• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

First off, I probably posted this in the wrong forum. I just didnt know where else to put it. But is the lid on my pc supposed to be a struggle to get off? Every time I take off the lid it takes so much force to unlock it, when it finally unlocks it's violent and loud.
  • Rantrapr likes this

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

"violent and loud" - sounds like it's still under pressure or developed a vacuum to me. You should equalise the pressure before opening, for ease and safety. What type of PC is it? Picture please? There ate different sorts of pressure release/regulation so can't give any more specific an answer yet.

#3 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

Honestly, I have never even put heat to it. I was just playing with the lid. Probably looking like a caveman who just discovered fire to tell you the truth haha never touched one of these before. Cant figure out posting pictures right now as technology isnt my strong suit. The pc is a presto pcc6. Is it possible a small vacuum was created just by the seal?? Just wondering...im noobing hard.

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

Ummm... Maybe but not too likely. Maybe its just a really tight fit?

#5 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

I might just try adding a little olive oil to the seal to loosen it up a little. Sorry for the goofy question, I just dont wanna blow up.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#6 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

While im on here though, can anybody tell me if pressure has to be completely on point when sterilizing? Will 14 psi make a huge difference?

#7 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

While im on here though, can anybody tell me if pressure has to be completely on point when sterilizing? Will 14 psi make a huge difference?

I think that you just increase the time a bit if the pressure is a bit lower. Wouldn't take that to extremes though. Like if you only got 5psi tripling the time might still not kill all the microbes that 15psi would. I don't -know- this to be true but seems logical.
  • Dimitri2teachme likes this

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,270 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Something wrong there. Is this new, return it. If its used, its warped. I wouldn't use it.

I'm assuming you realize there is exactly only way that lid cam go on right?
  • roc likes this

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

Presto pccc6 is vintage.

I'd be careful using it and if you do you need to replace the rubber seals.

Google it and you can see some old pictures on EBay but all I found on Presto was a parts list.

Be careful if it's the old vintage model. Gauge may stick and it may be warped / bent.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:13 AM

Like mentioned above, The gasket needs maintenance with oil. If its a well-designed unit with precision fitting Temperature will affect it. I have a 1947 yr model that is by far my fave PC. It will not open until the pressure is stable. Sounds like a quality PC to me.

#11 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:40 PM

First off, I probably posted this in the wrong forum. I just didnt know where else to put it. But is the lid on my pc supposed to be a struggle to get off? Every time I take off the lid it takes so much force to unlock it, when it finally unlocks it's violent and loud.

Some cases are just better made than others. I've had some that come off easily, some that were a PITA. The higher-quality ones shouldn't be a struggle, or there could be something inside such as wiring, that's binding up, or the case could be warped. The small cooling fans that are in most cases aren't going to be enough to create an appreciable vacuum, especially when you consider all the gaps at the drive bays, air intake, PSU, etc.

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,154 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:13 AM

Some cases are just better made than others. I've had some that come off easily, some that were a PITA. The higher-quality ones shouldn't be a struggle, or there could be something inside such as wiring, that's binding up, or the case could be warped. The small cooling fans that are in most cases aren't going to be enough to create an appreciable vacuum, especially when you consider all the gaps at the drive bays, air intake, PSU, etc.

Think Pressure Canner, not personal computer :)

#13 Dimitri2teachme

Dimitri2teachme

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Ok, it was actually a gift from a relative who knows what i do with myself haha. They told me they had replaced the seal a while ago, only used it about 2 or 3 times before it was stored away for years. The oil made it slip on and off just fine. Actually, once the relative found the hand book they gave it to me. The handbook said to put oil on the seal just as i had guessed lol after that it was presto! On and off with ease. I have some disappointing grain going so time to put this to work. And thank you JK for letting me know it can warp!! Something to watch for as I use it. As of right now I see no signs of this.
  • Cuboid likes this

#14 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

Think Pressure Canner, not personal computer :)

Ahhh. Yes, that's a bit different.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!