• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PalatableAmbrosias

PalatableAmbrosias

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

WOW! What an amazing section of the forums ! Somehow missed this in all my previous skims! 

I've recently added quail to my flock this year, and I have to recommend it to everyone. Rearing quail has been a blast, and a very fruitful endeavor indeed. Coturnix quail will lay nearly an egg a day for life once they start laying. AND GET THIS- They go from a freshly laid egg, to a bird laying eggs, in as short as 8-10 weeks. So once you put your eggs in the incubator, in about 10 weeks, if you have a female or two in there, youll have another bird laying more eggs! 

Aside from how quickly they go from eggs to egg layers, the eggs and meat of this bird are delicious. I'm sure some of you even already know it as a delicacy, and it is indeed. A great addition to any small or urban homestead. 

If anyone on here is rearing quail, please let me know how you've been finding it.  

• Skywatcher, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,781 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

Cool stuff,  the only experience I have with quail is with wild California quail that live around my inlaws farm back in Oregon.

• PalatableAmbrosias likes this

#3 PalatableAmbrosias

PalatableAmbrosias

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

A beautiful specimen! Californian quail aren't for eating, that's for sure. They're one of the species that picks a mate for life. Really nice looking quail. Coturnix are nice looking, but definitely look more like a game bird.  

• Juthro likes this

#4 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Do they stay around the farm like chickens or guineas or do they require a cage?

• Pan1 likes this

#5 PalatableAmbrosias

PalatableAmbrosias

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

The only reason they require a cage or pen imo, is because they're a big target for predators. Im getting mine out into a run soon, and it will likely be 100% enclosed, but on the ground so they can peck through the dirt and eat plants and bugs and such. We have a real rodent problem around here, and they'd be a quick meal otherwise. 

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

Lets see some picks of these birds! Just make sure you erase the EXIF info from them first.

• Juthro likes this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,781 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

Lets see some picks of these birds! Just make sure you erase the EXIF info from them first.

You want to see a bird....?

3c87d0bae0040cb721927e4160ed6cbe.jpg

(couldn't help myself :)

Edited by Juthro, 19 April 2019 - 12:18 PM.

• mushit and SteampunkScientist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!