Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Mushrooms growing underneath peat layer.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

Whenever my FOAF grows using a casing layer, the mushrooms form and grow on the top. This time however they seem to be growing underneath and breaking through the peat/verm layer. He is used to seeing knotting before the mushrooms form. What are your thoughts? Should they be popping up like this or should they be forming on the top? Does it matter?

FOAF uses coir/manure for the first layer, then peat/verm for the top layer.

Thanks!

#2 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

It happens. Could be the casing layer is more packed or wetter than usual. Not really a huge problem though. Just a little more difficult to harvest when they dig out like that. A little more repair work may be required while picking.

Same strain as usual?

How thick is the casing layer?

#3 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, I think it is F+. Thanks for the peace of mind!

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:10 AM

Keep the substrate in the dark until you case it. Light will trigger pinning from the substrate if it's exposed for long periods.

#5 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

But thats what was confusing me, everything was in total dark. The mushrooms started growing in the dark.

#6 Cryingblackoil

Cryingblackoil

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

???

#7 phishinphree

phishinphree

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

FOAF left some casings in the dark while they colonized and got pins. Every 3 days or so they were checked on for 1-2 mins in the light. Maybe that was enough to trigger pinning but thats the least amount of light while still being able to check on them as he thinks anyone could do. The pins were longer and narrower than usual though and there were only a few. I really think they'll pin even if left completely dark but the pinset probably wouldn't be great.

#8 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

Well I do feel better now. All you people seem to have a calming effect on me. thanks! I've noticed some knotting on the very top so things are going back to what I was used to. Thank you very much!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!