Hello all my myco friends,
I am starting this post to document my progress through my first Lion's Mane grow. I am pretty new to this whole mushroom growing thing in general. I was just loaned Paul Stamet's book 'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms', but have not cracked it open yet. So this is all going off bits and pieces I have read about. I have a general idea of how things should go, and will fill in any gaps as they come along. I am looking forward to this grow going well and having a well documented process to follow and to share.
I have to wait until everything comes in, so this post is a bit premature, but I had a couple preparation questions I was hoping to get answers to. And of course, if anyone does look at this and give me suggestions or tips, I would be very grateful. After writing this up it seems like there is only a couple steps, but I also feel almost overwhelmed right now. As of now, my steps and a list of my supplies are below. I will have a SAB ready to used by the time I start this. All spawn and substrate will be PC'ed.
1. Inject some of my purchased culture into a couple homemade LC jars, this way I can keep a live culture going. Inoculate the rest of the purchased liquid culture into organic rye grain quart jars.
2. As the grains begin to colonize, I will give them a shake or two to make sure they look clean. Also, I hear you should shake Lion's Mane to make sure the grain jars fully colonize.
3. Once the jars are fully colonized, I will mix them with my supplemented hardwood mixture. I will place the mixture into some non-seal food bags I got at Walmart, and tie or tape the bags closed.
4. Cut some slits into the bags once they look ready to fruit.
-Lion's Mane Culture: https://mushroomgrow...culture-syringe
-Grain: Great River Organic Milling, Whole Grain, Rye Grain, Organic, 25-Pounds
-Wood Pellets: Bear Mountain BBQ 100% All-Natural Hardwood Pellets - Oak (20 lb. Bag)
-Bags: These are not the exact ones I bought, the ones I bought are larger, but the concept is the same.
Questions I have:
1. Has anyone made and kept a successful Lion's Main liquid culture? If you have, please share your recipe. I have never done LC yet, so I am going to try a couple recipes. (2% Karo, 2% Honey, 94% spring water) (2% Karo, 2% Honey, 74% spring water, 20% Coconut water). I have read a ton about the lc jar setup, so I feel comfortable 'as I can' with that process.
2. Should I add a top layer of dry vermiculite to the grain jars, as a contam barrier, or would it just get messed up with my first shake?