good? 

then, questions: 

Should I put 1/4 cup of coarse vermiculite in the bottom of the jars before loading the rye in 3/4 full?

Should I shake it before I inoculate it? 

I have three 10cc syringes  (2B+, 1 GT). How many ccs/quart jar? 

Arigato

JP

#2 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

Here's my boiled 10 minutes, steeped 10 minutes, rinsed 6 times rye.
Do I have too many split kernels?4d3cc07ef81f9b89566633bc3a24f725.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#3 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

Sorry about the ginormous photo! I am learning, simultaneously, to use chat, use Tapatalk (which, for some reason on my phone the default language is Indonesian) and learning to prep grain.

It's feeling like a steep curve today. 

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

Kinda. But you can still use that. In the future do the same but don't boil. Just simmer and check every 10 minutes. So you can learn to recognize hydrated grain.you should just be able to pinch a kernel in half. Al dente if you will.

Verm in the bottom won't hurt.
  • Microbe and JanetPlanet like this

#5 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Some broken kernels but not bad and it looks like you got the starch rinsed off.

I don't do the verm in the bottom but some find it easy to shake because the bottom doesn't stick.

Most definitely shake the jars after they cool enough to handle with a towel or cloth gloves. You want to smack them around and break up the rye clumps.

If I doing quarts 2/3 full I'll use 2 cc per jar if the are nice and moist like yours. I've done 3 on jars that were on the dry side.

Shoot them down the sides of the jar and let them dribble down. I use a 2 hole lid and can tilt my jar on each hole and get two separate areas.

End up with like a letter A path down the sides.. Don't just inject in the middle of the jar and call it good. Works much better down the sides.

How is the growth going on the first jars?

Edited by roc, 24 March 2019 - 09:05 PM.

• JanetPlanet likes this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:33 PM

Down the sides is a bonus for new growers as well. I've always gone right down the middle, it gets anxious waiting to see growth that way. Jar can be damn near colonized before you can see it.
  • JanetPlanet likes this

#7 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Thanks you guys. 

The WBS quarts I inoculated last Saturday morning are going slowly. I inoculated each one with 10cc! Ignorance=extravagance.

I didn't shake the jars before inoculating. 

About three or four days in I lost faith that the high shelf was warm enough and went to a cooler with the dog's low wattage heating pad in it (sorry buddy). By wedging the top open I can maintain a temperature in there of 71-77F (the jars are about 4" from the pad, not touching). 

This is what they all look like tonight, after 9 days: a few mycelium balls at the top of each one on all four sides with a bit lower down. I did inoculate the sides of each jar. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190324_202139.jpg
  • 20190324_202313.jpg
  • small.jpg

Edited by JanetPlanet, 24 March 2019 - 10:55 PM.

#8 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

So that's 9 days growth. I don't know if I'm on track or slooooow. 

#9 roc

roc

• 7,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

Real slow but if it went down the middle you may not see what's happening there yet.

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

I genuinely thought, that's some weird growth right there! But, cute doggy.
  • Cuboid and JanetPlanet like this

#11 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

I genuinely thought, that's some weird growth right there! But, cute doggy.

Me to :)
  • JanetPlanet likes this

#12 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Janet, if you want to look for info, just go to the home page and scroll all the way down to the bottom.

You will find the archives listed there.  There is more info there than you can shake a stick at.

Just browse through them and I will bet you will find anything you are looking for.

Also, do not worry about asking questions.  There is always someone here that is glad to help.

Edited by mushit, 25 March 2019 - 10:09 AM.

• coorsmikey and JanetPlanet like this

#13 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

Another way to search the site is to use Google but tell it to restrict its search to a specific site, e.g.put "site:mycotopia.net grain hydration" in your google search bar.
  • RickG and JanetPlanet like this

#14 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

Real slow but if it went down the middle you may not see what's happening there yet.

I didn't shake it after I took it out of the PC and before I inoculated. Maybe that's why it's so slow? Should I shake it now?

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

I wouldn't yet.

Shaking out of the pc is to help prevent clumping and distribute any excess moisture, too late for that

Shaking after inoculation isn't neccesary, and is often not reccomended, I don't think it hurts anything.

If it's slow, but healthy, not much is going to speed it up.

If its slow, due to some negative impact, not much will fix it.

It may not be slow at all, just appears to be slow due to growth not apparent.

What seems slow? Has it been two weeks yet.

I'm lazy. I'll shoot spores right down the middle an never shake. Those jars seem slow, but overall colonization time is about the same.
  • mushit and JanetPlanet like this

#16 roc

roc

• 7,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Wait until there is at least 30 percent of the jar colonized before shaking.

• mushit and JanetPlanet like this

#17 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Thanks you guys.
The WBS quarts I inoculated last Saturday morning are going slowly. I inoculated each one with 10cc! Ignorance=extravagance.

About three or four days in I lost faith that the high shelf was warm enough and went to a cooler with the dog's low wattage heating pad in it (sorry buddy). By wedging the top open I can maintain a temperature in there of 71-77F (the jars are about 4" from the pad, not touching).

This is what they all look like tonight, after 9 days: a few mycelium balls at the top of each one on all four sides with a bit lower down. I did inoculate the sides of each jar.

Is that a white Mini Schnauzer?
  • JanetPlanet likes this

#18 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

Is that a white Mini Schnauzer?

He's a mongrel from the pound, my best guess is he's a Snickerdoodle or maybe a FlufferNutter. 

24 pounds, some fluff, some body whiskers, doesn't shed. The dearest dog ever. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#19 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

Some folks already mentioned but here are some thoughts.

• I don't think you need to rinse the rye pre cook. You may rinse once after cooking if you like. But I have not done rye before.
  • Your rye looks a bit over steeped. You mentioned 2 hr steep - seems a bit long. I have not done rye but when I precook oats, I have settled on 25 minutes of strong boil then drain +/- rinse. Perhaps rye would be similar but I don't know.
  • Your WBS looks great in terms of grain prep!! WBS can be a prob because of the different grains.
  • 10 cc may be a bit much for inoculation. I'm talking about the water and not the spores. I have settled on 4cc max for a quart and 2cc if the inoculant is particularly potent and healthy. Excess wetness will hurt you in the jar or substrate, particularly if you have invisible contamination.
  • As JK said, prob does not matter how you inject your jars and shake or not. I did a pair of jars two weeks ago. 4cc multispore. One jar I shook, one jar dribbled down the sides. The second showed evidence of growth on day 3 earlier and I shook it on day 7, I believe. The first one took about 5 days to develop a haze of growth all over and I never shook. They now look mature and about the same. Pick a technique or compare two different ones and tell us what happens.

• JanetPlanet likes this

#20 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,367 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

Thanks you guys.

I about shit myself. Scrolling through the pictures at first glance i thought you had the craziest rhizo growth i have ever seen then realized it was a pooch. Grains look good btw.
  • JanetPlanet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!